PDA

View Full Version : donald young or sam querrey?

andyroddick's mojo
06-04-2006, 09:44 PM
who would win in a head to head showdown? i mean, d young hasn't won a single atp match or a single set, but sam querrey has won a couple sets, does that make him better? does anyone know what these guys use, like strings,?

J-man
06-05-2006, 04:15 AM
Donald young beat Sam Last year, I don't remeber the score though. So I think I would put my money on Donald.

themyth
06-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Young beat him at the Easter Bowl I think either this year or last, but three years from now I think we will still be talking about Sam and Young will be a distant memory. Great hands and no work ethic don't go very far.

BabolatFan
06-05-2006, 08:46 AM
I agree they have no great work ethics. It'll be a tough road for the both of them.

mJeez4293
06-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Sam would definately own Do-yo. He went to three with blake, young lost o and o to a guy blake beat o and o next round. i think that proves a point.

Rob_C
06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Sam would definately own Do-yo. He went to three with blake, young lost o and o to a guy blake beat o and o next round. i think that proves a point.

How about the fact that DY beat Querrery in the finals of Kalamazoo last year, does that count, or not?

Count Grishnackh
06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
They both stink. I'd pick Querry only because Young is just plain worse and he's no talent. America is screwed for a while. Get used to watching more Nadal, Monfils, Djokovic, Gasquet for the next 10 years.

Bones08
06-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Donald Young would win!!! Should have, Could have, Would have, Will have, A Bunch of Nothing- Donald beat him so that shows where there at as of now! An dDonald is way younger!

Max G.
06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
At this point it totally doesn't matter who would win if they played.

What matters is which one of them will be the one who will be able to, over the next 2-3-4 years, improve their game to the point where they can beat the pros. Which one of them is slightly further along that road right now is irrelevant, what matters is how far along the road they'll get.

GRANITECHIEF
06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Who wants to bet that SQ makes a QF, SEMI, Final or wins a title before DY?

dukemunson
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
A QF, SF, or Final of what? Neither of these guys have any chance of making it to an ATP QF so then what is the question...I guess the only answer is this, Yes...I can see both guys making many QF, SF, and final appearances in decently sized open money tournaments and Future level events.

Jonas
06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Who wants to bet that SQ makes a QF, SEMI, Final or wins a title before DY?

Granitechief,
Are you STILL making bets against Donald Young? I remmeber you saying that he wouldn't win the easter bowl.
Have you ever seen Sam play? Sam has big shots, but lacks movement, and I don't mean it's something he can improve on. He's a big "lurch" type of guy. He is never going to be a good mover, not even an average mover. He will have to serve and volley to make a living on the ATP tour and the problem is that he doesn't volley very well either (compared to atp level guys)
Donald on the other hand can fly around the court has incredible hands, but is lacking a big weapon right now. Are you sure you are willing to bet some $$$ that DY isn't going to hit a growth spurt and develope a couple of weapons to go along with those hands and that speed??
I hope both guys do great, but I certainly wouldn't take Sam over Donald at this point with cash on the line.

Shabazza
06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
At this point it totally doesn't matter who would win if they played.

What matters is which one of them will be the one who will be able to, over the next 2-3-4 years, improve their game to the point where they can beat the pros. Which one of them is slightly further along that road right now is irrelevant, what matters is how far along the road they'll get.
Stop making sense!

GRANITECHIEF
06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Granitechief,
Are you STILL making bets against Donald Young? I remmeber you saying that he wouldn't win the easter bowl.
Have you ever seen Sam play? Sam has big shots, but lacks movement, and I don't mean it's something he can improve on. He's a big "lurch" type of guy. He is never going to be a good mover, not even an average mover. He will have to serve and volley to make a living on the ATP tour and the problem is that he doesn't volley very well either (compared to atp level guys)
Donald on the other hand can fly around the court has incredible hands, but is lacking a big weapon right now. Are you sure you are willing to bet some $$$ that DY isn't going to hit a growth spurt and develope a couple of weapons to go along with those hands and that speed??
I hope both guys do great, but I certainly wouldn't take Sam over Donald at this point with cash on the line.

Not so much making bets against Donald except betting that Sam would achieve pro success earlier. I too hope they both achieve success on the tour and the sooner the better.

I have seen Sam play, I thought he moved very well and his shots were huge. You say he's so terrible, lurchy and slow, bla bla, but look who got a 6-1 set off James Blake recently, also got a set off Spadea and also got a win at Indian Wells first round. Now what has Young done? Oh yeah, just lost in the 2nd round of the FO BOYS competition!!! I'd still make the bet, oh yeah!!

