PDA

View Full Version : Best String at any Price?

Benjamin
03-03-2004, 09:03 AM
I'm going to try a new string job for either my Wilson Hyper ProStaff 6.1, Prince POG mid, or possibly a new Babolat racquet. Instead of going all poly, I'm going to use poly in the mains and then a softer/more "playable" string in the crosses.

I've thought about using natural gut, but others have mentioned just going with a high quality multi.

I would just like to hear what you think is the best (ie:soft and playable) string on the market today.

Thanks.

Benjamin

Gaines Hillix
03-03-2004, 09:12 AM
The Laserfibre Phenom XRC and Super Natural Pro Stock get many kudos on here in the synthetic category. Of course, the Cadillac of all strings still seems to be Babolat VS natural gut.

Rabbit
03-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Once again, in a hybrid the quality of cross really doesn't play that much a part in the overall feel of the string job. Any good, softer multifilament will soften the string job significantly. You could also just get a pack of PSG Original 17 and use it with the same effect.

Benjamin
03-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Gaines,

Are the Babolat VS Natural Team Gut 17 and the Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch the same string, just different thicknesses (the prices are the same but names are different)?

Should the thickness my cross strings match the thickness of my poly (17g) in the mains or does it make a difference?

Rabbit,

I have plenty (probably 5 sets) of the Prince Original Synthetic Gut 17g w/duraflex at home - bought this before I knew it would only last me 5 or 6 sets. Maybe I should try it in there before I order some "better" string.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Benjamin

predrag
03-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Nothing compares with Natural Gut.

You can go with the hybrid, and put N.G. in Mains, and that will reduce the cost dramatically.
This hybrid will be better than any high end synthetic.

If you are frequent string breaker that the cost of the N.G. will be an issue.

I used to play with Yonex ProRd70, which was the ultimate string breaker. I was breaking string after 9 hours on the court. I was using cheap Synthetic Gut, since anything else was just too expensive.
Since I switched to Head TiClassic, my string jobs last well over 15 hours.
I switched to BB hybrid and that is just amazing combination.

Regards, Predrag

Jay Welvaert
03-03-2004, 06:54 PM
a great setup for the PD is synthetic mains or poly mains and Sensation Supreme or regular Sensation in the crosses. Great spin potential, feel, power, and also great control. Also when you string with sensation supreme in the crosses it makes the string bed feel tighter. I string my pure drive + with synthetic mains and sensation crosses at 63 lbs.

Gaines Hillix
03-04-2004, 04:29 AM
Ben, I believe Bab VS Team 17g and Thermogut 16g are the same string except for the gauge.

Rocky Top
03-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Benjamin-

Might give the Pacific gut a try as well. I have not used it myself, but have strung for several guys that think it is every bit as good as Babolat's at a better price. Bow Brand isn't a bad option either (especially for the price).