PDA

View Full Version : The greatest clay court player of all time. . .

Arafel
06-05-2006, 07:09 PM
A lot has been made of Nadal breaking Vilas' streak with his 54th consecutive victory in the first round. Now he has 57 straight wins on clay. That's fairly impressive. But everyone is overlooking the greatest clay court player of all . . .

CHRIS EVERT.

Between August 1973 and May 1979, Evert won 125 CONSECUTIVE matches on clay. 125!!!!!! The streak was finally broken by Tracy Austin in the semis of the Italian Open, who beat Evert 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (5-4). Evert then went on another tear, not losing on clay till the 1981 French Open. In that 8-year span, her clay court record was an astounding 197-1.

There's a reason that Evert holds the record for most French Open titles. 197-1. Just reflect on that for a moment.

I like watching Nadal, not least because he seems the only person right now who has prevented the ATP tour from becoming the Roger Federer show, but let's see the topspin monkey match THAT streak.

125 straight wins, 197-1 over an 8-year period. THAT is what you call dominance.

HyperHorse
06-05-2006, 07:16 PM
when u watch tennis back then, and u watch it now...
70s tennis looks like slow motion.
125 matches? im surprised she didnt lose out of boredom.

Viper
06-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Womens tennis back then = one player carving the marks while the others watch

federerhoogenbandfan
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I hate to say it but I think Nadal might break Evert's streak. I am not saying he will neccessarily, but it is conceivable. If he wins the French and another clay court event later this year he will already be halfway. He is young and only getting better, and a few exceptional efforts to take him down on clay(
Federer at Roma for example)have come up short. If the player choked and gave it to him a bit at the end, it just shows the mental stranglehold he has over the others, even the top guys, on clay right now.

Arafel
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
when u watch tennis back then, and u watch it now...
70s tennis looks like slow motion.
125 matches? im surprised she didnt lose out of boredom.

Technology changes. It's not that the players have changed a lot. Watch some of the mid-80s matches from when Evert and Navratilova switched to graphite. And imagine them having grown up with such frames.

Further, everyone of that generation was on a level playing field. It's just that Evert was that much better than everyone else.

People like to talk on these boards about how Seles was the first power player the game saw; Evert beat Seles in two of their three matches, including a 6-0 6-2 rout in their last match, at the 1989 U.S. Open.

Don't think for a second that the players back then couldn't hit the hell out of the ball.

Eviscerator
06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Nadal breaking Vilas' streak

CHRIS EVERT.

Sorry, but the men's and women's game are completely different and cannot be compared.:rolleyes:

dh003i
06-05-2006, 09:01 PM
You can't compare women's records and men's records. As the men's game is faster, tougher, more physical than the women's game, a streak in the men's game is more impressive.

OrangeOne
06-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Sorry, but the men's and women's game are completely different and cannot be compared.:rolleyes:

But they're played on the same court, with the same equipment, with the same rules at the same times of the year. Not completely different if you ask me, in fact, not different at all.

Players use different styles, but they are playing the same game, and in fact there's more difference stylistically between the players within each sex than there is between the two sexes, in my humble opinion.

Steve Huff
06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
My opinion (men's)....1. Borg 2. Vilas 3. Nadal 4. Muster

bm99
06-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Unless you think Evert would beat Nadal, she can't be considered best ever.

travlerajm
06-05-2006, 10:40 PM
My opinion (men's)....1. Borg 2. Vilas 3. Nadal 4. Muster

Where does Lendl fit in?

superman1
06-06-2006, 03:23 AM
I saw Evert his a few balls in her charity exhibition.

Ehhhhhh....she was like an old lady picking up a tennis racquet for the very first time. No pace and she yelled out every time she hit one of those wimpy balls. Maybe she was just holding back. Maybe she was rusty. But I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be able to beat Nadal on a claycourt, let alone Bjorn Borg. Let's separate the men and the women in terms of records.

dh003i
06-06-2006, 07:12 AM
I don't think any of the great women's tennis players coulld beat any of the great men's tennis player.

Oh boy, here come the "you're sexist!" comments from the PC-types. Because, after all, there's really no difference between women and men, right?

crosscourt
06-06-2006, 07:26 AM
"I don't think any of the great women's tennis players coulld beat any of the great men's tennis player."

I remember Evert being asked about this. I think her brother or some other relative was a college player or something like that. She said that he could beat her easily ("6-1" was the way she put it). I recall she didn't think that it was very fair.

Andres
06-06-2006, 09:20 AM
I saw Evert his a few balls in her charity exhibition.

Ehhhhhh....she was like an old lady picking up a tennis racquet for the very first time. No pace and she yelled out every time she hit one of those wimpy balls. Maybe she was just holding back. Maybe she was rusty. But I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be able to beat Nadal on a claycourt, let alone Bjorn Borg. Let's separate the men and the women in terms of records.
Are you "pretty sure she wouldn't be able to beat Nadal or Borg" ??
I'm certainly sure that she wouldn't be able to take TWO games from them, let alone beat them ;)

Arafel
06-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I think some of you are missing the point. Yes, men and women are different, and yes, men are physically stronger and better athletes.

It's not the competition between men and women that I refer to. The point is that Evert competed against players built like her, with similar strokes, strengths and weaknesses. Just as currently Nadal competes against players physically similar to him.

Those are the parameters. And given that, Evert won 125 straight matches on clay, and went 197-1 over eight years. And it's not as though she completely dominated the tour (except maybe 75-77). After all, Navratilova beat her in the 78 and 79 Wimbledon finals, Austin defeated her in the 79 U.S. Open, Goolagong beat her in the 80 Wimbledon and Navrratilova beat her at the 81 U.S.

Yeah, if Nadal were to play Evert he'd beat her. I have no doubt that the players in the men's qualifying rounds would have beaten all the women had they played them.

It's what you do at YOUR level of competition that matters. If that weren't true, you wouldn't have an NTRP rating system.

Evert dominated on clay at her level of competition. No one could touch her.

HollerOne5
06-06-2006, 10:37 AM
LOL, Chris Evert would have a hard time getting a point in a set versus Nadal or any male player for that matter. I actually think it would be a "golden set."

Rabbit
06-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I hate to say it but I think Nadal might break Evert's streak. I am not saying he will neccessarily, but it is conceivable. If he wins the French and another clay court event later this year he will already be halfway. He is young and only getting better, and a few exceptional efforts to take him down on clay(
Federer at Roma for example)have come up short. If the player choked and gave it to him a bit at the end, it just shows the mental stranglehold he has over the others, even the top guys, on clay right now.

This is ludicrous. There is no conceviable way he could break Evert's streak. The odds are he won't win 3 straight at RG.