PDA

View Full Version : Federer at Prime

Chosen One
06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
When has Federer played his absolute tennis? what tournament and against who?

stoffer
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
US Open 04 Final Vs Hewitt. 6-0,7-6,6-0. Cant get much better than that.

jamauss
06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
What are you talking about? Federer sucks.

lol j/k - I'd be hesitent to say I know when he's played his absolute best tennis. Maybe one of the past grass court seasons in the past year or so? It's hard to say. What means it's his best tennis? His scores against opponents? unforced error count?

Alexandros
06-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Wimbledon 2005 final against Roddick. As I recall he only made one unforced error in the first set and an abnormally low amount overall. And he wasn't playing cautiously at all - he ripping winners from all parts of the court, as Roddick put it: he (Roddick) was being passed by Federer when he came forward and being passed when staying back.

Rhino
06-05-2006, 05:28 PM
People will speak of the finals.
Some of the tennis during his final in last years Wimby against Roddick was incredible.
But also there have been some brilliant obscure matches where he blew people off the court that nobody will remember. For example against Florian Mayer at this years Oz Open, his tennis was flawless.

AAAA
06-05-2006, 05:41 PM
If Federer wins the French Open and thus hold all 4 majors, a monumental achievement, we may well see Federer play with even more confidence and relaxation. He can still improve, he has the talent.

Alexandros
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Finals and later rounds are spoken of more highly because the opponents are better and there's a greater chance of Federer being pushed and tested.

metsjets
06-05-2006, 06:25 PM
when he played roddick in the final. roddick was like i threw the kitchen sink but he tore out the bathtub. he made like 7 errors in 2 sets.

LowProfile
06-05-2006, 07:07 PM
The double bagel against Gaudio in the semis of last year's Masters Cup was pretty impeccable. And of course that thrasing of Hewitt at the 2004 US Open.

pswami
06-05-2006, 07:21 PM
How do you know we've seen his absolute best already? If he wins the French, and goes on to finish a calendar Slam (and if he does win the French, the chances of a GS are very likely I think) we could still see the best tennis of his life ahead of us.

Chosen One
06-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I think Federer played his best 1st round 2005 against Santoro. He hit amazing winners from anywhere on the court and he made Fabrice look like an idiot. Plus, he demolished Agasi in the later rounds. That was when Federer first started owning Agassi. I do not think he played great against Andy Roddick it was just his mental game that pulled him out because Roddick was trailing in the match and the errors you guys are saying is complete bull. 5 Wimby he already knew Roddick's game and took him down with strategy. Federer really knows how to expose weaknesses.

arosen
06-05-2006, 09:48 PM
How do you know we've seen his absolute best already? If he wins the French, and goes on to finish a calendar Slam (and if he does win the French, the chances of a GS are very likely I think) we could still see the best tennis of his life ahead of us.

These are exciting times for tennis. Fed can improve his netgame, his volleys and transition to net, that would do marvels for him against someone like Rafa. Rafa is going to improve his serve, that would put tons of pressure on opponents like Fed and Nalby. Good stuff.

zhuk
06-06-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm a bit confused as to why you quoted me in your post....any particular reason?

"Federer sucks!?!?"

I believe we agree on that.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pswami
06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
"Federer sucks!?!?"

I believe we agree on that.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I believe jamauss was kidding.

I don't know what to believe with you.

prostaff18
06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
I think that we are yet to see Fed at his best. I think that no one in the game (except Nadal on clay) has pushed him at all. Roddick tried for a while and failed, also against Hewitt he plays very well. But I think that if there was another good player that could match him on all surfaces then I think that he would be even better. Nadal can only beat him on clay. His best was against Roddick at Wimby though, that was good!

JustPlayIt
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Funny how all of you have written off Nadal when he just entered his 20s. Fed at age 25 has improved his clay game significantly, and someone else, like Nadal, can't improve on hard court and grass? Why? Is it that common explanation again: oh, because he's Federer...

In one of his interviews Nadal said his goal is to win Wimbledon in three years. I can already hear the laughs, but we'll see.

The tennis guy
06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Funny how all of you have written off Nadal when he just entered his 20s. Fed at age 25 has improved his clay game significantly, and someone else, like Nadal, can't improve on hard court and grass? Why? Is it that common explanation again: oh, because he's Federer...

In one of his interviews Nadal said his goal is to win Wimbledon in three years. I can already hear the laughs, but we'll see.

Federer is only 24 now, not yet 25.

Of course Nadal can improve on hardcourt and grass, and he will. The question is by how much. Federer had always been pretty good on clay. Nadal was never that good on grass. So even if he improves, can he pass Federer on grass? The consencious is no because the gap is huge.

So Federer wins French is not a huge shock while Nadal wins at Wimbledon is because of where their games were on each surface.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-06-2006, 09:12 PM

You are right I do laugh at that.

The Pusher Terminator
06-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Fed played his best tennis this year at monte carlo....and still lost.

