PDA

View Full Version : smartest pro on tour?

andyroddick's mojo
06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
who's the smartest or most intelligent person on the tour?

RiosTheGenius
06-04-2006, 09:58 PM
do you mean on court??, in general??
it's hard to tell as I have not seen any of them handling non-tennis situations...
as for on the court... there's many guys using their head out there, but the ones I find to be the smartest and the ones who make the most clever adjustments to win matches:

1 David Nalbandian
2 Tommy Robredo
3 Nicolas Massu
4 Lleyton Hewitt
5 Arnaud Clement
6 Guillermo Canas

in the women side no one really thinks out there aside Martina Hingis and the Belgians

superman1
06-04-2006, 10:02 PM
And Roger Federer is conspicuously missing from your list...you know, the guy that wins everything.

I think he meant smartest off the court, and how would anyone have any idea of that? Blake went to Harvard for 2 years, does that make him the smartest? Maybe not.

HollerOne5
06-04-2006, 11:16 PM
And Roger Federer is conspicuously missing from your list...you know, the guy that wins everything.

I think he meant smartest off the court, and how would anyone have any idea of that? Blake went to Harvard for 2 years, does that make him the smartest? Maybe not.

No, you have to realize a lot of pro athletes that are THAT good, become more priviledged when attending prestigious schools like Harvard, even though they would never make it in on academics alone.

Return_Ace
06-04-2006, 11:26 PM
i think one commentator said that arnaud clement was the only one in the top 50/100 to have a degree.... he's got one in maths (i think)

alienhamster
06-05-2006, 01:46 AM
No, you have to realize a lot of pro athletes that are THAT good, become more priviledged when attending prestigious schools like Harvard, even though they would never make it in on academics alone. What is your deal with Blake, dude? It's almost like you have a personal mission to bring him down on these boards here. (I think you're doing it for the attention, and so far it's workng . . . .)

In interviews Blake seems to speak well and offers a intellectual engagement with tennis and non-tennis issues. Whether or not it's a result of "fine schooling" doesn't matter. The guy's smart, and he actually reads smart stuff (so I hear) and thinks well.

Nalbandian and Santoro seem exceptionally smart to me. Escude (back in the day) did as well. Roddick is pretty damn smart OFF the court.

And while I used to be a naysayer about Fed's intelligence, I'm starting to believe more and more that he is a pretty sharp guy.

Ztalin
06-05-2006, 01:56 AM
alien, I like Blake, but the guy's argument is legit. How do we know if Blake could get into Harvard on academic achievement alone? I'm not saying that he couldn't, but there is definitely favouring if you're famous (like Jonathan Taylor Thomas; he went to Harvard, and was definitely a shoe-in at admissions).

What was Blake's degree in anyway?

edit: I originally thought that he got a master's degree in his two years, but it turns out that he went there for undergrad, and merely didn't finish. My bad.

chess9
06-05-2006, 02:42 AM
On court intelligence has a hands down winner:
(The envelope please. Thank you!)
FABRICE SANTORO wins!

If Fabrice had Federer's serve and forehand, well....

Who cares about real world intelligence? :)

Anyway, I'm no fan of psychometrics and doubt it's a science. Probably worse than phrenology....

-Robert

RadekStepanekTheKing
06-05-2006, 03:00 AM
Andre Agassi

Radek Stepanek ( he knows how to attract women unless you are good looking..:rolleyes: )

malakas
06-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Arnaud Clement must be the most educated.In his bio it says that he got serious about tennis after passing the bac (French high school diploma) in 1995 with a B.S. diploma in mathematics.
I think that this is an indication that he must be very smart.Training while studying..Hell,I can't do even half of it..:(

Alejandro D
06-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Nalbandian, Federer, Santoro. Coria is (was?) quite smart too.

HyperHorse
06-05-2006, 07:20 AM
im not sure if this is true, but i heard Mats Wilander studied physics @ university....

35ft6
06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Based on their play...

- Nalbandian
- Ljubicic
- Santoro
- Federer
- McEnroe

Based on interview...

- Safin
- Roddick
- Santoro
- Federer
- Tursunov

topspinmonkey
06-05-2006, 01:53 PM
rafael nadal

simi
06-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Todd Martin is pretty intellegent.

RiosTheGenius
06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Based on their play...

- Nalbandian
- Ljubicic
- Santoro
- Federer
- McEnroe

Based on interview...

- Safin
- Roddick
- Santoro
- Federer
- Tursunov
wait wait wait wait...... Roddick can be funny... but he doesn't sound like a very intellectual character to me. I 'm not sure if there's too much to talk about with him. ... at least that's what I get from him.

vkartikv
06-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Wouldn't that be Blake purely because of the univ. he attended?

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I remember reading a Safin interview, and he said that you can base what type of person someone is from the way they play tennis and how they act on the court...i completely agree.....

Conclusion: Santaro = Pansy

35ft6
06-06-2006, 05:14 AM
wait wait wait wait...... Roddick can be funny... but he doesn't sound like a very intellectual character to me. I 'm not sure if there's too much to talk about with him. ... at least that's what I get from him.He's one of the wittiest interview subjects in tennis, up there with Hingis and Safin. I'm talking about tennis wit, I'm not saying any of these people are Oscar Wilde. I remember some site or magazine had a collection of the best interview responses of the year. I think 25% of them were from Roddick.

Ivanišević
06-06-2006, 05:46 AM
definitly Mario Ancic.. he studies law, 3rd year..

Feņa14
06-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Tim Henman seems pretty clever and knows alot about the world.

His parents are pretty rich so he may of been to a private school but i'm not sure.

He does come across like an intelligent lad on TV.