PDA

View Full Version : Roger skipping Stellar Artois?

BabolatFan
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
I know we're talking the FO Slam at the moment but I guess Roger is not playing at Stellar Artois before Wimbledon.

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 04:01 PM
I know we're talking the FO Slam at the moment but I guess Roger is not playing at Stellar Artois before Wimbledon.
he usually plays in halle (germany) the week of the queen's.

dubsplayer
He doesn't play Queens as far as I know. Usually Halle.

ACE of Hearts
Hey usually doesnt play there, he plays in Halle.

LowProfile
06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Stella Artois is Roddick's territory (not to say he can win it this year though). Federer plays Halle.

I think the Stella Artois draw is pretty loaded this year. Roddick and Agassi are going to be there. I'm pretty sure Nadal is entered as well.

raftermania
06-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Roger never plays Queen, he only plays in Halle.

dmastous
06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
That's 5 posts saying essentially the same thing. :rolleyes:
Glad everyone reads the answers to posts before adding their thoughts. ;)

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Wow, was that 5 posts saying essentially the same thing?
Good to know that everyone reads the answers to posts before chiming in. ;)

dmastous
06-04-2006, 09:08 PM
You forgot the eyes rolling emoticon. But everyone has to be their own person right?
;) ;)

Lee
06-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Wow, was that 5 posts saying essentially the same thing?
Good to know that everyone reads the answers to posts before chiming in. ;)

man, you are brilliantly hilarious. by the way, when are you coming back to Berkeley?

uno banana
06-04-2006, 09:14 PM
i think roger does it as a courtesy to andy :p

...otherwise he'd never win anything:-|

jamauss
06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
i think roger does it as a courtesy to andy :p

...otherwise he'd never win anything:-|
LOL - that was mean.

but funny.

superman1
06-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Roddick probably won't even win Stella Artois this year since the draw is pretty packed. Agassi, Ljubicic, Nadal, Blake. Who else?

raftermania
06-04-2006, 11:39 PM
The OP just got the Grandslam treatment, the four posters before me were the slams (Vive is definitely RG), while I was the bonus Year-end Masters.

Slicer, if you were to add your two cents, you'd be a challenger! burn!!!!!

Viper
06-04-2006, 11:54 PM
raftermania got you slicer.

slice bh compliment
06-05-2006, 04:03 AM
raftermania got you slicer.

Hall of Famer got me good. Kid's got skills, no question.

slice bh compliment
06-05-2006, 04:15 AM
The OP just got the Grandslam treatment, the four posters before me were the slams (Vive is definitely RG), while I was the bonus Year-end Masters.

Slicer, if you were to add your two cents, you'd be a challenger! burn!!!!!

Challenger, huh? Yeah, I can live with that. Never did get into the qualies of a Slam. Best I did was get into a few Challengers back in the day...which got me thinking about traveling, playing tennis, and the music of those times...and I put your post through this cool late eighties hip-hop translator on the web and it spit out this nifty Beastie Boys lyric:

[Hope y'all dig it...now this is raftermania to Slice>]

"...I got more stories than J.D.'s got Salinger,
I hold the title and you are the challenger."

raftermania = Shanghai...then maybe dmastous could be the Davis Cup final?

raftermania
06-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Funny - my initials are J.D.

ps here is my rebuttal:

If you try to knock me you'll get mocked
I'll stir fry you in my wok
Your knees'll start shaking and your fingers pop
Like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock

Breaker
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Roddick probably won't even win Stella Artois this year since the draw is pretty packed. Agassi, Ljubicic, Nadal, Blake. Who else?

Hewitt is going to be there right? He's going to take back the Queens throne that Roddick stole from him :twisted: :twisted: ...As long as he doesn't meet Dr. Ivo again :-|

slice bh compliment
06-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Funny - my initials are J.D.

ps here is my rebuttal:

If you try to knock me you'll get mocked
I'll stir fry you in my wok
Your knees'll start shaking and your fingers pop
Like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock
Interglactic planetary, planetary intergalactic....

Good one, JD...from a little known Beasties album, I think it was called Hello Nastase? In 1998, all ranked tennis players were issued a copy...or they should've been.

raftermania
06-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Haha, on the first scan, that looked like Hello Nasty. I gotcha!

But, you really played challengers when you were younger??? Which tournaments?

bcaz
06-05-2006, 11:40 PM
maybe he'd rather have a guinness ...

kooyah
06-06-2006, 02:03 AM
I wonder if Federer will be playing Halle since he's not playing Queens.

Shabazza
06-06-2006, 03:31 AM
I wonder if Federer will be playing Halle since he's not playing Queens.
you didn't read this thread, did you? :rolleyes:

slice bh compliment
06-06-2006, 03:43 AM
Haha, on the first scan, that looked like Hello Nasty. I gotcha!

But, you really played challengers when you were younger??? Which tournaments?

Before the days of Futures. Played satellites like a lot of post-college US players: [three to four weekers] all over the States, n. Africa, Asia and Europe, some money tournaments in France and the US. I fibbed a little about ATP Challengers (plural). Only actually got through qualies of just one challenger - Zaragossa, ESP. I think it is actually a tour event now? Got to see some cool places. No real budget (not enough at least, haha). It was a blast, but not easy living out of two bags, trying to get housing/cheap rooms/trasportation. Really on and off, too. Got to see parts of E. Europe before and after revolution. I will never forget it.

