PDA

View Full Version : Sania Mirza

Chosen One
06-05-2006, 04:50 PM
I am just tired of this girl because she is getting all the media attention just for being an Female indian muslim. She loves the media but she aint got no results. Know wat um sayin?

Viper
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
I know what you're laying down soul brother now give me some skin.

tennissavy
06-05-2006, 05:46 PM
She is so overrated. She is a very inconsistent player and needs to work on every aspect of her game in order to rise any higher in the rankings.

HyperHorse
06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
she does have breasts.
something the other WTA girls kinda lack...
send her to BOLLYWOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Ammo
06-05-2006, 06:05 PM
She reminds me of Donald Young

vkartikv
06-05-2006, 06:40 PM
It's not like she is screaming out to the media, " Come take pictures of me. Oh ya, I am a muslim shorts-wearing tennis player!!" If that's what the media does to her, its not her fault - much like the paparazzi here.

Second, she is the only female from India to have gotten as far as she has in a GS. It obviously attracts attention. May be she has reached a plateau now, may be this is the best she can do but what's your problem mate? Seems like you're jealous about her getting all the attention while you are yet to be the chosen one :)

goober
06-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Well she doesn't get much attention in the US. I doubt that anybody outside of Tennis fans and Indians know who she is over here.

Chosen One
06-05-2006, 07:09 PM
It's not like she is screaming out to the media, " Come take pictures of me. Oh ya, I am a muslim shorts-wearing tennis player!!" If that's what the media does to her, its not her fault - much like the paparazzi here.

Second, she is the only female from India to have gotten as far as she has in a GS. It obviously attracts attention. May be she has reached a plateau now, may be this is the best she can do but what's your problem mate? Seems like you're jealous about her getting all the attention while you are yet to be the chosen one :)

I am just tired of that Lotto commercial and she was just blabbing her mouth during the US OPEN, BUT HEY ;) lOVE FOR India

Nice representing, V but come on you know it

Chosen One
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
She is so overrated. She is a very inconsistent player and needs to work on every aspect of her game in order to rise any higher in the rankings.

Streaky player

Tennis_Monk
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Outside of her looks in certain areas , she has nothing to offer for her fans. She never had a great game. Media always try to make something out of nothing. They made her a celebrity and she made millions. Now she hardly cares coz she can retire happily.

There are better talented players and eventually they will get their share of limelight.

BabolatFan
06-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah she does have a nice rack though. Does she have an attitude? Looks like she thinks she's the s@#$.

arosen
06-05-2006, 08:42 PM
That's the funny thing about tennis. You can have the best 'tude in the world, but unless you have a game to back it up with, you ain't goin' nowhere but to boonieswood.

vkartikv
06-05-2006, 09:03 PM
I am just tired of that Lotto commercial and she was just blabbing her mouth during the US OPEN, BUT HEY ;) lOVE FOR India

Nice representing, V but come on you know it

Ya, if you want to hate someone, just put them in a commercial b/w a tennis match!! After your post I did some searches on her. It seems she is dating a Pakistani tennis player. Mahboob Khan, is that you? ;)

goober
06-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Ya, if you want to hate someone, just put them in a commercial b/w a tennis match!! After your post I did some searches on her. It seems she is dating a Pakistani tennis player. Mahboob Khan, is that you? ;)

I thought Muslims don't date? Or is this not the case?

vkartikv
06-05-2006, 09:20 PM

I don't know where you get your information from but that's not true. Even in certain countries which strictly enforce segregation, dating occurs. Most of the subcontinent is certainly not that strict so it comes as no surprise.

goober
06-05-2006, 09:24 PM
I don't know where you get your information from but that's not true. Even in certain countries which strictly enforce segregation, dating occurs. Most of the subcontinent is certainly not that strict so it comes as no surprise.

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/news_service/spot_full_story.asp?service_id=761

vkartikv
06-05-2006, 09:29 PM
http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/news_service/spot_full_story.asp?service_id=761

Nothing against you mate but to learn about a culture or race, you need to live amongst them or learn from first-hand experience. People post just about whatever they want online but that does not mean all muslims are prohibited from dating. There are plenty of rules/lifestyle guidelines specified by each religion but how many of us follow them? Each is open to interpretation and given that they were written centuries ago, most of it does not even apply for today's life :) I don't intend to get into a religious debate here either :)

goober
06-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Nothing against you mate but to learn about a culture or race, you need to live amongst them or learn from first-hand experience. People post just about whatever they want online but that does not mean all muslims are prohibited from dating. There are plenty of rules/lifestyle guidelines specified by each religion but how many of us follow them? Each is open to interpretation and given that they were written centuries ago, most of it does not even apply for today's life :) I don't intend to get into a religious debate here either :)

