PDA

View Full Version : Will Federer come forward against Nadal?

IvanYentl
06-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Assuming they meet in the final...

Will Federer stay on the offensive and come forward early and often, serving and volleying like we know he can, pressing to finish off points quickly at net? IMO this is the only way he can win on clay against the world's best retriever.

The tennis guy
06-07-2006, 09:49 AM
He won't and shouldn't serve and volleyn a lot. He defintely will come to net during points he is controlling like he did at Rome, he came to net like 80 times winning like more than 70% of the points

Eviscerator
06-07-2006, 09:52 AM

Will Federer stay on the offensive and come forward early and often, serving and volleying like we know he can, pressing to finish off points quickly at net? IMO this is the only way he can win on clay against the world's best retriever.

He had match points against him in Rome, so I suspect he will do the same type of things. I did not see the match, but he should attack the net more, but I doubt he will exclusively S&V on clay.

fastdunn
06-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Then again Federer lost 6 straight net points to hand the final set
over to Nadal at Dubai on hard court.

Nadal usually passes much better than he did at Rome this year.

I would say Federer is undecided at this point. He doesn't want to be
like Edberg against Chang in 1989 FO.

simi
06-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Unless Nadal is pulling a bluff like Lance Armstrong up l'Alpe d'Huez on stage 10 of the 2001 Tour de France, Federer would be well served to keep the points long in the first couple sets. Then, start pressuring Rafael at the net later in the match. (Then again, I'm not Tony Roach, so I don't know what the best strategy would be.)

fastdunn
06-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Unless Nadal is pulling a bluff like Lance Armstrong up l'Alpe d'Huez on stage 10 of the 2001 Tour de France, Federer would be well served to keep the points long in the first couple sets. Then, start pressuring Rafael at the net later in the match. (Then again, I'm not Tony Roach, so I don't know what the best strategy would be.)

That's the usual strategy Federer uses on everybody.
Against Nadal, it just doesn't work in the way it worksed on everyone else.
Nadal is currently only guy who can neutralize Federer's
baseline game and do better from baseline.

Federer is hard pressed to take more risk at the net earlier
in the match with Nadal. But he should be careful with it because
1) It's on clay, 2) Nadal has great passing game, 3) Federer
is not exactly Edberg, McEnroe or even Sampras at the net.

I think Federer's serving stat is important. He should have
best serving day and then he can afford to take more risk
in Nadal's game.

araghava
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Fed hasn't been attacking the net much so far. It's a little surprising given he has to do this if hopes to beat Nadal. One would have thought we would be practice his net play a little in anticipation of the Nadal match. I don't this he would really be risking losing in a earlier round by being more aggresive.

The Pusher Terminator
06-07-2006, 01:33 PM

People underestimate Nadals net skills. This guy has some great hands at the net....he is no retriever.

andfor
06-07-2006, 01:37 PM
People underestimate Nadals net skills. This guy has some great hands at the net....he is no retriever.

True. I am sure his net skills will serve him well and we'll see him in the semis at Wimbledon later this month showing off his volleys.;)

federerhoogenbandfan
06-07-2006, 01:37 PM

You are again talking about a very sharp Federer being unable to beat even a supbar Nadal in the Roma final. I agree but saying that dont you realize how silly you sound trying to say clay and grass are almost the same as you have many times, and trying to suggest Roger is similarly comfortable on clay then grass.

On clay by your own admission a very sharp Federer cant beat a subpar Nadal, yet on grass Nadal at his best could not even take a set off Federer at his worst. Yet you constantly state todays surfaces are practicaly the same. Very strange.

simi
06-07-2006, 01:55 PM
True. I am sure his net skills will serve him well and we'll see him in the semis at Wimbledon later this month showing off his volleys.;)

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but ya know, much as I hate to back up Pusher, he has a point, at least in this tournament. So far, in the five matches he has played, Nadal has won 48 points on 68 net approaches for a 71% win percentage. Our favorite all-courter has won 88 points on 120 net approaches in his five matches for a 73.3% win percentage.

Now, no one (in his right mind) will say that Nadal has the net game of a Henman, Becker, Sampras, et.al.; but 71% is better than I've seen while watching him this week on the TV.

The guy can certainly go back and forth across the back of the court. Nobody will argue that. Let's see if he can move up and back with the same efficiency the next few weeks.

Warriorroger
06-07-2006, 02:12 PM
..about their feelings for each other?

jackson vile
06-07-2006, 02:47 PM

Fed will poke around and feel it out before he makes a real comitment, at that point he will press forward.

Nadal will not be as tired as in Rome, but Roger will get a longer break than Nadal.

Nadal will stick to his usual, but this time with much better rested mind and body, he has been tested several times.

