PDA

View Full Version : Federer TOO Tired in the Finals

TXKiteboarder
06-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Look at the Draw now, Fedex has to play two quality players to reach the final vs. Nadal seems to have a little easier road.

FedEx probably fresh as he probably wants to be, and this is a clear advantage for nadal.

tpduke112
06-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

BabolatFan
06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Look at the Draw now, Fedex has to play two quality players to reach the final vs. Nadal seems to have a little easier road.

FedEx probably fresh as he probably wants to be, and this is a clear advantage for nadal.
Federer's much stronger at this year's RG and he will beat Nadal is 4 sets. Maybe in 3 set tie-breakers. Nadal's forehand's been somewhat vulnerable against deep heavy balls...

ACE of Hearts
06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Djokovic is a young gun with alot of potential.I expect him to give it his best versus Nadal.He could be very dangerous, he gave Roger some fits.

grizzly4life
06-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Djokovic is a young gun with alot of potential.I expect him to give it his best versus Nadal.He could be very dangerous, he gave Roger some fits.

i too think djokovic will give nadal some trouble. at least 4 setter, maybe 5..... even though i was rooting for monfils, he wasn't going to give nadal much trouble.

doesn't seem like federer runs around that much anyway

8PAQ
06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
In Rome Fed played back to back very long quarter semi and final matches and he was just fine. I would worry more about Nadal if were you. After all he is no longer "only 19". The dude is getting old and it shows. He can't even win matches in straight sets anymore.

Ripper
06-05-2006, 12:06 PM
After all he is no longer "only 19". The dude is getting old and it shows.

Oh, come on. The guy turns 20 and, now, he's old?!

bluescreen
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
yeah really, that seems kinda exaggerated.

8PAQ
06-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh, come on. The guy turns 20 and, now, he's old?!

I am joking of course. I am just loving it how people can't call him a teenager anymore :)

And Djokovic is almost exactly 1 year younger.

tangerine
06-05-2006, 12:51 PM
It depends. Nadal is starting to look tired to me, having had to deal with Mathieu and Hewitt, not to mention a very hostile crowd, whereas Federer has barely been challenged at all.

Tennis_Goodness
06-05-2006, 12:54 PM
He's the number 1 player in the world, he knows what he's doing. How old are you some of these posters???

Count Grishnackh
06-05-2006, 12:59 PM
You know the term, better to be battle tested and ready than to coast. Hmm, convincing?

arosen
06-05-2006, 01:41 PM
If Nalby and Dadidenko get locked in a 5 hour 5 set battle ( a good chance of that) then Fed would have it easy, Ancic keeps points short anyway. If Nalby blows Davidenko off the court, than it's going to be an uphill battle for Fed for sure.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Federer is a clear favorite vs Nalbandian on clay, he played on his worst matches in the Roma semis and still won. Federer is an even more overwhelming favorite vs Ancic, Ancic should be a breeze for him on clay.

The tennis guy
06-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Why is Federer going to be tired? He just needs to play 3 matches in one week. It's not like he is going to play everyday or every other day.

fastdunn
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Federer is a clear favorite vs Nalbandian on clay, he played on his worst matches in the Roma semis and still won. Federer is an even more overwhelming favorite vs Ancic, Ancic should be a breeze for him on clay.

I agree that Federer is better clay courter than Nalbandian
but I don't think Ancic would be that easy for Federer.
Federer has more problem with Ancic's serves than Roddick's
for some reasons and Ancic rallies surprisingly even with
Federer from baseline. Oh well, that was on hard courts, though.

By the way, Nadal does look tired to me.
He has that spent look on his face. Usually his face is
full of liveliness and energy. Maybe he is feeling his age. :)
not a teenager anymore... :)

Anyway, I agree Federer will be tired at Wimbledon this year.
He made phenomenal clay court campaign and he must be more
tired compared to previous years...

simi
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Assuming he continues his winning ways, Federer will have two days off between the semi-final Thursday and the final on Sunday. Nadal, assuming he also continues his winning ways, will only have one day off between his semi and the final.

federerforever
06-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Let's not forget that Nalbandian will take Federer to over 4 hours on clay in the semi. Nadal on the other hand will have an easy semi that should last at most 2 and a half hours. I would say both of them will be even in terms of energy when the final arrives. I think that we should remember that both Federer and Nadal spent time on the practice court after matches. In Nadal's case I would assume that he does not spent as much time in practice because his matches were longer and more exhausting than Federer's. But practice takes energy as well so believe me both Federer and Nadal will be burned out equally during the Final. And therefore both Nadal and Federer have no excuses not to win this title. It will all come down to who is more talented and mentally tougher.

The tennis guy
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM

Ancic just doesn't move well enough on clay to really trouble Federer, similar to Berdych.

