PDA

View Full Version : Watch out, Davydenko is in the zone

unjugon
06-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Anyone impressed by the quality of Davydenko´s game recently? He is just crushing the ball from side to side. He just rolled over Moya like he wasn´t even there, and dispatched Gaudio comfortably -it´s not like Gaudio was playing bad either.

Corretja was saying on TV how Davydenko deserves these results since he is the hardest worker out there, and how he would be practicing with his brother at noon, you would go to eat lunch, talk, dessert, coffee, etc, and then you would come back and Davydenko would still be there training with his brother, always doing the same excersice -one ball to the forehand, one to bakchand, rinse and repeat 500 times.

Comments? Can he be a surprise winner?

Max G.
06-05-2006, 03:09 AM
He's certainly lived up to expectations at this French Open. This is the tournament that's giving him the most points in his ranking, and he's defending them well.

J-man
06-05-2006, 03:13 AM
I didn't think Davydenko would have the run he had. Up to FO he had some "mixed bag' results so to speak. I doubt he could win, though

Alejandro D
06-05-2006, 05:31 AM
He has a very challenging match tomorrow against Nalbandian, He's playing great. I think he has a good chance to get to the FO SFinals for 2nd consecutive year.

HyperHorse
06-05-2006, 06:27 AM
He is one tough player...
next Russian ironman after Kafelnikov...
i hope he goes well...
isnt anyone kinda tired of Spaniards/South Americans winning the french?

Feña14
06-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I sure hope he can go all the way, I agree he has been playing some lights out stuff so far and will need to be all that and possibly more to beat Nalbandian tomorrow.

His odds at the start of the week were 66/1, i'm glad I snapped him up then. He is going to need to raise his game even more this week as it looks almost certain that he will have to beat Nalbandian, Federer and Nadal back to back to take the title. They aren't the top 3 ranked for nothing! ;)

Rhino
06-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Yeah this guy worries me. He can do some serious damage when he stays cool. I expect him to take out Nalbandian and then give Roger a big scare. He gets a little nervy when push comes to shove though, remember those 6 set points against Fed at the Aus Open? That was an extremely close match, and had he kept it together it would've been anybodys. And he's the business on clay.

MR. 81
06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
How well is he playing? I reckon I haven't seen him this year. You think he beats Nalbandian?

BabolatFan
06-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Anyone impressed by the quality of Davydenko´s game recently? He is just crushing the ball from side to side. He just rolled over Moya like he wasn´t even there, and dispatched Gaudio comfortably -it´s not like Gaudio was playing bad either.

Corretja was saying on TV how Davydenko deserves these results since he is the hardest worker out there, and how he would be practicing with his brother at noon, you would go to eat lunch, talk, dessert, coffee, etc, and then you would come back and Davydenko would still be there training with his brother, always doing the same excersice -one ball to the forehand, one to bakchand, rinse and repeat 500 times.

Comments? Can he be a surprise winner?

Davydenko's in FO this year? J/K I know he was in the semi's last year but haven't even seen a glimpse of him yet at RG...

arosen
06-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Nikolai loves playing in France, and if Nalby lets him build a 2 set lead, like he did against Tursunov, there will be no comeback.

rod99
06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
i was at the davydenko/moya match. it was total domination and the score (something like 1, 5, and 3) was closer than the match actually was since he blew a 5-2 lead in the second. he was hitting winners from everywhere.

Gost
06-05-2006, 01:34 PM
I hope his shoulder will be OK tomorrow... It was bothering him on last game.

LowProfile
06-05-2006, 02:15 PM
He is one tough player...
next Russian ironman after Kafelnikov...
i hope he goes well...
isnt anyone kinda tired of Spaniards/South Americans winning the french?

Kafelnikov was by no stretch of the imagination an ironman. That guy won his fair share of big titles, but each year he would have about 15 inexplicable losses to opponents ranked far below him. Somewhat inconsistent guy, and that's not like Davydenko.

If you mean their games are similar, I would have to agree with you on that.

tennissavy
06-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I have been very impressed by Davydenko ever since he switched to the O3 tour racquet. He has been playing at such a high level ever since. His match against Nalbandian should be terrific and close.

HyperHorse
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Kafelnikov was by no stretch of the imagination an ironman. That guy won his fair share of big titles, but each year he would have about 15 inexplicable losses to opponents ranked far below him. Somewhat inconsistent guy, and that's not like Davydenko.

If you mean their games are similar, I would have to agree with you on that.

well hey Kafelnikov was top 5, played doubles AND singles at Grand slams, and played over 20 tournaments a year...
where as guys like Sampras etc would only play around 13...
see my point?

grif
06-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Denko's a very underrated player. He hits the ball really clean and his groundstrokes are relentless.

LowProfile
06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
well hey Kafelnikov was top 5, played doubles AND singles at Grand slams, and played over 20 tournaments a year...
where as guys like Sampras etc would only play around 13...
see my point?

He played that many tournaments because he lost in the early rounds so often. Sampras would play deep into almost every tournament. They played about the same number of matches really.