While Roger got his dream draw and has gluided through, IMO if properly rested this will only help Nadal as he will be in proper form.

Roger will not as now he will have a real opponent to face, not to mention we have all seen how the nervs get to Roger.

If Nadal wins he will be a legend, completely destroying anyother clay court reacord ever set, and will be ready to bring his A game to the hard court season

fastdunn
06-07-2006, 02:49 PM
You are again talking about a very sharp Federer being unable to beat even a supbar Nadal in the Roma final. I agree but saying that dont you realize how silly you sound trying to say clay and grass are almost the same as you have many times, and trying to suggest Roger is similarly comfortable on clay then grass.

On clay by your own admission a very sharp Federer cant beat a subpar Nadal, yet on grass Nadal at his best could not even take a set off Federer at his worst. Yet you constantly state todays surfaces are practicaly the same. Very strange.

I have no clue on how you connected surface issue with the posting you
quoted in your posting.

I may sound silly somtimes but where did I mention surface issue
in my posting you quoted here ????

fastdunn
06-07-2006, 02:55 PM
yeah, I can not deny the excitements getting build up
(if Federer meets Nadal).

But I think Nadal will have more mental pressure although
I'm amazed how well he is handling all thes pressures.

I guess Federer will also have this nerves for golden slam.

Fed will poke around and feel it out before he makes a real comitment, at that point he will press forward.

Nadal will not be as tired as in Rome, but Roger will get a longer break than Nadal.

Nadal will stick to his usual, but this time with much better rested mind and body, he has been tested several times.

While Roger got his dream draw and has gluided through, IMO if properly rested this will only help Nadal as he will be in proper form.

Roger will not as now he will have a real opponent to face, not to mention we have all seen how the nervs get to Roger.

If Nadal wins he will be a legend, completely destroying anyother clay court reacord ever set, and will be ready to bring his A game to the hard court season

federerhoogenbandfan
06-07-2006, 02:58 PM
I have no clue on how you connected surface issue with the posting you
quoted in your posting.

I may sound silly somtimes but where did I mention surface issue
in my posting you quoted here ????

You did not mention it is in this posting at all. I was recalling some of the things you said in another posting, and putting it together with this one. You are emphasizing a very sharp Federer cant beat a subpar Nadal on clay by referring to the Roma final, and talking about all the things Nadal wasnt doing, how exceptional Federer played, and of course Federer still could not win the match. Yet you said on another thread that the difference between clay and grass was barely anything these days.

Well on clay a very sharp Federer cant beat a subpar Nadal according to your accessment of the Roma final. Yet on grass Nadal at his best cant even take a set off Federer at his worse, so obviously there is an extreme surface difference contrary to what you have said in the past.

fastdunn
06-07-2006, 03:05 PM
You did not mention it is in this posting at all. I was recalling some of the things you said in another posting, and putting it together with this one. You are emphasizing a very sharp Federer cant beat a subpar Nadal on clay by referring to the Roma final, and talking about all the things Nadal wasnt doing, how exceptional Federer played, and of course Federer still could not win the match. Yet you said on another thread that the difference between clay and grass was barely anything these days.

Well on clay a very sharp Federer cant beat a subpar Nadal according to your accessment of the Roma final. Yet on grass Nadal at his best cant even take a set off Federer at his worse, so obviously there is an extreme surface difference contrary to what you have said in the past.

I'm sorry, pal. You lost me here. Too hard to undestand.
Tell me what you disagree here in simpler terms, please....

I said: 1) There are "LESS" differences between surfaces now compared to past.
2). They are all played in "SAME" baseliner style.
These are two different things, perhaps you're confused between two ?

jackson vile
06-07-2006, 03:26 PM
yeah, I can not deny the excitements getting build up
(if Federer meets Nadal).

But I think Nadal will have more mental pressure although
I'm amazed how well he is handling all thes pressures.

I guess Federer will also have this nerves for golden slam.

Don't you have to win the Olympic tennis for Golden.

Nadal has his family allways there suporting him, he is very grounded, Roger does not have that.

FedererUberAlles
06-07-2006, 05:03 PM
He really needs serve variation first and foremost.

arosen
06-07-2006, 08:28 PM
A lot will depend on how the courts would play. If they play fast, then Roger would have to play net more to win the points quickly. If the weather stays cool and rainy, then it would be suicide for him to go in. Also, what if Rafa has a tough match with Ivan? A 5 setter can tire him, and make his life more difficult in the final. Although most likely he will finish Ivan in 3 and be as fresh as a daisy and beat up on a despondent Fed who would be coming off a 5 hour marathon with Nalby.

simi
06-07-2006, 08:37 PM
...If the weather stays cool and rainy, then...

