PDA

View Full Version : Using sandpaper on strings to get more spin?

djones
07-06-2004, 03:19 AM
Would this work out to use some sandpaper to make my polyester string rougher?

TennsDog
07-06-2004, 08:13 AM
I don't think I would suggest doing this. Three reasons: one is that the texture you gave it would not last very long. Just as the shininess of the poly goes away after a short time of hitting, so would the slight roughness. Second, I am not sure you would be able to add enough texture that it would really help all that much. Never tried it, but just not sure, could be wrong. Lastly, you may risk damaging the string too much and ruining its integrity which could lead to premature breakage. It has been time and time again, but once more: the vast majority of the amount of spin is based upon technique and racket head speed, not strings or racket.

David Pavlich
07-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Use the sandpaper! Your stringer will love you! \

I wouldn't do it. There is very, very little additional spin you'd gain and you'd diminish its durability a bit.

David

Gaines Hillix
07-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Racquet head speed, swing technique(low to high) and angle of attack of the racquet face to the ball(western forehand grip), string gauage(thin) and pattern(open) are bigger factors in generating spin than any string texture that is legal.

baseliner
07-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Why not just try a testured string?