PDA

View Full Version : Left Racket in car

chrisphillips
07-06-2004, 05:54 AM
So this is probably a stupid post. However, I am concerned. I have been leaving my racquet in the car on hot days (95 degrees) and now I think that I have ruined my racket. That is, either my game has deteriorated or there is a problem with the racket. It just doesn't seem like I hit the ball well very often. Strokes that I think will feel good end up feeling like crap. Anyhow, I was curious if others have had the same experience. Also, do you have an idea if the strings are just shot or if it is probably the whole racquet? Thanks for any info.

JohnThomas1
07-06-2004, 06:08 AM
You can ruin your racquet for sure this way. It might just be the strings tho, all the horror stories i know about racquets cars and hot days involve the racquet imploding. Saw a nice Ti S8 go this way amongst others. I'd restring right away or get your pro's advice. Definitely cheaper to change strings first.

Leslie Kwong
07-06-2004, 08:58 AM
The heat will cause the graphite type of material to be unstable in their bonding and "melt" down.
I have a late friend who showed me her Volkl V1 Vario calssic after she left it in the sun inside her car for the whole day in temperture around 30C. The racket deform and semibroken down in the 2 oclock region!
I also understand that through toime and long use, the graphite will be "less " Lively to feel on hand when you play......personal experience with my Prince OS origional graphite...

David Pavlich
07-06-2004, 11:29 AM
The problem is that strings do not enjoy heat, especially the green house that the inside of a car can become. You can expect to lose 8 or 10 pounds tension in a few hours of basting in that kind of heat.

I've never seen a newer racquet frame that had a problem with the heat, but that's not to say that it couldn't happen. However, the heat required to bond the resin to the graphite matrix is much, much higher than what you could ever reproduce in your car.

David

Gaines Hillix
07-06-2004, 12:53 PM
On a 95o day, the temperature inside the car can reach over 120o. The strings will be ruined, no question. I doubt the racquet will be harmed. It's at least worth getting it restrung before giving up on it.

Steve Huff
07-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I don't think a newer graphite model will be hurt either. I've seen wood rackets warp and I even had a Head Arthur Ashe Comp I almost curl up after being left in the back window of a car too long, but never a graphite model. I'd bet the strings were shot now too, which the heat can affect.

PrestigeClassic
07-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Yup! I've heard a few times of players taking their racket "out of their car" only to have the strings pop shortly therafter, once they popped IN the car, and that was synthetic. If you can't take your racket with you, then at least park in the shade and/or with at least one window at least partially open.

Stormwolf
07-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Sorry someone said "Nice Ti.S8" :lol:
I can't stop laughing!

--> (has no respect for such junk)

JohnThomas1
07-07-2004, 01:22 AM
LOL!! Yeah it LOOKED nice and new hahaha. They didn't do much for me either hehehe