PDA

View Full Version : Tennis shops in NY

jamumafa
06-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Not sure where this should go - So I picked here - and the Tennis and Travel section.

My GF is going to New York soon - and being from the UK, I don't know all the pro shops and decent tennis shops etc. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a shop that would more than likely sell the all white Breathe Free II's. Or the breathe Free II's in general.

Please e-mail me with some websites.

hijidiji@hotmail.co.uk

thanks

ravemaster806
06-05-2006, 07:54 AM
u could try the pro shop in the flushing meadows park or p a r a g o n sports in manhattan, most tennis shop are in manhattan so if u ask around there, u will find a lots of stores

iscottius
06-05-2006, 08:38 AM
There is mason's tennis in NYC, Grand central racquet,citysports & ******* sports

katastrof
06-05-2006, 10:15 AM
p a ra gon !!! is the way to go. For starters, they have a great racquet collection. I'm not sure about the exact address, but go to Union Square (14th & Broadway) and walk towards north on Broadway, you'll see it on your left instantly.

Mason (53rd, btw. Park & Madison) is a bit overpriced on everything except racquets. If you walk East a couple of blocks on 53rd, starting from Mason, you'll see "City Sports". Nice place.

Grand Central has a small shop on 44th (Madison & Vanderbilt), haven't been to the one in Grand Central station.

Enjoy NYC!

Dedans Penthouse
06-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Check out Niketown at:
6 E. 57th St.

If she's venturing outside NYC:
in the suburbs north of NYC, Pedigree Ski & Tennis located in White Plains and in Bedford Hills (also Stamford, CT) has a very large and varied collection of tennis gear/apparel.

Colpo
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
p a ra gon !!! is the way to go. For starters, they have a great racquet collection. I'm not sure about the exact address, but go to Union Square (14th & Broadway) and walk towards north on Broadway, you'll see it on your left instantly.

Mason (53rd, btw. Park & Madison) is a bit overpriced on everything except racquets. If you walk East a couple of blocks on 53rd, starting from Mason, you'll see "City Sports". Nice place.

Grand Central has a small shop on 44th (Madison & Vanderbilt), haven't been to the one in Grand Central station.

Enjoy NYC!

Mason's (@ East 53rd St off Park Ave.) is a very nice shop, always has been. But the emperor's got no clothes when it comes to some of my experiences at that place. I've had a stringjob there where an obvious cross string was missed. Another time, years later, I had a pair of racquets strung there at the same time that were severly undertensioned, and played like garbage as a result. Finally, back when they carried only "serious" tennis shoe brands like New Balance and K-Swiss, I didn't know this and called looking for a particular Nike style. NO JOKE, the clerk there told me to try K-Mart or Sears and hung up on me. Welcome to NY! Particularly in the internet age, I have no reason to shop there, though the location's convenient and they do occasionally have some unique stuff. Their sales are good, too.

P a r a g o n's (Broadway @ East 18th St.) got a good selection of high end tennis shoes, but the service can be lacking, the waits for shoes from stock can be long, and it's not a tennis shop per se so don't look for advice. Yes, they have a ton of racquets and support gear (grips, clothes, etc.). If I had to recommend a place, this would be it. It's very New York.

Check out RPNY while you're here, @ East 52nd and 2nd Ave. Small, 2nd floor shop, very high-end and well-edited. They do alot of work for pros there.

katastrof
06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Mason's (@ East 53rd St off Park Ave.) is a very nice shop, always has been. But the emperor's got no clothes when it comes to some of my experiences at that place. I've had a stringjob there where an obvious cross string was missed. Another time, years later, I had a pair of racquets strung there at the same time that were severly undertensioned, and played like garbage as a result. Finally, back when they carried only "serious" tennis shoe brands like New Balance and K-Swiss, I didn't know this and called looking for a particular Nike style. NO JOKE, the clerk there told me to try K-Mart or Sears and hung up on me. Welcome to NY! Particularly in the internet age, I have no reason to shop there, though the location's convenient and they do occasionally have some unique stuff. Their sales are good, too.

Yep, if you go to Mason's beware of their rudeness. I went there a couple of times, and stopped visiting for that reason.

Colpo
06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Yep, if you go to Mason's beware of their rudeness. I went there a couple of times, and stopped visiting for that reason.

