PDA

View Full Version : What a turn for this Guy

RiosTheGenius
06-05-2006, 12:10 AM
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playersearch=Vassallo+Arguello%2C+Mar tin

this guy is the real winner of the French Open. he's ranked 182, passed a few rounds of a major, and now he will be in the 120s probably next week, meaning he can now enter atp events, and possibly enter the main draw of wimby (not so sure based on their funny ways) and the US open. let alone he made this week more money than he made in his entire career (he's 26). I like to see stuff like this. this makes tennis great... all those guys who play the challengers and future tourneys are my boys, they really play so they can eat. much respect to guys like Vassallo Arguello.

raftermania
06-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Good work Vassallo, did you take that profile picture in the Sahara desert?

CivicLx
06-05-2006, 01:34 PM
yeah I heard a little bit about him on tv...how he was living paycheck to paycheck, sounded like he's had to borrow money from friends and even live in his car for awhile...that's great to see him get this far and hopefully from now on life will be a little easier for him:)

arosen
06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Making a living playing tennis is so damn hard I always feel happy for the guys that make it. Good for him. I was super happy for Tursunov to finally make it too, he had to buy his racquets when he beat Henman at Wimby! No sponsor, no nothing...these guys have it tough

Defcon
06-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Watching his heartfelt celebration after winning each round was one of the best sights of RG. This is what makes clay different - for every 100 boring grindfests, you get a nice story like this that can change someone's life.

AAAA
06-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Making a living playing tennis is so damn hard I always feel happy for the guys that make it. Good for him. I was super happy for Tursunov to finally make it too, he had to buy his racquets when he beat Henman at Wimby! No sponsor, no nothing...these guys have it tough

Any idea which racquet he used at wimbledon last year?

diegaa
06-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Watching his heartfelt celebration after winning each round was one of the best sights of RG. This is what makes clay different - for every 100 boring grindfests, you get a nice story like this that can change someone's life.

Yeah, i feel happy for my fellow countryman. But i couldnt watch any of his matches.
Does anyone have a link to watch their "celebrations"?

Tennis_Monk
06-05-2006, 08:21 PM

IT is a result of choice they made when they chose to become Tennis Pro. While i agree and sympathize with them a bit, I dont think they have it any tougher than many others like students, engineers etc. All said and done every profession has its ups and downs. Life as a sports Pro is comparatively tough owing to a shorter limelight span.

They could have chosen other professions (just like us choosing to become tennis pros) . Ppl make their choices based on their own criteria. Once the choices are made , one has to take whatever it throws.

Matthew
06-05-2006, 11:39 PM
My impression, which may or may not be true in all, most, or even some cases, is that most of these players who are playing professionally grew up in a pretty wealthy environment and have parents with some money. It isn't like some of these players have nowhere to turn to if they aren't winning. I understand this may be different in other parts of the country, but there aren't too many starving tennis players in American I don't think.