PDA

View Full Version : espn not going to show Nadal live wednesday

tennissavy
06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
The coverage starts at 8:00am eastern time but the match will start at 6:00am eastern time!!! WTF ESPN shows all this live coverage but not for the later rounds?

Jonny S&V
06-06-2006, 08:13 AM
You would think that since Nadal is a "crossover hit" that ESPN or any other American sports network would carry that unless the "true" American past-time was going on at the same time.

zhuk
06-06-2006, 01:19 PM
The coverage starts at 8:00am eastern time but the match will start at 6:00am eastern time!!! WTF ESPN shows all this live coverage but not for the later rounds?
Unless the match turns out to be another marathon; then we'll see the tail end of it.
It is a common knowledge that ESPN sucks big time. In this case, apparently, the genius program director prefers "mike & mike".

tennissavy
06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Unless the match turns out to be another marathon; then we'll see the tail end of it.
It is a common knowledge that ESPN sucks big time. In this case, apparently, the genius program director prefers "mike & mike".
You're right. In that case, espn will show the end of the Nadal match and then re-broadcast it after the Ljubicic match if there is time to do so. That is so typical of espn. Looks like I'll end up livestreaming it at 6:00am so ESPN can't screw me out of a great match. I've been tuning in to espn less and less this year thanks to livestreaming and the Tennis Channel.

Viper
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
And for the 3298294820394832094 time...

ESPN sucks.

vkartikv
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
There are very few matches left to be played tomorrow so a) the QFs might start later than usual or b) the doubles matches may be played first. I was home for lunch and I am sure they mentioned that they were going to show both matches live during the Fed. interview.

darkhorse
06-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Honestly people, a lot more people are going to be up at 8 than at 6, it makes sense to me. So you find out the result 2 hours later than you would if it was live, big deal.

Davai
06-06-2006, 02:20 PM
You're right. In that case, espn will show the end of the Nadal match and then re-broadcast it after the Ljubicic match if there is time to do so. That is so typical of espn. Looks like I'll end up livestreaming it at 6:00am so ESPN can't screw me out of a great match. I've been tuning in to espn less and less this year thanks to livestreaming and the Tennis Channel.

What channel do you tune in on for the livestreaming?

Defcon
06-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Honestly people, a lot more people are going to be up at 8 than at 6

Some of us have been up at 2am, never mind 6! The only people this affects (i.e. people on this forum) want to watch tennis, not find out the result. The rest of the general population could care less and are certainly not going to watch friggin tennis on a weekday morning.

I was just beginning to think ESPN did a half-decent job with their 10+ hrs of coverage. Thank god, they have restored my faith in their stupidity.

tennissavy
06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
What channel do you tune in on for the livestreaming?
tvants

d_frank
06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I see his point though. The cost for them to run the live broadcast is more if they extend it two more hours. The revenue generated from the ads run during the 6-8 range is not enough for the executives to justify showing it at six.

tennissavy
06-06-2006, 02:33 PM
I see his point though. The cost for them to run the live broadcast is more if they extend it two more hours. The revenue generated from the ads run during the 6-8 range is not enough for the executives to justify showing it at six.
You're argument makes no sense when you consider that espn has shown the matches at 5am every week day last week and yesterday and today at 6am. Tomorrow there are quarterfinal matches which are, needless to say, more crucial than early round matches. Therefore, tomorrow would be well worth the cost.

arosen
06-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Can it be possible that all of this happens because Venus lost today and there are no Americans left in a draw? Hmmm....