Well obviously I don't know a whole lot of Muslims. The ones I did know didn't date and told me that dating wasn't allowed. So I just assumed that was the case for people who actively practice the religion. I just wanted to know if dating was or was not allowed by Islam that is all. Would you say that website is not accurate in representing the views of the majority of muslims and is on the fringe of their beliefs?

sureshs
06-06-2006, 08:21 AM
She is a top 40 player.

dmastous
06-06-2006, 08:24 AM
1 billion people in India
1 top 40 player.
Do the math.

sureshs
06-06-2006, 08:28 AM
1 billion people in India
1 top 40 player.
Do the math.

That is why her achievement is so awesome, rather than not awesome, which is what others are saying.

Number of people who play/afford to play tennis is much much smaller BTW. Actually in the noise compared to the population.

FlowerUK
06-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Well she doesn't get much attention in the US. I doubt that anybody outside of Tennis fans and Indians know who she is over here.

I have heard she is supposed to be huge in India but I was there earlier this year and did not see one advertising board; newspaper/magazine ad or TV commercial with her on it?

sureshs
06-06-2006, 10:05 AM
I have heard she is supposed to be huge in India but I was there earlier this year and did not see one advertising board; newspaper/magazine ad or TV commercial with her on it?

Here is a list of her sponsors:

GVK Industries
Sahara
Atlas Cycles
Tata Tea
Sports Authority of Andhra Pradesh
Malabar Gold
Lotto
Atlas Cycles
HPCL

But she has refused to do deals which portray her as "glamorous". She is behind only to 3 top cricket men in endorsement money.

vkartikv
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Here is a list of her sponsors:

GVK Industries
Sahara
Atlas Cycles
Tata Tea
Sports Authority of Andhra Pradesh
Malabar Gold
Lotto
Atlas Cycles
HPCL

But she has refused to do deals which portray her as "glamorous". She is behind only to 3 top cricket men in endorsement money.

Good God, that's like Anna K!! She probably makes more from sponsorships than she does from GS money.

sureshs
06-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Good God, that's like Anna K!! She probably makes more from sponsorships than she does from GS money.

She is managed by Globosport, Bhupathi's company.

jaykay
06-06-2006, 10:18 AM
vkv - I'd think everybody makes more money from sponsorships and less from GS events.

Also, Anna K is truly an international celebrity who has thoroughly 'taken advantage of' (I originally wanted to use the word 'exploited', but I thought perhaps that has negative connotations) her supermodel status in order to make big moolah.

Sania Mirza, on the other hand, has clearly only signed on sponsors who are local to the Indian subcontinent and enforces strict 'rules of engagement' in the way she is portrayed in the media... sounds more responsible to me.

For the others drowning in ignorance, tennis is still somewhat an elitist sport in India, unlike cricket. While India has had its share of tennis greats in Ramanathan Krishnan, Vijay Amritraj, Ramesh Krishnan, Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi over the past years; it is REALLY a big deal to have a girl from India in the top-50... thus, having an outspoken, yuppie, good-looking, Muslim girl making ripples (albeit not exactly waves) in the WTA circuit is a source of nationalist pride in India that now positions itself as a land of opportunity and diversity (cultural/religious).

sureshs
06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Sania Mirza, on the other hand, has clearly only signed on sponsors who are local to the Indian subcontinent and enforces strict 'rules of engagement' in the way she is portrayed in the media... sounds more responsible to me.

She has signed with Lotto, the Italian shoe company.

Also, not to get into a big argument, but she has no choice but to be responsible in how she is portrayed. So she could be making a virtue out of a necessity. If she could make ads with outfits like Sharapova and didn't, it would be a different matter. Given the situation, it is not possible.

jaykay
06-06-2006, 10:30 AM
She has signed with Lotto, the Italian shoe company.

Also, not to get into a big argument, but she has no choice but to be responsible in how she is portrayed. So she could be making a virtue out of a necessity. If she could make ads with outfits like Sharapova and didn't, it would be a different matter. Given the situation, it is not possible.

You are right, I don't disagree.

Yes, I'm aware that Lotto is an Italian shoe company... but you'll agree that Lotto is kinda the exception amongst all the other sponsors.

