PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic's interview today

Rhino
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Have you seen some of his comments....!!?
On playing Nadal:

"...during the match, he was not so comfortable. I saw that. I think I had the control of the match. I just didn't finish it on the right way when I needed to."
"I realized today that I don't need to play anything special, you know. I don't need to play anything special. Everybody thinks, you know, Nadal........if I will serve, you know, my serve is pretty good, I will use this serve and use the opportunities and I think I will win the second set, you know.
And I think I could win today, you know. I have to say that even though that he's the best and everybody thinks that he's unbeatable, I say he's not unbeatable. He's beatable, you know...and especially in this match when he didn't know how to play against me...He was not feeling too comfortable in control of the match, that's for sure."

Is he mad?

unjugon
06-07-2006, 09:56 AM
He is 19...seems very confident and aggressive judging by those words. I think heŽll go up in rankings and perform well on fast courts.

tnkGod4tns
06-07-2006, 10:10 AM
seems like he wasn't making any sense, he was saying that he felt that he had the match under control and that rafa is not unbeatable in clay, djoko's playing did not back up his post match interview, Gilbert was saying that next time they meet rafa is going to put the gas pedal all the way.

Rhino
06-07-2006, 10:13 AM
He is 19...seems very confident and aggressive judging by those words. I think heŽll go up in rankings and perform well on fast courts.
Yeah but I watched that match live.
Djokovic was so easy for Nadal that Nadal literally just kicked back and lost concentration for a few games because he knew he just couldn't lose. It was like a practice session for him!

kicker75
06-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't think he's disrepecting Nadal, but his choice of words aren't the greatest. There's a lot of "smack" talk in tennis, and in some ways IMO it's necessary and it isn't. Since tennis is such a mental game, you need to believe you can beat someone, or you never will. Look at Andy Roddick. He always talks about how he never can beat Federer, and in his mind I don't think he believes he can...and thus probably never will (unless Federer is off his game) Even Federer started some "smack" talk about Nadal, saying that he has figured out a way to beat him on clay (even though he never has). Maybe saying it outloud gets into the opponents head too. Seems to me like it's all mental games in a sport that is so reliant on mental toughness.

yonex90
06-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Hewitt and Djokovic seem to think that they know how to beat Nadal. Djokovic seems to think that he could beat Nadal without injury. It seems to me that Nadal is a little off right now. I think if Federer wants to win he may be able to. There is also a good chance that Nadal is backing off to conserve for the Finals. This is what it seems like to me but those professional players know more than I do.

Ripper
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Is he mad?

Yes.

Gugafan_Redux
06-07-2006, 11:10 AM
It's called damage control. Like when you get dumped with a shi**y project at work, you say, "Oh, it's a privelege to be given this opportunity. I look forward to the challenge."

Ripper
06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Hewitt and Djokovic seem to think that they know how to beat Nadal.

Hewitt looked convincing against Nadal. So, I'd believe him. Djokovic, on the other hand, just sucked. When did he get injured? Was it when he fell? because that was during the 2nd set, wasn't it?

highsierra
06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
I watched the match live for a while. He was broken 3 times in the first set and he thinks he's got a pretty good serve?

Anyway, I found this kid's behavior below average professionally and ethically (another case is last year's USO). If you lose a hard fought close match and say that, I understand. However, that first set was not close and retire by injury doesn't give you the right to speculate whatifs. You have to be physically able to compete in sports, it's just common sense.

mislav
06-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Hewitt and Djokovic seem to think that they know how to beat Nadal.
Put Fed on that list too. ;)

highsierra
06-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah I know how to beat these guys too. Can anyone execute? so far none, so talk is cheap.

Virtuous
06-07-2006, 11:38 AM
If by 'in control' he means dejected looking, negative, inconsistent and down 2-0 sets, then yes he was 'in control' :rolleyes: coincidentally, he said the same thing after his loss to fed in mc. I wonder how long it'll be before he realizes it doesn't add any kind of fear factor, just makes him sound foolish

tonysk83
06-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Whatever he needs to say to keep up his confidence he will say.

nn
06-07-2006, 12:39 PM
yeah he just want to make himself happy because he lost.. looser talk like that..even club players say that after every match

tennisbug
06-07-2006, 01:05 PM
is anyone annoyed by djokovic's serving? those endless bouncing of the drive me mad, i am suprised that the umpire did not give him warning, what a liberty!

tennisbug
06-07-2006, 01:06 PM
bouncing the ball before serving,i mean

pero
06-07-2006, 01:40 PM
anyone saw his shoes? he wrote "vamos nole" with pen, just like rafa :D

mj01
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
If you didn't see, Nadal's response when told of Djokovic's comments was priceless. He got a very confused look on his face, then asked someone to translate it to Spanish, because the question was in English, and Nadal wasn't certain he had understood it correctly.

