PDA

View Full Version : Coaching in the WTA/ATP, simple solutions.

tonysk83
06-04-2006, 03:17 PM
I don't know if this has been suggested to curb illegal coaching, but why don't they make coaches sit in a place where they won't be heard by the players. Instead of letting the coaches sit in their boxes 10 ft. from the players, how about make them sit in upper level boxes where unless they are yelling, can't be heard? Seems like a simple solution to me.

Max G.
06-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Seems like a simple solution to me. Would work - they might do something like that if coaching became a really big deal, I suppose. Right now it's not that major of an issue.

armand
06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
No, I have to sit close to have the best possible view of what my player is doing. It's important for me to see her grip and I cannot see that from far away.

Yes, I can see what she's doing in practice, but a match is different and I must see how the pressure affects her and if old habits crop back in.

arosen
06-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah, the coach needs to be close to see exactly what's happening, the footwork, the pronation, all the small details. However, that's for the small leagues, juniors etc. The pro guys, like top 100 and up, they are all set with small details. It doesn't matter anymore at that level. I know for a fact that Lundgren doesn't talk about grips with Safin, neither does Annacone with Henman.

OrangeOne
06-04-2006, 09:46 PM
No, I have to sit close to have the best possible view of what my player is doing. It's important for me to see her grip and I cannot see that from far away.

Yes, I can see what she's doing in practice, but a match is different and I must see how the pressure affects her and if old habits crop back in.

One would assume you'd be able to see the habits from their outcomes if not from the habits themselves? Ie. if you've changed your player's grip, there's a reason behind it and presumably it changes the shot, maybe adds or removes spin, for example. So.... even if you can't see the grip itself, wouldn't you be able to work out if she's reverted to an old grip from the changed shot itself - ie. with more or less spin, etc etc?

armand
06-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the coach needs to be close to see exactly what's happening, the footwork, the pronation, all the small details. However, that's for the small leagues, juniors etc. The pro guys, like top 100 and up, they are all set with small details. It doesn't matter anymore at that level. I know for a fact that Lundgren doesn't talk about grips with Safin, neither does Annacone with Henman.And that's why they stink! Seriously, they don't talk about grips because they don't need to! Why fix, if it ain't busted?One would assume you'd be able to see the habits from their outcomes if not from the habits themselves? Ie. if you've changed your player's grip, there's a reason behind it and presumably it changes the shot, maybe adds or removes spin, for example. So.... even if you can't see the grip itself, wouldn't you be able to work out if she's reverted to an old grip from the changed shot itself - ie. with more or less spin, etc etc?Yeah but no. There are so many variables to consider, that I would I feel totally helpless in only assuming what's going on with her. I have to know. And for that I gotta see!

OrangeOne
06-04-2006, 10:23 PM
There are so many variables to consider, that I would I feel totally helpless in only assuming what's going on with her. I have to know. And for that I gotta see!

Umm, err - binoculars!. A decent video camera with good zoom.

And anyways, the original thread was referring to the pros, and any of the pro coaches could quite easily access TV footage if they so choose, or equally pay someone else to film the match from up close. All of that said, as others have said, pro coaches aren't there to see the small stuff anyways.

Personally, for the original post - I agree - move the coaches back and so much less "illegal coaching" will happen. It's a rule, so while it's a rule it should be an enforced one!

raftermania
06-04-2006, 11:30 PM
They used to hire blokes to look down the net to watch for netcord lets. Why not hire the blokes who got laid off by the technology to watch the coaches?

Viper
06-04-2006, 11:57 PM
VAMOS *looks around to find the culprit*

35ft6
06-05-2006, 01:46 PM
They should allow a few minutes of coaching in between each set. It would be kind of exciting to see what the players will come out doing differently.

Max G.
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
They should allow a few minutes of coaching in between each set. It would be kind of exciting to see what the players will come out doing differently.

Or, you know, the players could think for themselves, and we'd get to see what they do differently when they come up with something on their own.