One of millions who did not make it into a Slam. Cannot really blame it on injuries. Just too much talent out there for me, even in satellites. Loved the tennis -- nice to see/be a part of the bottom of the 'pro' level. Pretty tough even 15-18 yrs ago. Much tougher now, I think. A different world, from what I see. It was a thrill to give it a shot. Made good friends, some from other countries. I improved so much and learned a LOT. Got to practice at a high level, too, with some players who were REALLY good (on their way up or on their way down). Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Loving my 'normal' life in cushy USA.
Sorry to momentarily highjack this thread ... I am skipping Stella Artois, too. Like bcaz, I think I'll have a Guinness after tennis tonight.

jings
06-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Shock! Someone on these boards who's not 12 and has some concept of how the game is played. Nuff respek (to continue the Beastie theme) slice bh - a little envy you were good enough to have a crack and brave enough to do it too.

raftermania
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I'll throw down an Ali G: RESPEKKKK FOR MY MAIN MAN, SLICER, WEST SIDEEE.

It's unfortunate that you could not make it in with the big boys, but nonetheless, an incredible life experience for you I bet! Tell us more SBC! Which players did you get to practice / play against?

william
06-06-2006, 12:30 PM
LOL - that was mean.

but funny.

and also true:mrgreen:

Docalex007
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Federer usually plays Halle and not Stella Artois.

slice bh compliment
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Federer usually plays Halle and not Stella Artois.

Hhhahahah! :D
Hmmm...I think I read that somewhere.

raftermania,
Hate to write a tell-all in this milieu. Yet.
My publisher told me to tell you the book will be in the stores soon.[kidding]

Well, I do not have much for you. Mostly the D-listers is who I hung around. But, maybe I can think of some 'name' guys who were on their way up (or recovering from injury...or on the way out).

Let's see: namedrop central....guys who played Slams before or after I encountered them? Believe it or not, I was playing when guys like Bjorkman, Rafter, Roger Rasheed, Bryan Shelton, Diego Nargiso, Mikael Pernfors, Ronald Agenor, Rodolphe Gilbert, Bruno Oresar, Goran Prpic, Gilbert Schaller, Kevin Ullyet, David Nainkin, Neville Godwin, Jared Palmer, Alex O'Brien, Sandon Stolle, Mark Keil, Doug Flach were playing smalltime stuff. So I was in the qualies of draws they were actually in. Got to hit with and lose to some of that crowd (not Rafter, unfortunately. That would have been pretty cool. And convenient for this thread. Oh well). Got a few wins here and there, though. Great times.

Mostly, I knew countless names nobody's ever heard of. Some of whom I'm still in touch with, which was unexpected. Email has helped rekindle some of that.

Oh, yeah, twice went three with Roberto Azar. I was not a top junior at all...I got a lot stronger in and after college, so I was kind of an unknown, but it was fun to get to put faces and games with the names I had only read in ITF draws and pros. Some tour coaches liked me 'cause I had good ball control and I could do volley drills well. So that was good for practice. And I could get by with a couple of different languages.

Not much done with WTA crowd. But, yeah, once or twice on clay in SC and FL I was a hitter. Not the best gig, at least for me, but it was okay. Arantxa was really gracious, always. Same with Conchita Martinez. Really all I know, but I moved on to a jobby-job, and writing and coaching privately.

An old buddy of mine stuck with the whole hitting and tour coaching thing. Got a sweet gig as a hitting partner for Hingis for a yr or 2. Was paid well, and really liked Hingis and even Melanie Zogg/Molitor or whatever. Was dropped pretty suddenly. Don't know why (still don't think he knows either), but he was about to turn 30. I told him so. That is a weird gig, 'cause they want you to hit a certain way. Not my style.

Anyway, later on, man.
Peace.

EDIT: forgot a fun one. Had played Joe Giuliano way back. Hardly knew him, really. NEVER socialized with him, but he was a decent player. Well, I ran into him at the Open a few years ago. He was coaching Elena Bovina. I felt he had a crush on her. She would yell at him and he'd smile. Strange relationship. Very fishy individual. Chain smoker, too. Now I understand he's on the run. Shocker.

raftermania
06-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Sorry Slice, but for some reason I thought you were older!!! I actually recognize a bunch of those names, doesn't Ullyet still play doubles?

When you saw Rafter playing the smalltimes, did you think he could turn into what he did?

Arantxa was reknowned for her moonballs, what kind of shots did you have to hit with her, did you have to play a lot of moonball rallies with her? (Forgive my pro tour naivety!) And Conchita Martinez too, huh? That's spicy man, good for you! Were you around when Conchita had that handshake controversy with Patty Schnyder?

Yes, the first time I saw Giuliano was coaching the New York Sportimes. He didn't look like the tennis type at all, in fact, I thought he was taken off the Yankees bench. Go figure, huh?

Thanks for the insights Slice.

Tchocky
06-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Has Roger ever played this tournament? He can't play both. He's had success in Halle plus the prize money is a little better.

kooyah
06-08-2006, 01:01 AM
you didn't read this thread, did you? :rolleyes:

I did, but I don't think enough people mentioned if Roger is playing Halle instead of Queens.

jings
06-08-2006, 01:13 AM
What are the odds that Fed wins FO and then bails from Halle - no warm up on grass and just goes to England and practices. Mad, nonsense I hear. Until you consider his winning run on grass. Far better to rest up, take 5, hang ten, and ease yourself into grass, than go straight to Halle and be drained after FO and get knocked out 1st round ... just a thought. It's not like he needs the match practise right now.

BabolatFan
06-08-2006, 11:38 AM
What are the odds that Fed wins FO and then bails from Halle - no warm up on grass and just goes to England and practices. Mad, nonsense I hear. Until you consider his winning run on grass. Far better to rest up, take 5, hang ten, and ease yourself into grass, than go straight to Halle and be drained after FO and get knocked out 1st round ... just a thought. It's not like he needs the match practise right now.

Actually it's not nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if Roger skips Halle especially after winning the FO. He's going for the golden slam.