PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tape Help

BLiND
07-06-2004, 03:05 AM
I've just got some lead tape, as I intend to add some to my RDX 500 MP.

However, the weight is only 1g per 8" long strip!... and there is only 36" of the stuff.... not even 5g.

So if I wanted to add 10g to the handle... I need two packs... I will need to add ~70" of the stuff wrapped round the handle???

This seems very exessive too me, as I'd expect it to be more like 1g per 1".

Is this normal?

PrestigeClassic
07-06-2004, 03:55 AM
Well, lead tape is usually 1g per 2 x 1/2" block. If yours is already cut down to 1/4" wide, then normal would be 1 g per 4 x 1/4" block. Maybe thet were confusing inches with centimeters. What brand is this tape of yours? And do you have a way to measure it yourself? You can put 36" on a scale and divide by 36 to find the true mass per inch.

BLiND
07-06-2004, 04:28 AM
Yes its 1/4" wide.

It says on the back, 4" is 0.5g

Don't know what brand it is... couldn't see a logo.

Will have to find some scales :-)

mary fierce
07-06-2004, 08:16 AM
He likely has the Unique brand 1/4" wide. It's been written on this board and elsewhere that this tape is 0.25 gm./inch. A company spokesperson told me the information on the package is correct, i.e. 0.125 gm./inch.

AJP
07-06-2004, 10:46 AM
The lead tape that you have is mostly made for weighting the head of a racket. When wieghting the head, you can really feel a difference of .5 g. When weighting the handle, you can get away with adding lots of weight (10 g) without it slowing down the swing much. For this reason when people add weight to the handle, they often glue a fishing weight inside the handle. I've seen some more crudle jobs like people screwing some metal washers to the bottom of the handle. I think there is a section of the learning center on this site that walkes you through how to weight the handle. Good luck.

BLiND
07-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Thanks for your help guys

Shane Reynolds
07-09-2004, 09:33 PM
I would also recommend trying to track down the Babolat lead tape, which is considerably heavier. Having both options at your disposal will let you play with the weight and balance more efficiently.