GRANITECHIEF
06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
A QF, SF, or Final of what? Neither of these guys have any chance of making it to an ATP QF so then what is the question...I guess the only answer is this, Yes...I can see both guys making many QF, SF, and final appearances in decently sized open money tournaments and Future level events.

You think neither guy has a chance to make a QF of an ATP event in their whole career? All right then, lets just keep a running gentlemens bet on that. I think either one could win 3 matches at the tennis channel open (VEGAS) or the mercedes benz (UCLA) or similar level event at a MINIMUM.

Jonas
06-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Not so much making bets against Donald except betting that Sam would achieve pro success earlier. I too hope they both achieve success on the tour and the sooner the better.

I have seen Sam play, I thought he moved very well and his shots were huge. You say he's so terrible, lurchy and slow, bla bla, but look who got a 6-1 set off James Blake recently, also got a set off Spadea and also got a win at Indian Wells first round. Now what has Young done? Oh yeah, just lost in the 2nd round of the FO BOYS competition!!! I'd still make the bet, oh yeah!!

If you thought Sam moved well (even average) than we really have nothing more to argue about.
Maybe you think Justin Gimelstob moves well also? :)
Also, I didn't say Sam was terrible, I just think Dy's upside is a lot greater.

Zeph
06-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Im pretty sure Young is undefeated in large non-slam junior tournaments this year. Whereas Querry has lost a few times including to Young. Im not sure but i think it went 3 sets.

pswami
06-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Third round, not second.

To me it looks like while Sam's the better player now, Young has better fundamentals, and thus, more potential.

GRANITECHIEF
06-06-2006, 04:06 PM
If you thought Sam moved well (even average) than we really have nothing more to argue about.

I'd say debating more than arguing, as arguing tends to associate negative emotion, of which i have none. Sam moved reasonbly well for a 6'6" rookie. Gimelstob is awesome at diving for balls.

So since you think Dy's upside is greater, then you'd bet he will reach at least a QF before Sam?

GRANITECHIEF
06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Im pretty sure Young is undefeated in large non-slam junior tournaments this year. Whereas Querry has lost a few times including to Young. Im not sure but i think it went 3 sets.

Yes, i think you are correct. But i'd guess Sam is done with juniors now and he has definitely had much greater success and shown more promise, at this juncture, at the pro level.

Rob_C
06-06-2006, 04:13 PM

I'm pretty sure Querrey hasnt played a jr tourney since Kalamazoo last year. Dy has only played 2 so far this year. He'll probably only play Kalamazoo (for the WC), Wimby jrs, & US Open jrs the rest of the year in jrs, maybe the Orange Bowl also.

Just checked, Querrey's last jr tourney was the US Open jrs last year. Querrey's last year of eligibility for jrs wast last year. DY can still play up till '07, if he wants.

GRANITECHIEF
06-06-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Querrey hasnt played a jr tourney since Kalamazoo last year. Dy has only played 2 so far this year. He'll probably only play Kalamazoo (for the WC), Wimby jrs, & US Open jrs the rest of the year in jrs, maybe the Orange Bowl also.

I wonder why he doesn't focus on Futures/Challengers so that he can get the ranking up a little, eventually getting into some small tourneys/or qualies. Must just not be ready for that level yet?

Rob_C
06-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I wonder why he doesn't focus on Futures/Challengers so that he can get the ranking up a little, eventually getting into some small tourneys/or qualies. Must just not be ready for that level yet?

If you're referring to DY, he has been playing Futures. The only pro tourneys he's played this year have been Futures, he's played 7 I believe. He's done ok, 1 SF, 1 or 2 QF, couple of 2nd rd losses, couple of 1st rd losses.

Just checked again, he's played IW, Miami, and a challenger.

Jonas
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I'd say debating more than arguing, as arguing tends to associate negative emotion, of which i have none. Sam moved reasonbly well for a 6'6" rookie. Gimelstob is awesome at diving for balls.

So since you think Dy's upside is greater, then you'd bet he will reach at least a QF before Sam?

Well,
It really just depends, Sam won't be making a run at any atp tourneys anytime soon, but he could possibly quarter or semi at a futures or maybe even a challenger.
Dy is still 3 years away from developing physically. I might be willing to bet that by the time DY matures that Sam still will not have made it into the main draw of tour level events.
Once and if Donald grows he will have no problem getting his ranking inside the top 100.
The most important aspect of the men's game today is movement and Donald has speed to burn. The second most important aspect is probably the serve (which Sam already has). Thirdly, I would say that hands are next up in line. Donald has amazing hands at net, but his hands also extend out towards the baseline where he handles balls very much like a young Rios.
He's got a lot of pressure on him right now and it doesn't matter if it was brought on by himself or not, it's still a lot for a kid of his age.
In my opinion, he's a sure thing and a safe bet. If he was a stock, I'd take 20,000 shares.