Cheers.

f1 tech
06-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Whether she is number 5 or 100 in the world, she's India's #1 player, I'm sure they are proud of that. Just like the U.S. baseball team, they suck, but we still root for them.

dmastous
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Make that 1.1 billion and growing... (just checked the world population stats :o )
Anna K was exploited, but unlike others who are exploited, at least she was able to enjoy some of the fruits of that exploitation.
And yes, most of the top 100 players make much more from endorsements than they do from the tour. That's one of the reason the tour has gotten so bland. No one is willing to say what's on their mind for fear of losing those lucrative endorsements, or getting slammed.
Whether you like it or not big time tennis is big business.
$----------------ch-ching!!!----------------------$

sureshs
06-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Make that 1.1 billion and growing... (just checked the world population stats :o )

It was 1 billion just a few posts ago - Kartik has been really productive .....

vkartikv
06-06-2006, 11:41 AM

You mean (re) productive ?? I have hand, thats all I have :(

sureshs
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
You mean (re) productive ?? I have hand, thats all I have :(

Good for volleys

BabolatFan
06-06-2006, 12:41 PM
I wanna see a catfight or a mudwrestle between Mirza and Sharapova. Hehe...

pswami
06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Mirza's HUGE in India from what some of my cousins (tennis players on Indian HS teams) tell me, not just to sponsors, but to the general public as well.

sandiegotennisboy
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
she sux.......next....

sandiegotennisboy
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
and her stupid commercial....if i have to see that again, i will kill a cow.

FedererUberAlles
06-06-2006, 03:24 PM
I wanna see a catfight or a mudwrestle between Mirza and Sharapova. Hehe...

I'm sure some Indian Muslims might be offended by that statement.

shawn1122
06-06-2006, 05:23 PM
she sux.......next....
and her stupid commercial....if i have to see that again, i will kill a cow.
Can we try to stay on topic?

Slazenger
06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
She is definitely overrated. Powder puff serve, most erratic forehand on tour. Her game is just as uninspiring as her results have been.
Plus she is really putting on the pounds.

There are more deserving girls on the WTA tour who could use a Lotto endorsement (who are better looking might I add).

RealityPolice
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
She's been a pro for all of eighteen months, and had no pro-level coaching until last July. She won the fourth WTA tournament she played, reached the 4th round of a Slam in only her fourth attempt, and has as many wins over Top Ten players as Vaidisova. Simply to dismiss her as a no-talent is ridiculous. Overhyped, yes. Talentless, no.

slice bh compliment
06-06-2006, 06:20 PM
...Yes, I'm aware that Lotto is an Italian shoe company... but you'll agree that Lotto is kinda the exception amongst all the other sponsors. ...

Yeah. Lotto is clearly on a major PR campaign for exposure. USProTennisAssociation, ATP and the WTA. Then they pick this photogenic rising (plateau-ing) star from one of the largest free nations in the world, where tennis has some traction (and tradition, too). Lotto=okay shoes...smart board of directors.
I wonder if Lotto shoes sell better now in India...Asia?
I do not think they are doing well in the States, but what do I know?

As for Mirza...cute girl. Heinous game. Love to see her succeed. But, uhm, tennistically speaking, she is not my cup of chai.

Tennis_Monk
06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Mirza's HUGE in India from what some of my cousins (tennis players on Indian HS teams) tell me, not just to sponsors, but to the general public as well.

No disrespect to anyone but High School tennis in india pales in comparison with High school tennis in USA. Tennis isnt as big as cricket in india.

Outside of her looks, few look upon her to be a role model. Certainly not going to learn volleys by watching her play.

vkartikv
06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
No disrespect to anyone but High School tennis in india pales in comparison with High school tennis in USA. Tennis isnt as big as cricket in india.

Outside of her looks, few look upon her to be a role model. Certainly not going to learn volleys by watching her play.

That's right. In fact, there is little to be learnt (atleast for a man) from watching the women's game. There is little class and hardly any net-finishers. And of course, HS in India are not equipped with playgrounds, let alone well maintained tennis courts.

tennisadict
06-06-2006, 10:38 PM
no they dont date, they just ML

Golden Retriever
06-07-2006, 06:50 AM

Sometimes more is less. Too many people is definately a minus.

pswami
06-07-2006, 07:53 AM

I should've made myself clearer. I didn't mean to say that she's amazing according to them, only that she's really really popular. Like the Sachin Tendulkar of tennis.

sureshs
06-07-2006, 08:06 AM

How many WTA players volley well?

Sania has a huge FH and anyone can learn from that. Why the emphasis on volleys out of nowhere?

And she is a HUGE role model. A smart bold young woman from India achieving so much is already having a huge impact on the next generation of girls, most of whom are discouraged from pursuing any physical activity.

And why would she be a role model based on her looks?

Lots of flaws in your reasoning.