PDA

View Full Version : Prize Money!

Sunshine
06-05-2006, 11:35 PM
......well...lets here the take of this Forum...about the "prizemony controvercy"......
.....personally..I think womenshould get equal prizemoney...only if they play best if 5 sets matches...like themen!.....
.....what's your take?....

OrangeOne
06-05-2006, 11:40 PM
sunshine - if you do a search you'll find a few threads that have been active over the last few days on this very issue, from memory.

Sunshine
06-05-2006, 11:42 PM
sunshine - if you do a search you'll find a few threads that have been active over the last few days on this very issue, from memory.
...thaks yaar....
.....did'nt know...!

La Bomba
06-06-2006, 12:56 AM
Um, women are no where near as good as men at tennis. Women hit the ball so soft whereas men hit it about 10 times harder.

superman1
06-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Men don't even hit it twice as hard, and I don't see why that would make any difference. Most people actually prefer watching a slower pace.

However, I don't see what the big deal is with men getting paid a tiny bit more. They're all millionaires, does a few extra thousand bucks for playing twice as much tennis make that much of a difference? But women will cry "sexist" about anything these days.

chess9
06-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Women should get more money than the men. These Wimby men are so not paying attention to their wives....

Have you been watching the Vaidosova/Williams match? The Battle of the Earrings! If I had to lug all that jewelry around the court I might make 3 or 4 games, max. And, what about the make-up and hairstylist costs? You think Cherie Blair has expenses? HA! Venus needs 6 hours just to get her braids looking perfect. What about bras? Double HA!! You guys have no clue. Bras alone are a PhD subject. More engineering there than in an nCode 90. Then there's picking the dresses. Sheezh...I could go on but I'm worn out just thinking about it all. They couldn't pay me enough to go through all that, and just think how hot I'd look! :)

-Robert

spaceman_spiff
06-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Why does everyone talk about the amount of work the athletes do in these arguments? No one ever mentions the fact that earnings in professional sports are really only determined by the number of fans and the amounts they are willing to pay to watch the competitions. It's all about what people are willing to pay. If more people are willing to pay more money to watch the women, then they should receive more, even if they only played one-set matches. If the men draw more spectators, then they should receive more. Pay is never determined by the difficulty of the work. If it was, baseball players would barely receive anything (except the pitchers of course).

If the women draw an equal number of, or even more, spectators and the competitions continue to pay them less, you could see some problems, possibly even boycots. If you don't pay the star what he or she feels is deserved, he or she might just go somewhere else. After all, if the same number of spectators pay the same amount of money to watch the different matches, how fair would it be to pay different amounts?

A quote from my dad given to me in a talk about my education: The harder you have to work (physically), the less you'll get paid. If that is true in the rest of the world, then why would you argue differently when it comes to sports?