Nadal looks like mentally tired to me, the pressure, the streak, and Federer on his tail, and all. He should destroy Hewitt on clay if he plays near his best.

Federer hasn't played much more on clay this year than last, just a couple more matches. I don't think it is going to affect him that much at Wimbledon. He can skip Halle if he is really tired. It would be a lot more pressure if he wins French though. The Grand Slam.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-05-2006, 02:37 PM

Federer may be tired but he is a lock for the Wimbledon title. There isnt a single player with a hope of stopping him there this year.

As for Ancic he doesnt impress me that much. He doesnt move that well, his agility is not that good, his serve is very big but not one of the best by any means, his backhand is quite good, but his forehand breaks down, and his second serve is iffy. I did not see their last match, but the ESPN crew seemed to put the close match down to Fed struggling in that match. From what I have seen of Ancic on clay he wont be much of a problem I expect.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
He won't be tired, he hasn't dropped a set yet and I don't think he will in his next two challenges.

ACE of Hearts
06-05-2006, 03:17 PM
These are tennis players, Fed tired for Wimbly?Nope!These guys play alot of tennis.I am sure after wimbledon he will take a break.

Marius_Hancu
06-05-2006, 03:26 PM

Right.

Moose Malloy
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Federer may be tired but he is a lock for the Wimbledon title. There isnt a single player with a hope of stopping him there this year.

Isn't that what they said about Sampras in '96(when he was going for 4-peat)?
And he lost to an unseeded player.

I don't see Fed losing at W either, but stranger things have happened.

dubsplayer
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
He won't be tired, he hasn't dropped a set yet and I don't think he will in his next two challenges.

He did drop a set, to Massu. But doesn't matter. He's looking very fresh and even if the match with Ancic goes 4 sets the points won't be long and grueling. Then he might be tested in the semi's if it's David. Don't think he'll have any trouble if it's Davy.

Rafa looking very tired, but so did Pete all the time and he still won.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Isn't that what they said about Sampras in '96(when he was going for 4-peat)?
And he lost to an unseeded player.

I don't see Fed losing at W either, but stranger things have happened.

Good point, that is true. I do recall though there were a couple players at the time like Krajicek and Stitch who were threats at Wimbledon on grass, who did have pretty decent head to heads with Sampras(I am not saying that in a comparision to Federer in anyway, just a point as to why Sampras losing at Wimbledon when he was a supposed "lock" could have happened). On the other hand the two players with pretty decent head to heads with Federer are Nadal and Nalbandian. There is a better chance of a cosmo hitting earth then Nadal beating Federer on grass this year, or being in the Wimbledon final this year for that matter, and Nalbandian is a notorious big match choker who built almost all of his very good head to head with Fed pre-2004.

Moose Malloy
06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Good point, that is true. I do recall though there were a couple players at the time like Krajicek and Stitch who were threats at Wimbledon on grass, who did have pretty decent head to heads with Sampras

Krajicek had lost 1st round at W the previous 2 years. He was ranked in the top 16 in '96, but they bumped him out of the seedings because of his poor grasscourt results.

Fed could play Karlovic or Arthurs in the early rounds. Other than that there are no dangerous unseeded grasscourters these days.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-05-2006, 03:54 PM
I didnt know Arthurs was still around, I thought he had retired by now to be honest. Karlovic is a nightmare to play on grass, one bad serve game and you lose the set, and you know you probably have to play all tiebreaks since almost nobody can break his serve.

Chopin
06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
I'd say the opposite. Nadal has had a much tougher time in his matches thus far and plays a style of tennis that is more physical than Federer (though Nadal is in outstanding shape). Federer has won most of his matches quickly. Also, Federer didn't seem tired at all in the 5th set of Rome this year against Nadal.

@wright
06-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Re: Sampras, I would expect someone with anemia to look tired, but not a young buck like Nadal.

Alexandros
06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Sampras wasn't anemic, though he did have a blood disorder. Still, not the same thing.

HyperHorse
06-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Sampras wasn't anemic, though he did have a blood disorder. Still, not the same thing.

do your research. Sampras suffers from anemia minor...
its a genetic blood disorder with some greeks...
oh and i was going to make a shock prediction and say
Roger wont win wimbledon this year, and Nadal wont defend his french title..
people kinda forget how hard it is to defend a grand slam title,
compared to winning it 4yrs straight...

federerhoogenbandfan
06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
oh and i was going to make a shock prediction and say
Roger wont win wimbledon this year, and Nadal wont defend his french title..
people kinda forget how hard it is to defend a grand slam title,
compared to winning it 4yrs straight...

If they dont win it who will? I see them both as winners of those events almost a bit by process of elimination, you say to yourself, "well who else is there". Also when one player has a 50+ match win streak on clay stretched out over 1.5 years, and when the other player has a 30+ match win streak on grass stretched over 3 years, the perspective of how hard it is to do for those players kind of fades a bit.