PDA

View Full Version : Agony of coach-

jun
03-03-2004, 08:45 AM
It's not my situation, but I know one pro at this club (college indoor tennis stadium).

He is suffering from chronic arm problem (elbow,wrist). He usually teaches 3~4+ session a day for 5 days a week. So it's about 3~4 hours of playing, and ball feeding. Plus he plays 2 times a week or so. He's about 5.0, using PS 6.1 Classic, 55lb.

I think it's really taking its toll on his body. He's not at a liberty of taking a month or two off...

For any of you teaching pros out there, please share any tips/advices to minimize the toll on the body-

Thanks

Bungalo Bill
03-03-2004, 08:54 AM
It is a very difficult thing to do. First, he obviously loves the game. Second, it is his livelyhood.

I have noticed that my tennis game has deteriated somewhat, fortwo reasons, getting older and feeding balls.

A three things might help: swtich to a lighter less demanding racquet to feed balls with. Where arch supports or orthotics in his shoes, that will preserve his knees. Take some time off of "playing" tennis.

This is a difficult catch 22 every coach has to control. Less time on the court, the body heals, but the income suffers. Sometimes it gets so bad (pain) that it forces coaches out of making a living doing it.

Make sure (I am sure he is doing this) stays in excellent shape, keeping the wieght off, taking vitamins, and eating good foods that regenerate the body. If he does these things it will help prolong his career. Otherwise, it comes with the turf.

Eric Matuszewski
03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Teaching pro's definitelly do not have it easy. Especially if you care about doing a good job and putting energy into things, it will take a toll on your body. Here are some tricks to make it thru the pounding..

1) Warning this will sound crazy to alot of people!

Learn how to feed/play Lefty (opposite hand).

I started teaching myself a couple years ago and I've gotten myself fairly ambidextrous now. (feeding/serve/forehands).

It really saves you if you want to still be a player. You can effectively save your dominant side for playing and use the non-dominant for feeding. (I actually feed better lefty now than righty). It will help also visually for your left handed students to have someone they can watch who can actually do it.

2) Orthotics have helped me as well.

3) When you develop a problem see a Doctor or Physical Therapist quickly before it turns into a big problem. Strains eventually turn into debilitating "trigger points" (Scar tissue that wont let cellular waste product excape and "burns" after using it for a extended period of time) if there are not treated promptly then treatment is more intense/expensive and takes longer. I have one in my right side rhomboid minor that is definitelly no fun.

4) Get massages on a regular basis. They really do help keep you in shape! Even the ones from the guys with the funny chairs on the street/malls are better than nothing. I go to the guy at the mall, for 10 bucks a session and it is a steal! If in So Cal I think I saw some at Venice last time I was there. NY area has em everywhere, especially summertime. More rural you'll probably have to go to a studio but it's worth it.

5) Make Resistance training a habit. Low grade repetitive movements tend to destroy and create problems (white fibers atropy and your weaker, see and A+P book for details). With extra strength from weight training you should be able to last longer through the day with less overload.

Bill I see your logged on, how's it hanging?

Bungalo Bill
03-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Good post Eric,

I like the "learn how to feed with the opposite hand". I will have to think about that one for myself. it is going good, had some rain, now it is clear as a bell. good tennis weather.