PDA

View Full Version : 1990 - A.T.P. Fines Edberg, Lendl and Agassi

OrangeOne
06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Stumbled across this 'gem' of an article from 1990. Not that the money would have meant anything to them, but found the whole article interesting....

SPORTS PEOPLE: TENNIS; A.T.P. Fines Edberg, Lendl and Agassi

Published: October 26, 1990

Stefan Edberg, Ivan Lendl and Andre Agassi were fined substantial amounts by the Association of Tennis Professionals Tour yesterday for failing to play in the required number of tournaments this year.

Edberg, the world's top-ranked player, was fined a minimum of $115,496. Lendl, ranked third, was fined a minimum $95,443 and the fifth-ranked Agassi was fined a minimum of $85,042.

Greg Sharko, an A.T.P. Tour spokesman, said the amount of the fines would increase proportionally to include any income the players earn during the rest of the year.

"This is more than a financial penalty; I see this as an expression of commitment to play the A.T.P. Tour World Championship," said Mark Miles, the A.T.P. Tour chief executive officer.

Edberg and Agassi were required to play in 11 tournaments. Lendl, because he is a 10-year veteran, was required to play one less.

All three are two tournaments short and the Paris tournament next week, in which they all are scheduled to play, is the final event before the season-ending A.T.P. Tour world championship at Frankfurt from Nov. 13-18. (AP)

LowProfile
06-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Did Agassi get slapped with fines last year? How many tournaments did he play last year anyways?

Moose Malloy
10-31-2006, 01:15 PM
do players still get fined?

Sebastien
10-31-2006, 01:19 PM

Yes
there are some obligations like top 25 must at least play 7 of the 9 master.
I don't remember where I read it but I know it exist.

The tennis guy
10-31-2006, 01:21 PM

They do.

Moose Malloy
10-31-2006, 01:23 PM
what about this part, does it still apply?

"Greg Sharko, an A.T.P. Tour spokesman, said the amount of the fines would increase proportionally to include any income the players earn during the rest of the year."

Sebastien
10-31-2006, 01:26 PM

"Greg Sharko, an A.T.P. Tour spokesman, said the amount of the fines would increase proportionally to include any income the players earn during the rest of the year."

That I remember the amount is fixed but differ from level to level
top 1-25 a certain amount
26-100 a lower amount
101++ even lower amount

There might be also a top 1-10, but not sure... I have to refind the acticle about fines.

chlsmo
10-31-2006, 01:33 PM
What if their rank changes?

The tennis guy
10-31-2006, 01:33 PM

No. There are two different types of fine now, one is for not playing enough required tournaments, two is for late withdrawals. They don't announce those anymore. The only time you hear about is when players complain about them.

scineram
10-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Edberg and Agassi were required to play in 11 tournaments. Lendl, because he is a 10-year veteran, was required to play one less.
Fed played 16, 11/13 of mandatory
Nadal 15, 10/13
Ljubo 20, 12/13
Roddick 16, 9/13
Nalbandian 14, 11/13

whistleway
10-31-2006, 01:47 PM
No. There are two different types of fine now, one is for not playing enough required tournaments, two is for late withdrawals. They don't announce those anymore. The only time you hear about is when players complain about them.

Wow. Never knew that. I wonder how much of their income they keep paying back to ATP as fines.

West Coast Ace
10-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Until the ATP reworks the schedule - at least putting more distance between the TMS events and Slams (and later working to reduce the # of tournaments and increase the offseason) - I can't see fines as the answer. Unless a player cites an injury and gets busted practicing, playing another sport (soccer or basketball) or playing an exhibition for a big appearance fee.

I understand the tournament directors' dilemma - getting stuck with tickets when top players drop out. I know I don't go to the LA summer event as often as I used to because I've decided the field is just too weak. But lashing out with fines, when the schedule is so flawed, isn't the answer.