PDA

View Full Version : Scared for Fed.

vkartikv
06-06-2006, 08:35 PM
... that he might have forgotten how to play on grass! The last 4 weeks seemed more like a year, I find it impossible to even imagine how he is going to adjust his game back to normalcy in 2 weeks. Last year he didn't go into the FO as prepared as this year, hope he doesn't 'forget' how to play on grass. Obviously he is Fed. and only Fed. is Fed. but I hope he has no trouble adjusting.... fingers crossed.

FEDEXP
06-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Right now, his priority is Roland Garros; we'll see what happens next after the dust clears.

ATXtennisaddict
06-06-2006, 08:44 PM
It's like riding a bike, come on now.

dh003i
06-06-2006, 10:00 PM
well, I love Wimbledon, Federer loves Wimbledon, Wimbledon is great...

but at this point, as a Fed fan, I'd gladly have him get the FO, even if it meant trading off the Wimbledon.

However, I think his clay-court season adds an element to his game that will only help him in Wimbledon. He's very adaptable.

OrangeOne
06-06-2006, 10:03 PM
but at this point, as a Fed fan, I'd gladly have him get the FO, even if it meant trading off the Wimbledon.

I think he'd probably vote that way himself somehow :)

Viper
06-06-2006, 10:10 PM
He did fine last year, sure he wasn't the giving his all on clay, but it was reletively the same. He'll do fine ^_^

nadalgirl26
06-06-2006, 10:42 PM
You shoudl be scared becasue Nadal is taking his Wimbledon title away too this year, along with his U.S Open title. He has won the French for his first slam of the year and the other two are coming up later, he will win them too leaving Feederre with nothing!

snoflewis
06-06-2006, 10:56 PM
grass is his favorite surface. you can't forget how to do something when it's your favorite. you can never forget how to play your favorite sport or your favorite game. likewise, i doubt he's "forgotten" how to play on grass.

fastdunn
06-06-2006, 11:19 PM
... that he might have forgotten how to play on grass! The last 4 weeks seemed more like a year, I find it impossible to even imagine how he is going to adjust his game back to normalcy in 2 weeks. Last year he didn't go into the FO as prepared as this year, hope he doesn't 'forget' how to play on grass. Obviously he is Fed. and only Fed. is Fed. but I hope he has no trouble adjusting.... fingers crossed.

Well it's not much different these days. Same baseline styles on all surfaces...

Oricus
06-06-2006, 11:40 PM
You shoudl be scared becasue Nadal is taking his Wimbledon title away too this year, along with his U.S Open title. He has won the French for his first slam of the year and the other two are coming up later, he will win them too leaving Feederre with nothing!

That same Nadal that was bounced in the second round of Wimbledon??? Nahh, not gonna happen there, possibly the US Open

sureshs
06-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Nadal will be in the W final. Mark my words.

OrangeOne
06-07-2006, 08:19 AM

Just to confirm a few things....

W=Wimbledon, yes? (as in 'The Championships', the tennis tournament, etc?)
Which year?
Oh - and Singles, Doubles or Mixed? ;)

I think if you truly believe what you're saying, there's lots of potential money for you to be made, not that I'd want to encourage wagering money on sports.

The tennis guy
06-07-2006, 08:24 AM

What are you talking about? He played same amount of tournaments on clay this year as last year. He just played two more matches on clay this year. Even if gets to final this year, he would have just play 3 more clay matches this year than last year.

What do you mean he wasn't as prepared last year as this year? He just played better this year on clay, that's all.

sureshs
06-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Just to confirm a few things....

W=Wimbledon, yes? (as in 'The Championships', the tennis tournament, etc?)
Which year?
Oh - and Singles, Doubles or Mixed? ;)

I think if you truly believe what you're saying, there's lots of potential money for you to be made, not that I'd want to encourage wagering money on sports.

W = Wimbledon, no?

Cliff Drsydale was saying this morning (in a phone call from home, he is sick) that he likes Rafa's chances on grass. And Rafa has said grass is a high priority for him now. He has mastered clay and beaten Federer on a hard court. There are no true S&Vs left who can exploit grass to the fullest extent. He has a good chance. Borg won W being a baseliner.

The guy just has unbelievable stamina and tenacity. That will get him thru to the final, at least.

The tennis guy
06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
The guy just has unbelievable stamina and tenacity. That will get him thru to the final, at least.

Nadal to final at W this year? Only in your dream. Saw his play on grass last year? People just don't improve that drastically in one year.

benasp
06-07-2006, 08:30 AM

How about a little Ban for this ''thing'' that havn't given any constructive post and isn't going to do for a while.
Nah let's wait what she gonna respond when fed Win The French :P

sureshs
06-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Nadal to final at W this year? Only in your dream. Saw his play on grass last year? People just don't improve that drastically in one year.

But 1 year is like half of his career. He came up suddenly and took over. He has shown he can perform on hard courts. He can certainly continue the trend.

The guy is just wiping out his opponents, almost humiliating them. I can see them feeling disgusted as they are left watching his FH shots go by.

arosen
06-07-2006, 08:44 AM
He is going to absolutely crush the competition on grass this year. He basically has noone to challenge him on grass. Roddick is hurt and in disarray, Hewitt is all mellow now with his wife and kids, Rafa is going to be seeded lower than at the French, and he will lose early once again, which will be unfortunate since nadalgirl26 will have no reason to post her feisty posts anymore :)

OrangeOne
06-07-2006, 08:47 AM
W = Wimbledon, no?

I assume so. I was being slightly, well, largely facetious, as I don't believe it's possible.