Full disclosure, I will say that to Mason's credit about 5 years ago they were one of the first local shops to carry the Babolat racquet line. I called them and on my phone representation that I needed to buy and have a pair strung, they followed through without taking my credit card info. I remember offering the # to them, but the clerk said it wouldn't be necessary and took me at my word. When I got there about an hour later, he was finishing up stringing the second racquet of the pair. Problem is, THAT PAIR was the horribly undertensioned pair I referred to above. The next day, I left for a vacation with my new Pure Drives and could not keep a ball in-court for the next five days. You know how you'll get a bad haircut sometimes, and go back to a barber you trust to get the bad haircut fixed? Well, it was Roman Prokes who guessed by feel with his thumbs that the Pure Drives were tensioned somewhere around say 40 lbs!! What a joke!! One set had broken already, and I didn't have the time or energy to go raise a beef with Mason's, so they got me good on that one.

Colpo
06-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh, by the way, the Nike conversation with Mason's when I was basically told to take a hike and hung up on was only about 6-7 years ago. I was looking for either Oscillates or Zoom Beyonds, both flagship shoes. The joke is that if you walk into Mason's today, it's wall to wall Nike and Adidas grips! Now I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

schaef
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Mason's is not a plesant shopping experience, combining equal doses of rudeness and lack of knowledge.
I would suggest you direct her to Niketown, Citysports or P*r*gon.
Niketown is a "cool" shopping experience, especially if she is doing you a favor by tracking down shoes for you.
CitySports has a good selection of running shoes but is limited in its tennis shoe selection.

heycal
06-09-2006, 01:28 PM
In the suburbs, "Tennis Outlet" on Central Park Avenue in Hartsdale, Westchester County, is pretty good. Nice and goofy owner too.

rasajadad
06-12-2006, 04:49 AM
For racquets, go to Grand Central. For everything else, I don't know.

blubber
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
golf smith just opened up a shop today that also sells tennis equipment. John Daly was there for the grand opening. Also there's a princeton ski shop in nyc that sells tennis stuff. check their websites for the exact locations. I haven't been to either of them yet but i know they both have a good variety of high end goods.

mctennis
06-17-2006, 08:20 AM
I use Romans in NYC for my racquets. This use to be Jay's tennis shop. I like the work he does and he is very fast and accurate. Visit is showroom there in NYC.

Colpo
06-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I use Romans in NYC for my racquets. This use to be Jay's tennis shop. I like the work he does and he is very fast and accurate. Visit is showroom there in NYC.

Speaking of RPNY, there was a recent auction by a Puerto Rican seller who was selling 3 Yonex MP-5's that he said he had had customized at RPNY, and his pics seemed to bear it out. One of his pics was the RPNY customizing receipt. Again, he didn't BUY the Yonexes from Roman - he just sent them there to be lengthened by .5 inch each and have new grips put on. What would you guess this cost? How about $175 per racquet (!) with the grips extra (!). In fact, the receipt suggests that the flat rate for customization is $175/per. I'd love to have Roman do something for me beyond string the occasional racquet, but that's really expensive.

Puffdaddy
06-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Speaking of RPNY, there was a recent auction by a Puerto Rican seller who was selling 3 Yonex MP-5's that he said he had had customized at RPNY, and his pics seemed to bear it out. One of his pics was the RPNY customizing receipt. Again, he didn't BUY the Yonexes from Roman - he just sent them there to be lengthened by .5 inch each and have new grips put on. What would you guess this cost? How about $175 per racquet (!) with the grips extra (!). In fact, the receipt suggests that the flat rate for customization is $175/per. I'd love to have Roman do something for me beyond string the occasional racquet, but that's really expensive.

I think it depends on the job. I've had rackets balanced and lead-taped by them for significantly less than that. I think extending the length is a more involved process. Still, that $175 seems EXTREMELY high.

They do outstanding work and I am scared to get my rackets strung anywhere else.

I especially think players that prefer "old school" equipment and feel will get alot out of RPNY's services.

rasajadad
06-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Check out Niketown at:
6 E. 57th St.

If she's venturing outside NYC:
in the suburbs north of NYC, Pedigree Ski & Tennis located in White Plains and in Bedford Hills (also Stamford, CT) has a very large and varied collection of tennis gear/apparel.
Is Nike Town still there?

Nadal_Rulz
06-25-2006, 06:40 AM
check out the tennis professionals in portchester(i think?) it is located inside of the sound shore tennis building, great people and great selection. pedigree is terrible.

Nadal_Rulz
06-25-2006, 06:41 AM
check out the tennis professionals in portchester(i think?) it is located inside of the sound shore tennis building, great people and great selection. pedigree is terrible.