Just for fun, I checked the extended forecast. Sunday, in Paris, is forecast to have a high of 80 degrees F and be Sunny (without cloud cover). Sounds like a fast (or faster) court.

dmastous
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but ya know, much as I hate to back up Pusher, he has a point, at least in this tournament. So far, in the five matches he has played, Nadal has won 48 points on 68 net approaches for a 71% win percentage. Our favorite all-courter has won 88 points on 120 net approaches in his five matches for a 73.3% win percentage.

Now, no one (in his right mind) will say that Nadal has the net game of a Henman, Becker, Sampras, et.al.; but 71% is better than I've seen while watching him this week on the TV.

I'll sneak in a post at this point.
I think figures like this are misleading. I remember watching Conners play back in the '80s and hearing the commentators constantly say how effective he was at the net. He was winning maybe 80% or 90% of points at the net. So they came to the conclusion that he should come in more. Like he should serve and volley and really win easily. No one seemed to mention that most of those points were off a penetrating forehand or backhand that sent his opponent way off court and he just cruised in and put away the volley.
Both Federer and Nadal benefit from the same situation. They spin a shot way out wide and then come to finish the point.

Matthew
06-07-2006, 09:55 PM
As good as Federer is, I don't think its possible to hit a good enough approach against Nadal. He can make a passing shot from literally anywhere on the court.

Its never bad to mix it up and come in here and there to surprise your opponent, but trying to build his effort around it is going to be just too hard. I like Federer's chances if he can construct the points and be patient, and hit his shots when he has the opportunity.

For the record, I'm rooting for Roger this year :mrgreen:

Viper
06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Roger will win in 4 sets, as I've said ever since Rome.

Tsunami
06-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Nadal has his family allways there suporting him, he is very grounded, Roger does not have that.

That is total BS - Would you care to share your insights on Roger's family situation and / or support ?

andfor
06-08-2006, 06:24 AM

The guy can certainly go back and forth across the back of the court. Nobody will argue that. Let's see if he can move up and back with the same efficiency the next few weeks.

Interesting stats. Let's see the same comparison when they are at Wimbledon. I have a strange feeling Nadal will be at net less throughout the course of the tournament.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Interesting stats. Let's see the same comparison when they are at Wimbledon. I have a strange feeling Nadal will be at net less throughout the course of the tournament.

I think Wimbledon will be a 1 week tournament for Nadal this year as well personally.

andfor
06-11-2006, 05:57 AM
We may need to talk about this later.

The Pusher Terminator
06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
We may need to talk about this later.

Ok...we have done battle. After debating now for two French opens in a row, have I finally converted my doubting Thomas? Do you now agree that the chances of Fed ever winning the French are slim to none?

andfor
06-13-2006, 05:23 AM
You said he won't ever win it. I say that's an easier prediction than picking the winner. You did the latter of this year, congrats. Again, your prediction is similar to me saying Nadal will never win Wimbledon. What are my odds at the sports book with these kind of predictions? There are none and there's a reason.

As for Fed coming forward against Nadal in the FO final. Aren't you suprised how little he attacked. It's as if his stratagy at Rome was to come forward at all times and he almost won having at least had match points. He then changed to complete opposite tactics in the FO final and stayed back like a grinder.

I am a little suprised at how Fed played and wonder what kind of coaching Tony Roache is really supplying to Fed if much of any??????????????????

Nadal was the better player again.

Out.

The Pusher Terminator
06-13-2006, 05:45 AM
You said he won't ever win it. I say that's an easier prediction than picking the winner. You did the latter of this year, congrats. Again, your prediction is similar to me saying Nadal will never win Wimbledon. What are my odds at the sports book with these kind of predictions? There are none and there's a reason.

As for Fed coming forward against Nadal in the FO final. Aren't you suprised how little he attacked. It's as if his stratagy at Rome was to come forward at all times and he almost won having at least had match points. He then changed to complete opposite tactics in the FO final and stayed back like a grinder.

I am a little suprised at how Fed played and wonder what kind of coaching Tony Roache is really supplying to Fed if much of any??????????????????

Nadal was the better player again.

Out.

Awwww man!!! Come on. The odds for Fed just keep getting slimmer and slimmer. He is just getting older and the tour is getting deeper. I am not looking for credit (but thanks)...but do you really believe that Fed WILL win the French...thats very different from "CAN" win the French. Of course anything is possible...but do you really think that he WILL win the French? I say the odds are VERY much against him.

As far as coming forward...its hard to say. I just dealt with that issue in my newest post: "Feds mistake was beating Nadal 6-1 in the first" ...check it out.