PDA

View Full Version : who was the last man to win all 4 grand slams in one season?

Alafter
06-07-2006, 05:29 AM
has it ever been done? one season jan-dec. all 4 slams.

Andres
06-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Rod Laver. 40 years ago.

mdhubert
06-07-2006, 06:31 AM
1969, 37 years ago exactly. If he wins RG, Fed could do 6 in a row. Crazy ! Bit early though...

vive le beau jeu !
06-07-2006, 06:33 AM
stefan edberg in 1984.

okay...... juniors ! but these are still 4 slams !!! ;)

baseliner
06-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Laver 1962 and 1969 and Don Budge (forgot the year) are the only males to win the Grand Slam.

Shabazza
06-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Laver 1962 and 1969 and Don Budge (forgot the year) are the only males to win the Grand Slam.
It's a shame Laver wasn't allowed to play the slams '63-'68 - I'm positive he would have at least 1 more grand slam.

Moose Malloy
06-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Questions like this make me sad. Tennis fans are so ignorant about their sport. I can't imagine a baseball fan(however young) actually posting on a sports message board, "What player has hit the most home runs?"

OrangeOne
06-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Questions like this make me sad. Tennis fans are so ignorant about their sport. I can't imagine a baseball fan(however young) actually posting on a sports message board, "What player has hit the most home runs?"

Hmm - I was going to say - hey - there's new fans all the time and it's cool that they want to learn (and I do stand by that still :) ).

Must say I'm a bit suprised to see that the OP has 314 posts to their name on a tennis forum, I am a little surprised at that!

gts072
06-07-2006, 08:07 AM
At least do some research before wasting a post on a obvious answer than can be found anywhere on the net.

chaognosis
06-07-2006, 08:13 AM
It's a shame Laver wasn't allowed to play the slams '63-'68 - I'm positive he would have at least 1 more grand slam.

Laver was allowed to compete at several majors in 1968. He actually lost the first Open major final at the French to Ken Rosewall, then went on to win the first Open Wimbledon. Had other pros been allowed to play during the 1960s, it's unlikely Laver would have won his first Grand Slam in 1962 -- Laver did not get the upper hand over Rosewall, then the best player in the world, until 1964. He very well may have won the Grand Slam some other year, though, after he'd reached No. 1 on the pro circuit (i.e., 1965 and afterward). In 1967, Laver's most dominant year as a pro, he won all three major pro championships. So my guess is Laver would still have two Grand Slams, even if professionals were allowed to play; however, he would undoubtedly have won more major titles overall.

chaognosis
06-07-2006, 08:18 AM
1969, 37 years ago exactly. If he wins RG, Fed could do 6 in a row. Crazy ! Bit early though...

That would match the achievement of Don Budge, Maureen Connolly, and Martina Navratilova. If Federer could then go on to win the Australian Open in 2007, he would tie Margaret Court's record for most consecutive major titles, with seven.

Alafter
06-07-2006, 08:20 AM
At least do some research before wasting a post on a obvious answer than can be found anywhere on the net.

I did, couldnt find it.

And you could have just not read my post and moved on with life. Never asked for your help specifically really. Never asked for your opnion on anything either. Bug off?

Alafter
06-07-2006, 08:21 AM

What are you, the human tennis archive? I find out as much as I am interested.

Alafter
06-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Lastly, thanks for all those who kindly responded with the answers. I was unable to find the answer myself.

Moose Malloy
06-07-2006, 08:28 AM
I did, couldnt find it.

Just out of curiosity, where did you look? I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't get a ton of sites come up when searching google.

What are you, the human tennis archive? I find out as much as I am interested.

No worries. Its just a game after all, you don't need to know anything about it to enjoy playing it or watching it.
It just puts into perspective for me the endless threads about fed being the best ever on this board. Wonder how many of those posters don't know who Laver is (or many other great players of the last century) either.

simi
06-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Lastly, thanks for all those who kindly responded with the answers. I was unable to find the answer myself.

Entering "tennis grand slam" (with the quotes) into a Google search engine yielded this as the first hit.

titled: Tennis-Grand Slam Top Men
http://www.vilacom.net/tennis/m-grandslam.php

The third hit is a pretty good page too.

titled: Men's and Women's Tennis Grand Slam Records and Statistics
http://ourworld.cs.com/atomalt/

p.s. The key to using Google is to use quotes around the exact phrase you are searching for.

p.p.s. Moose is one of the guys who wears a white hat.

Alafter
06-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, where did you look? I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't get a ton of sites come up when searching google.

No worries. Its just a game after all, you don't need to know anything about it to enjoy playing it or watching it.
It just puts into perspective for me the endless threads about fed being the best ever on this board. Wonder how many of those posters don't know who Laver is (or many other great players of the last century) either.

I would love to see the older players in action, but I dont think it's possible in thailand. I'd have to put in too much effort to get my hands on full vids of old matches.

As for fed being best ever, hard to say. It'll be interesting to see all the known greats born into the same era, where techniques and eqs are available to all on equal basis.

Rickson
06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Hank Aaron.

LowProfile
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Alright. Remember this information and know not to ask it again.

The Calendar Grand Slam (defined as winning all four majors in one calendar year) has been done three times by two different men.

Don Budge in 1938
Rod Laver in 1962 and 1969

It has never been done since all four majors were played on three different surfaces.

The Career Grand Slam is defined as winning all four majors within one's career. It has been accomplished three times (not counting the two that made Calendar Grand Slams).

Fred Perry in the 1930s
Roy Emerson in the 1960s
Andre Agassi in the 1990s

Agassi is the only one to do it so far when the majors are played on three different surfaces. This is part of what makes his legacy so great.

Shabazza
06-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Laver was allowed to compete at several majors in 1968. He actually lost the first Open major final at the French to Ken Rosewall, then went on to win the first Open Wimbledon. Had other pros been allowed to play during the 1960s, it's unlikely Laver would have won his first Grand Slam in 1962 -- Laver did not get the upper hand over Rosewall, then the best player in the world, until 1964. He very well may have won the Grand Slam some other year, though, after he'd reached No. 1 on the pro circuit (i.e., 1965 and afterward). In 1967, Laver's most dominant year as a pro, he won all three major pro championships. So my guess is Laver would still have two Grand Slams, even if professionals were allowed to play; however, he would undoubtedly have won more major titles overall.
Maybe, though I'm positive that he would have a 3rd calender GS, but for sure he would have more GS titles than Sampras...15+.
But "what if's" doesn't change records and facts. He has 2 Grand Slams and 11 slams in total...still those wasted years are a shame....

simi
06-07-2006, 11:23 AM
The Calendar Grand Slam (defined as winning all four majors in one calendar year) has been done three times by two different men.

Good stuff, LowProfile. An expansion of this is called the "Golden Slam", or "Golden Grand Slam". It has only been accomplished once in history, by Steffi Graf in 1988. She won all four Grand Slams in addition to the Olympic Gold medal in singles, in the same calendar year.

Andre Agassi has won a "career Golden Slam", meaning that he has won all five tournaments, but not in the same year. These are the only two. If you include doubles, the William sisters and Gigi Fernandez (with different partners) have won a doubles career golden slam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Slam#Golden_Slam