PDA

View Full Version : Oversize me??

XsuubieX
07-05-2004, 06:33 PM
I just recently started taking tennis more seriously, though I have played recreationaly for a few years. Im looking in to buy a racket,

so far I have narrowed my search down to Head Liquidmetal Radical

i was wondering if I should go with oversized or not. I have no problem hitting the ball but i have a problem with hitting it in the rackets 'ideal' spot. Does anybody have an opnion on whether to get an oversized or Regular?

Today I tried someones oversized racket and it just felt wierd, I usually used a regular size, even though the oversize was around a quater of an inch larger than my old (now broken) racket it felt wierd, probably because im not used to it but still.

In conclusion i was wondering of anyone had an opinion about the Head Luqudmetal Radical and the possibility of me getting an oversized racket.... one more thing, does anybody know of a Wilson 'equivalent' of this racket. Thank you.

raven5288
07-05-2004, 07:01 PM
well, if you have no problem with the sweetspot, go for the midplus. You did say that the OS felt wierd anyways. I always find that smaller heads have better control.

As for a wilson equivalent, I have no idea. One of the prostaffs maybe?

XsuubieX
07-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Yea thanks, though the Racket I tried out today is about 3'' smaller than the one im interested in (Head Ti.Radical oversize). Im still in the process of deciding. One more question, is there much of a difference between wilson and head? quality for instance, etc etc

Brent Pederson
07-05-2004, 07:28 PM
If you have a problem with oversize rackets, whether real or mental, go for the mp. I've played both, and both are fine, but for me the oversize plays like a midplus, but with the benefit of an enormous sweetspot. I mean, it's really hard to mis-hit the ball with this thing, so you can really go for your shots with abandon. Also, it still has great control and maneuverability. So my vote goes for the over, but both are really excellent rackets.

raven5288
07-05-2004, 08:03 PM
not much difference between wilson and head methinks, except some people claim they have different grip shapes. Personally, I have no idea what they're talking about because I have a Wilson HH 5.3 and a LM prestige and they both have the same grip shape.

XsuubieX
07-05-2004, 08:11 PM
mmhm.. Thanks, would you know anything about either Wilson Hyper ProStaff Surge X OR Head Liquidmetal Radical?

kooyah
07-05-2004, 08:39 PM
mmhm.. Thanks, would you know anything about either Wilson Hyper ProStaff Surge X OR Head Liquidmetal Radical?

If the Surge X is the same as the Pure Drive Plus, then it'll be more powerful than a Liquidmetal Radical.

Brent Pederson
07-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Surge is a Pure Drive Clone, without the woofers, of course. Not a bad racket, much, much different from the radical. Much stiffer, more pop, less feel.

Steve H.
07-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Most oversize frames are stiff "game improvement" racquets, which may be what you were feeling with the one you tried. The Radical and the Prince Graphite are exceptions -- flexible, with nice feel and control. Some people feel that OS frames cause loss of speed in serving or precision on volleys, or awkwardness on one-handed backhands. But for nice feel and easy, forgiving power from the baseline for a serious intermediate they're great -- be advised that with a smaller head you will have a smaller sweetspot and be sacrificing some power, or else losing "feel" with a stiffer frame.

If you decide to go for an MP, any version of the Radical is well respected, tending toward the flexible and low-powered end. TW has a good deal on Volkl Catapult 10 at $89. Or for a compromise consider Yonex MP-2i, 102 sq in and not too stiff, for $99. Wilson sells mostly game-improvement sticks, head-heavy Hammers, and heavy player's racquets. They do have a few in the head-light player-tweener category, the Surge is one, and the ROK 102 has nice specs.

In the end you won't go too far wrong with any of the racquets people have been suggesting -- might be time to just get one and play!

K!ck5w3rvE
07-08-2004, 04:11 AM
'Oversize me'. How lame...

XsuubieX
07-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Dont you have anything better to do than insult other peoples topic titles?? Why dont you get a life or start givign constructive critisism. I hate morons like you.