BattleAxe
06-06-2006, 04:41 PM
They both stink.

Right. I'm sure your game is much better.

dukemunson
06-06-2006, 05:05 PM
To say Donald Young is a "sure thing" is humorous at best...he obviousaly has talent but making it into the top 100 takes a lot more then just talent (of which it also obviousaly takes a tremendous amount as well). Perhaps if he were winning the Junior Slams with ease (like Monfils did) one could characterize him as at least close to a sure thing but a kid (no matter the age) losing continually in first and second rounds of futures and second round of a junior slam is anything but a sure thing...what he is, and querry is, and any other of these other top juniors is, is a long shot. Junior success is nice and can propel you to the top (like Roddick), but at the same time, for every Roddick theres 10 guys like Phillip King, Andrew Park or Robert Yim who dominated the Juniors yet found the pro tour a completely different level. It's cliche to say the game is quite mental, but when it comes to traveling 40 weeks a year in terrible spots of the country and world (Decauter Illinois, St. Joe Missouri, Namibia, Romania, etc...) it truly is as much mental as tennis ability. Querry can serve 140mph all day, but can he handle 3 straight first round losses in a Satellite circuit in India coupled with an injury or two. As for Young he better start delivering on these Wildcards as the USTA loves giving them to their current "future star"...but their pretty quik to find a new one as well...

Zeph
06-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Its sad to see Young play in sort of a no mans land of tennis.

He cant move up permanently to the ATP tour because he'll get dominated, but on the JR's hes dominating already.

Since it appears hes going to play juniors for awhile, hes not going to be able to get a quick start to his pro career, if he does go pro.

Fee
06-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Sam Querrey won his first match as a pro today in Yuba City.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2006/2212/mds.pdf

www.yubacitychallenger.com

Fee
06-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Its sad to see Young play in sort of a no mans land of tennis.

He cant move up permanently to the ATP tour because he'll get dominated, but on the JR's hes dominating already.

Since it appears hes going to play juniors for awhile, hes not going to be able to get a quick start to his pro career, if he does go pro.

If? DY has been a pro since last year. There is an exception in the rules that allows him to play junior events for a little while longer (not sure exactly what it is, not inspired enought to look it up).

Rob_C
06-07-2006, 01:15 AM
If? DY has been a pro since last year. There is an exception in the rules that allows him to play junior events for a little while longer (not sure exactly what it is, not inspired enought to look it up).

He can play as long as he's age eligible, which he will be till '07.

cmb
06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Sam Querrey # 353 atp

DY #592

DY has won no matches at the challenger level...Sam has won matches at challenger level and even advanced to the finals of a futures tournament.
Sam has shown the ability to win matches to get his ranking into the top 400, DY has not won any matches higher then the futures level and routinely gets bent over by futures level players and average college players.

Bones08
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Wasn't the question about head to head???!!!!! But this discussion is pretty good, but head to head shows and it's D.Young!

prostaff1
06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Bones makes a good point. Can't argue with the head to head.

It also seems that people who keep bashing Donald Young forget to realize that he is still only 16. Gasquet was playing pro events when he was 15/16 until he broke through at 18. And now look at the year he is having.
Even worse, look at Ginepri- he can't buy a match and he's an accomplished player.
Clearly it takes time, and experience to LEARN HOW TO WIN MATCHES at the ATP level. Hopefully physical maturation will occur for Donald Young sooner than later and he will start to win. Even a guy as physically big as Scoville Jenkins hasn't made a big break and he's also quite a bit older.

GRANITECHIEF
06-27-2006, 02:47 PM

Well apparently i'm not the only one that thought Sam wasn't to bad of a mover. A gentlemen by the name of Andre Agassi, perhaps you've heard of him, said the following in his post win interview today:

Q. Speaking of young players, you had a chance to spend a few days with Sam Querrey getting ready to come over here. Did you see enough of him to render an opinion on what his future might be?

ANDRE AGASSI: Yeah, well, I practiced with him. He's a real good player. He has a lot of room for improvement. You can't teach being 6'6". The guy is a big guy who actually moves well for his size, has a real nice two handed backhand, certainly a big serve. Once he starts learning how to play the court a little bit better, he's going to be a big factor down the road.