PDA

View Full Version : Who would win?

unjugon
06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
...between the best Guga vs today´s Nadal on clay?

I´ll say Guga on one of his 5 set victories, like those vs Medvedev, Muster, or Kafelnikov. He was a monster on 5-setters!

Moose Malloy
06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I was just looking at Gugas match stats on atptennis archves. The guy served an inordinate amount of aces for a great claycourter. His game is much less taxing than Nadal's, so I like his chances.

Nadal is no doubt a great clay player, but he is winning all these matches against a lesser field than Guga did(as you said Muster, Medvedev, Kafelnikov, Ferrero, Corretja, Bruguera)

Nadal is beating guys like Djokovic, Ferrer, Gaudio(really the most pathetic competitor I've seen in 20 years of following tennis. Makes Rios look like Jimmy Connors), & now what Ljubicic in the semis?

Max G.
06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Not a clue, too hard to predict... Kuerten was so damn GOOD on clay, but Nadal is even more dominant.

unjugon
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Latest on Guga, at 7/6/2006:

"Guga, "empresário da moda", assiste a desfile no Fashion Rio e diz que deve voltar às competições no final de julho"
from his website

He says he should be back competing by late July.:D

unjugon
06-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Guga´s head to head:

vs Agassi: 4-7
vs Sampras: 1-2
vs Muster: 3-0
vs Moya: 5-3
vs Corretja: 6-2
vs Costa: 6-2
vs Rusedski : 1-4 (?)
vs Rafter: 4-4
vs Kafelnikov: 7-5
vs Hewitt: 1-3
vs Bjorkman: 1-2
vs Berasategui: 2-1
vs Henman: 3-5
vs Norman: 7-4
vs Ivanisevic: 6-2
vs Ferrero: 2-3

oscar_2424
06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
...between the best Guga vs today´s Nadal on clay?

I´ll say Guga on one of his 5 set victories, like those vs Medvedev, Muster, or Kafelnikov. He was a monster on 5-setters!
Nobody can beat the best GUga

Gugafan_Redux
06-07-2006, 11:00 AM
This is a tough one.

Guga's long arms and loopy, loosey-goosey strokes really let him crack the forehand and drive the ball, redirecting it cross court on the back hand, or driving anything short on the backhand up the line with equal consistancy. But the key might be he had good hands and great coverage (reach) at net. Only required average anticipation and reaction time and could put away the volleys on the attempted pass. (He had nice touch on the dropper too.) And, of course, tough to lob him, given his height.

Finally, Guga's serve was underrated. (Though someone above noted it.) It would certainly help him hold consistently.

I'll stay on the fence on this one, and say this hypothetical match would dang close and fun to watch!

LowProfile
06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Gaudio(really the most pathetic competitor I've seen in 20 years of following tennis. Makes Rios look like Jimmy Connors), & now what Ljubicic in the semis?

What does that mean? Rios look like Jimmy Connors? Connors was a far more accomplished and successful (although in my mind, not as talented) player than Rios ever was.

Gugafan_Redux
06-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Re: Gudio, Rios, Connors.

Very spicy food (such as salsa with habenero chilis in it) makes relatively spicy food (a milder salsa with jalepenos) seem flavorless (like mashed potatoes) BY COMPARISON.

Thus a mental midget such a Guadio makes the relatively weak mental toughness of Rios seem strong BY COMPARISON. Strong like Connors.

This has been Analogies 101 with Dr. Guganfan, Ph D. There is no homework for next time. Just work on your mental toughness in matches. Dismissed.