Duzza
06-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Just though. 5 hour match plus it was Nadal - the king of clay

MaxT
06-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Wimbledon Semi against Roddick, on route to his first major.

McEnroe was the commentator, he was basically dancing with joy, and conceded that was the best tennis he ever saw on center court.

The sound bits from him and his partner are still vivid with me, they are like this:

Oh, oh, no, ... Oh no. Ho, ho, .... Oh, ...., no!

OrangeOne
06-07-2006, 06:51 AM

I hate that explanation... for anyone. I hate it equally for Nadal "going to win every match on clay", just because he has a huge streak. Almost every streak in sport finishes *at some stage*, primarily due to sheer probability (and because, on a longer timeframe, so few sportspeople can retire *at the top*).

I think it'd be stupid to say that Nadal can't improve on Hard Court & Grass, I'm sure he will!....but, personally speaking, i don't think his style is adaptable *enough* to win at Wimbledon. Just my thoughts, but at least they come with a reason. Fed's game, again, in my opinion, is a more adaptable game to start with.

Rickson
06-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Federer in 04.

Tennis_Goodness
06-07-2006, 12:46 PM

Nadal is not Federer and does not have the shots he has. Federer was ALWAYS an all court all surface player. He didn't have to get good on one surface, he had all the shots and had a more varied game then Nadal has even at 19. It was just his consitancy and mental game that was lacking.

Saying Nadal will improve like Federer did is ridiculous because Nadal's game is not anything like Federers and I don't think he will ever reach Federer's level!

kicker75
06-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Federer - US Open final 2004 vs. Hewitt. (well, at least the first set)

He was unreal in that first set. I saw the match live and the first set lasted something like 18 minutes, and I can't remember the number of how many points Hewitt won in the entire first set, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the single digits. Hewitt was pushed consistently into the deep backcourt, and was defensive the whole time. ...and remember, Hewitt was one of the hottest (if not the hottest) hard court player going into the US Open - won the USTA US Open Series that year leading up to the US Open, so it wasn't like Federer was playing a lucky finalist.

I also remember at some point in that match, Federer was serving and down 15-40. He then served 3 consecutive aces to win that game.

ACE of Hearts
06-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Fed's performance, 2005 wimbledon final against Roddick.

d_frank
06-07-2006, 05:56 PM
The only thing that sucks worse then Fed is his fan club. Has anyone seen his garrish underpowered pathetically designed "official" website? A total joke, especially when compared to Rafa's. It is more like a worship altar to their "Master" than anything else. That, and a constant "I hate Nadal" festival.
And now his psycho "fans" have the insane audacity to blame Nadal for "gamesmanship" for his delay of play against Hewitt today - to allow the bleeding ballboy get medical attention! What sick f*****s! Makes you wanna root for anyone but Fed.
:mad:
hahahahaha. Websites mean alot in the world of tennis, my lad.

[/sarcasm]

alexmath2
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Fed-Safin in the AO semis was pretty darn good to state the obvious.

Matthew
06-07-2006, 10:50 PM
You know what is scary? I don't think we've seen his prime yet...

OrangeOne
06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
hahahahaha. Websites mean alot in the world of tennis, my lad.

[/sarcasm]

Lol. I hope you don't have [/sarcasm] copyrighted because with your permission I think I may borrow it on the odd occasion! ;)

Viper
06-07-2006, 11:34 PM
I dunno, some of his best matches he's played he's lost.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-07-2006, 11:53 PM
I dunno, some of his best matches he's played he's lost.

I agree he has played some very good matches and lost, but some of his best ever matches and still lost? I cant think of any that come to mind there.

d_frank
06-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Lol. I hope you don't have [/sarcasm] copyrighted because with your permission I think I may borrow it on the odd occasion! ;)
:D As a matter of fact, I got it off a different forum, so be my guest :p

mileslong
06-08-2006, 06:50 PM
[quote[Fed played his best tennis this year at monte carlo....and still lost.[/quote]
hardly, the king of all fed bashers has arisen again...go troll somewhere else

Skppr05
06-08-2006, 07:05 PM
If Federer wins the French Open and thus hold all 4 majors, a monumental achievement, we may well see Federer play with even more confidence and relaxation. He can still improve, he has the talent.
Absolutly. There really doesn't seem to be a roof for Federer who can really say that he is playing his best tennis right now? If all goes well we may even see a bigger better Federer in the future

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I wish Roger could win the French Open this year. Maybe by next year he will improve enough on clay to have a real chance at it. I am hoping so. Of course that depends how much Nadal improves as well though.

ACE of Hearts
06-08-2006, 09:59 PM
He needs to take care of bussiness against Nalbandian.It will be interesting too see what he comes up with in the final if he gets there.First Nalbandian.

Rhino
07-03-2006, 10:17 AM
When has Federer played his absolute tennis? what tournament and against who?
Wimbledon 2006, 4th round against Tomas Berdych, 6-3 6-3 6-4 in one hour 23 minutes.