Lleyton & Andre have both won Wimbledon within the 'power game' period of the last 20 or so years, as baseliners. They're also excellent volleyers (esp. Lletyon). More to the point, they can have excellent compact games, suited to being able to return blinding serves and capabable of dealing with irregular bounce. Nadal, imho, will need to "compact" his large swings a lot to ever do well at Wimbledon. I think there's many, many players who'd rather draw Nadal in the first round of wimbledon than any of the other seeds, despite him likely being the number 2 seed.

Also - on the Nadal side - don't forget that a lot of Nadal's massive spin will be blunted by the fast grass.

ACE of Hearts
06-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Roger will be fine.If he gets to the final on sunday and has a long match, i expect him to skip Halle and enter a tournament the following week leading up to wimbledon.I wonder if its possible if he would skip any grass event leading up to wimbledon?

The tennis guy
06-07-2006, 09:33 AM
But 1 year is like half of his career. He came up suddenly and took over. He has shown he can perform on hard courts. He can certainly continue the trend.

The guy is just wiping out his opponents, almost humiliating them. I can see them feeling disgusted as they are left watching his FH shots go by.

I don't know what you are watching. Nadal definitely was more dominant at French last year than this year. More than 8 hours slug in two matches is neither wiping out, nor humilating.

We heard same thing last year before Wimbledon how well Nadal was going to do on grass. What happened? Pooh!

BabolatFan
06-07-2006, 09:41 AM
W = Wimbledon, no?

Cliff Drsydale was saying this morning (in a phone call from home, he is sick) that he likes Rafa's chances on grass. And Rafa has said grass is a high priority for him now. He has mastered clay and beaten Federer on a hard court. There are no true S&Vs left who can exploit grass to the fullest extent. He has a good chance. Borg won W being a baseliner.

If Cliff Drsydale says take a hike, would you? LoL. Ok but reality is Nadal is less likely to make it to the Wimby finals. R u kidding me dude?

Moose Malloy
06-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Lleyton & Andre have both won Wimbledon within the 'power game' period of the last 20 or so years, as baseliners. They're also excellent volleyers (esp. Lletyon).

Neither guy S&Ved even one point when they won W. Hewitt's a good volleyer, but I don't think that had anything to do with him winning W.
I think he was a bit lucky in '02. All the top guys lost early thay year, he beat a lot of low ranked guys to get the title.

I wonder if its possible if he would skip any grass event leading up to wimbledon?

Do you really think Roger Federer needs any grasscourt matches before Wimbledon? I think part of the reason he always plays Halle is that they pay him very well.

BabolatFan
06-07-2006, 09:44 AM

No need to worry there mate, Federer does this for a living and he does it exceptionally well.

killer
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree with the basic consensus here; Fed's not going to have a dificult time adjusting to the grass. As tennisguy said, he will have played 3 or 4 more matches on clay this year in comparison to last, which really isn't that much, particularly considering that he did reach the semis of FO last year. That's only a couple of days earlier than if he reaches the final this year.
And even though Fed has learned a lot (and improved a lot) on clay this season, his game is far better suited to fast courts. I doubt we'll be seeing too many shanks and moments of frustration on the grass.

ACE of Hearts
06-07-2006, 09:58 AM
If thats the case, i would skip these small tournaments then.

sureshs
06-07-2006, 10:00 AM
If Cliff Drsydale says take a hike, would you? LoL. Ok but reality is Nadal is less likely to make it to the Wimby finals. R u kidding me dude?

Say what you will. He is going to the finals in W and USO.

ACE of Hearts
06-07-2006, 10:03 AM
The problem with Nadal at the U.S Open is that its a faster court.I can see guys who have explosive serves giving him problems.I dont see Nadal being in the final at the u.s open.Also he stays way behind the baseline, u cant do that on a fast surface.

BabolatFan
06-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah He can be outpowered on hardcourts. He's great on clay without a doubt. Sometimes even on clay his forehand is vulnerable against deep fast balls. When he gets them back, sometimes they barely go past the service line. Anyways Federer should be able to make history at RG finals.

fastdunn
06-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Neither guy S&Ved even one point when they won W. Hewitt's a good volleyer, but I don't think that had anything to do with him winning W.
I think he was a bit lucky in '02. All the top guys lost early thay year, he beat a lot of low ranked guys to get the title.

Plus, Wimbledon started to use slower, higher bouncing grass from 2001.

Warriorroger
06-07-2006, 02:17 PM
In order to do well at Wimbledon you need to be a great athlete as well. Nadal is fast from left to right, but he only moves well and fast on fair slow surface. In order to be succesfull at Wimbledon it takes the Graf-Federer kind of athlete do to chronically well, because of the strange bounce, which is also on gravel, but there you more time to react.

fastdunn
06-07-2006, 03:18 PM
In order to do well at Wimbledon you need to be a great athlete as well. Nadal is fast from left to right, but he only moves well and fast on fair slow surface. In order to be succesfull at Wimbledon it takes the Graf-Federer kind of athlete do to chronically well, because of the strange bounce, which is also on gravel, but there you more time to react.

Well, it takes time to learn how to move on grass.
Nadal reached 3rd round in his debut at the age of 17 in Wimbledon
beating Ancic. Federer had lost in 1st rounds in his debut and next
few years, for example.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-07-2006, 03:35 PM

Would you be willing to bet on that? :rolleyes:

sureshs
06-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Would you be willing to bet on that? :rolleyes:

After he wins RG this weekend.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
After he wins RG this weekend.

It is a yes or no question. Of course I already know the answer, you are too scared to bet since you know it wont happen and are just running your mouth off. :rolleyes:

woody6.1
06-07-2006, 05:16 PM
federer is like a cameleon(sp) .. he can adapt to whatever surrounds him.. (hopefuly he can get better at clay, QUICKER)

The Pusher Terminator
06-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Fed will win Wimbledon. nuff said.