PDA

View Full Version : Question : Didn't Andre have the golden slam ?

djedi
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Andre have the golden slam ?
He has the four grandslam tittles and also won gold in the Olympic game I forgot what year it was

djedi

Ammo
06-06-2006, 08:02 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not a golden slam because he did not pull it off in the same year. I think it would pass as a career golden slam.

ACE of Hearts
06-06-2006, 08:06 PM
He has the career slam which is not bad to have.Andre is one of the best players to play this game.

TennisDog
06-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Agassi is one of only 5 male players to have won all 4 and the only male player to win each of the 4 grand slam events since they have been played on different surfaces. In the past 42 years no other male tennis player has achieved a career grand slam.

Viper
06-06-2006, 08:22 PM
His WIFE on the other hand had the Golden Slam

OrangeOne
06-06-2006, 09:02 PM

His WIFE, on the same other hand, also won everything including the kitchen sink :). 22 slams, that's some tennis....

tonysk83
06-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Agassi is one of only 5 male players to have won all 4 and the only male player to win each of the 4 grand slam events since they have been played on different surfaces. In the past 42 years no other male tennis player has achieved a career grand slam.

So when the others like Laver won their grand slams, what were the surfaces? I know the US open has jumped around being grass and clay at times.

Gilgamesh
06-06-2006, 09:20 PM

They are the definition of a tennis power couple.

30 singles GS between them. 167 singles tournament wins. 478 total weeks at #1.

If their kids are lucky enough to inherit their tennis genes...

Eviscerator
06-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Andre have the golden slam ?
He has the four grandslam tittles and also won gold in the Olympic game I forgot what year it was

djedi

No male tennis player has a "Golden Slam".
Only two male players have won an actual Grand Slam in singles, that being Don Budge in 1938, and Rod Laver did it twice in both 1962 & 1969. Also Stefan Edberg actually did it in singles as a junior back in the 80's. He also killed a linesman with a serve the same year he won it.

I am not sure there even is such a thing as an official "Golden Slam" since tennis was not an Olympic sport from the early 1900's through 1988. However, some people use the term to describe what Steffi Graf did in 1988 by winning a Grand Slam and an Olympic gold medal that year.

VGP
06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
They are the definition of a tennis power couple.

30 singles GS between them. 167 singles tournament wins. 478 total weeks at #1.

If their kids are lucky enough to inherit their tennis genes...

I bet their trophy case, more to the point, trophy gallery must be something to see.....

superman1
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
He won 3 Slams and got to the final of the 4th in 1999. That's as much as he's done in 1 year.

jamauss
06-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Also Stefan Edberg actually did it in singles as a junior back in the 80's. He also killed a linesman with a serve the same year he won it.
I heard he's got that guy - embalmed - sitting in his trophy case right next to his junior trophies.

kv581
06-06-2006, 10:30 PM
He won 3 Slams and got to the final of the 4th in 1999. That's as much as he's done in 1 year.
Actually no. In 1999 Agassi only won 2 slams in French Open and US Open. He got to Wimbledon Final.

Then in 2000 he won Australian Open.

MTXR
06-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah pete screwed him over at wimby.

rod99
06-07-2006, 03:48 AM
when laver won the grand slam in '69, all of the slams were on grass except the french. and yes, in '99 agassi only won 2 slams. he lost in the 4th round of the australian to vince spadea.

urban
06-07-2006, 06:02 AM
It is right, 3 majors were on grass in 1969. But - contrary to common believe - these were almost the only grass court tournaments, the top pros played in 1969, together with maybe the New Zealand open and Queens, and maybe Newport. Laver won in 1969 outside the Grand Slam 13 or 14 tournaments on other surfaces (carpet, hard, concrete), which were not on grass or clay.

AndrewD
06-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Urban,
Also, contrary to popular belief, having 3 of the majors played on the one surface didn't make it easier to win them. Every guy in the draw, even the clay-courters, knew how to play on grass and the top players (bar one or two) had a game built entirely around fast surfaces. That you had an absolute slew of genuinely great players who all favoured the one surface made it significantly harder to win one, let alone four of them in the one year. These days - and I extend that right through the Sampras era- there are only a few guys who play well on grass and only 1 genuinely great one in the past two eras (Sampras and Federer).

OrangeOne
06-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Also, contrary to popular belief, having 3 of the majors played on the one surface didn't make it easier to win them. Every guy in the draw, even the clay-courters, knew how to play on grass and the top players (bar one or two) had a game built entirely around fast surfaces. That you had an absolute slew of genuinely great players who all favoured the one surface made it significantly harder to win one

I don't think that holds true. There's usually (not always, but usually) a standout player on any surface at any one time. Sometimes there's two, but even that happens rarely, and not usually for years at a time.

I still contend that - the fact that there's usually one outstanding player on a surface means that, even back 'in the day', it was somewhat easier for that player to win all four in a year. If we were talking about a career slam - well back 'in the day' it was easier again, as if everyone built their game around a common surface, they were always in with more of a shot each time....

I guess history will, as it does with most things, prove us right or wrong when we can look in 20 or 30 years and see how many Grand Slams have been won in which era....

urban
06-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Yes, Andrew, i agree on that. I read in article in 2005, where it was stated, that on the uneven bounce especially at Forest Hills, surprises and upsets by big serving guys going hot, were much more probable, than on todays hard courts, where the top guys have much more time to adjust. In 1972, the then top player John Newcombe lost at Forest Hills to over-the-hill Fred Stolle by a score of 6-7,6-4,6-7,6-7. He was out of the tournament without losing his serve, thanks to the slippery surface and the unreturnable severs of Fiery Fred. The bad grass courts were certainly minefields in those days.

Eviscerator
06-08-2006, 09:45 AM
I heard he's got that guy - embalmed - sitting in his trophy case right next to his junior trophies.

LOL- That sounds more like the behavior of Michael Jackson rather than Edberg.:mrgreen:

Rabbit
06-08-2006, 10:11 AM

I'm confused....Laver '69 doesn't count?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Is the purpose of this thread to imply that because Laver's 69 slam was achieved with 3 of the 4 majors on grass it is less valid? Just making sure that is the intent of this thread. If that is the case I strongly disagree.

Moose Malloy
06-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm confused....Laver '69 doesn't count?

Well Tennis Dog said "career slam." Laver completed that when he won all 4 in '62. Emerson completed the career slam in '64. So its true no other player has completed the "career slam" in 42 years.