PDA

View Full Version : Ashaway Dynamite 17

Craig Sheppard
07-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Finally strung up some Ashaway Dynamite 17 and have used it for a few matches now. My one sentence summary of Ashaway Dynamite 17: "Wow! Why did I wait so long to try this?!"

Ok, this is just a love fest post, so move on if you don't care. I usually use soft multifilaments, or gut if I'm feelin' rich. Dynamite 17 is just about as close to the feel of gut that I can think of. It's got that unharsh feeling that gut has. Hard to describe, but there's very little shock with this string--it doesn't feel like other multifilament strings. It also feels like it pockets better than other synthetic strings. I've found it as good or better than other multifilaments in almost every way. I've used it for about 4 sets now, and have to say it's held its tension extremely well. Syn gut usually snaps on me after 4 or 5 sets.

So I use a Fischer Pro Extreme FT, usually string at 58 lbs with Alpha Gut 2000, but I have tried almost every other multi too. Like LiveWire XP is pretty good, but not worth the price. Dunlop Max Comfort 17 is very good too, really soft. I have to say though, I really prefer the Dynamite 17.

I strung the Dynamite at 50 lbs, adhering to the mfg's 10-20% lower formula. They're right about the tension. At 50 lbs, it doesn't feel like you'd think 50 lbs feels, it feels the same as my 58 lb Alpha Gut job after it's broken in a bit. I've heard the Zyex can be harsh at higher tensions. I strung it low, and it worked brilliantly. Don't overlook it if you want a soft string with a unique feel.

Craig

bsandy
07-06-2004, 05:44 AM
Great . . . I was wondering when someone was going to review this. I was worried looking at the TW notes that it played a little firm (even though it's rated soft).

I wonder how this compares to the other Zyex strings ? Prince Premiere ? and Gamma LW XP ?

I'm having elbow problems, and I need one more month with Nat Gut, and this will be my next "Look See".

. . . Bud

TennsDog
07-06-2004, 08:09 AM
I played with the 16g of this before and I was not impressed. I may have strung a bit too high, but I felt it lacked feel. It also started fraying and having gouges taken out of it after a shorter time than other strings. I guess that was the outer layer that was supposed to help with durability. I liked the way is it woven, but I will not be going back to it. I like poly strings, especially cuz they're cheap.

Craig Sheppard
07-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Bud, I have a feeling others have not liked Dynamite b/c they strung it too high. I strung mine about 15% lower than normal, so that's my only reference, I've never strung it higher to see if it gets stiff. I use a Fischer Pro Extreme FT, which is very good on the elbow and transmits very little shock in the first place, so couple that with this string, I really feel just about zero vibration in the sweet spot. I've ever hit w/ a Triad Hammer 6.0 so I can't compare there...

TennsDog, I hit w/ ALU Big Banger once and didn't like the feel. To each his own. I've played about 4 sets on the Dynamite and the outer coating has worn off right in the center few crosses. Still plays well though, and it hasn't really felt any different from the day I strung it up. I'll keep using it til it pops to get a final tally.

Overall, for $7.75, I'm very happy with the price/performance ratio.

Craig

greenfelt
07-11-2004, 05:03 PM
I have used ashaway dynamite 16 before and feels board like. Recently I switched to ashaway dynamite and topspin hybrid strung at 55.For a while it feels just fine.Later I seems boardlike is a word to describe it once again. My observation yes ashaway is a durable string but it's stubbornly enough to flank your game. It gives a boardy feel, it's been so hard to control, it's lacking power.Anybody who is interested in considering durability I would certainly recommend this wire. On the downside it doesn't give much power and control.

bsandy
07-11-2004, 05:58 PM
55 lbs would be 15-20% down from your normal 65-69 lbs.

The directions say "String it 15-20% less tan normal".

. . . Bud

stringsaver
09-14-2004, 04:34 AM
I like the Dynamite 17 Zyex string but the outer wrap seems to wear out pretty quick. I am considering using it in a hybrid with Dynamite 16 or 17 mains and Monogut in the crosses. Any opinions?

And yes, I find it plays best when you reduce tension as suggested at about 15-20%. That is not to say that it is a stiff playing string but rather that it retains its tension whereas other strings are strung up higher to compensate for tension loss.

Kick Serve
09-14-2004, 07:31 AM
I reduced tension by 10% and that worked well for me. Only two complaints... For a 17 guage it just doesn't bite the ball very well at all. And the way that outer layer "peels" off like a snake shedding its skin is just downright annoying.

kreative
09-14-2004, 01:16 PM
kickserve nailed it, i hate the "shedding" that happens w/ the outer wrap since it just dangles on the stringbed. feels nice, but doesn't last long.

bsandy
09-14-2004, 01:18 PM
How long does it take, til it sheds ?

Hits, hours, days ???

. . . Bud

mctennis
09-23-2004, 10:35 PM
I've used the Ashaway Dynamite 16g and 17g. I like the 17g better. I used the 16g to see what the difference was in playability. I think the 17g plays more like gut and has great feel. I'm talking out the 16g and replacing it with the 17g. Best non-gut string out there. I've tried a bunch. Stop wasting your money on the other synthetics and just use the Dynamite 17g IMHO.