Earth to Djokovic- there's a fine line between self-confidence and utter delusion, which you pretty much tiptoed past with your comments.

David L
06-07-2006, 02:34 PM
anyone saw his shoes? he wrote "vamos nole" with pen, just like rafa :D

Yes, I think he did that to make fun of Nadal.

fastdunn
06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
I'll get flamed from Federer fans for this: it actually sounded
like Federer.

Only difference is the other comments were from world #1 and thus
somewhat more convincing (and might well be true..)

All these hard balling while Nadal is decisively low-key...

mj01
06-07-2006, 03:10 PM
like Federer.

All these hard balling while Nadal is decisively low-key...

Yeah, but Federer wasn't saying those type of things after losing 2 sets 6-4, then quitting. He was saying those type of things after losing in 5 sets, 5 hours plus, holding 2 match points at one time. Big difference.

If Federer had said what Djokovic did in a similar situation, he would have opened himself up to a lot of ridicule. Not as much as Djokovic, since Federer is #1, but still a significant amount.

exruda
06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
like Federer.

But that's a crucial difference...

monologuist
06-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Djokovic is not being delusional...he's right....Nadal is not unbeatable...and he's right, he has the tools to beat him if he plays to his considerable potential. However his conditioning and strength are not nearly at the point at which he can pose any sort of consistent threat against the likes of Nadal. Djokovic still has the body of a teenager...if he trains hard, builds his endurance, puts some meat on his scrawny frame, and gets some more quality wins under his belt to fortify his confidence, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be able to be Nadal.

His whining character and questionable mental toughness on the other hand could prove to be insurmountable obstacles to his ever reaching his potential....it's too early to tell...he has had some impressive results in just a season and a half on the tour...but it's hard to judge before players become familiar with his game and figure out how to play his weaknesses...which doesn't start to happen until more like season three, assuming he progresses and keeps himself afloat in top tournaments. From watching him play, his weaknesses are not all that obvious to me; he has a lethal forehand, a very solid backhand (better than Nadal's), a powerful serve, is comfortable operating out of the backcourt, moves well for a tall lanky guy, has excellent court sense, uses angles well, can change pace and rhythm in rallies, has good instincts and hands at the net, is comfortable in the forecourt, and plays a game that is essentially attacking but isn't forced. Pretty well-rounded game really for a guy his age...anyone disagree?

BabolatFan
06-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Actually I kinda dig Djokovic's game. He has the potential to beat Nadal in the future. However, his mental game waned and his game fell apart. Oh yeah I gotta agree with him that Nadal is not invincible. He did well with his english too.

Alexandros
06-07-2006, 05:09 PM
If you didn't see, Nadal's response when told of Djokovic's comments was priceless. He got a very confused look on his face, then asked someone to translate it to Spanish, because the question was in English, and Nadal wasn't certain he had understood it correctly.

Earth to Djokovic- there's a fine line between self-confidence and utter delusion, which you pretty much tiptoed past with your comments.

Tiptoed? He threw up on the line and rolled all over it.

like Federer.

One other difference - context. Federer has actually taken sets off Nadal and their matches have been close. In fact, Federer has actually held match points. Very big difference.

Djokovic's ego is seriously out of control.

AceYouVeryMuch
06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I don't like Djokovic.. at all.

mj01
06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Hey, I like Djokovic's game. And yeah, Nadal is not unbeatable. But you don't come out and talk about how you felt in control of a match after you didn't come remotely close to winning that match.

Manda_D
06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
i like novak.. a lot! in a few years this kid is going to be an awesome player. and so what, he lost to nadal.. but look at who else he's beaten this week.. Tommy Haas *in straight sets i might add* and gonzo.. that it a pretty huge effort.

Wondertoy
06-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, they guy is an *****hole but he has a decent game. He saying this because he broke Rafa 3 times and he actually hit more winners (27 to 20)than Nadal in the match. So he felt that if he wasn't injured, he may have taken Nadal. It's just that Nadal's game makes you work. Nadal is beatable. I think you have to hit behind Nadal rather than hit to the open court. Nadal baits his opponent to hit to the open ourt but he chases it down and rips it back.

zhuk
06-07-2006, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=fastdunn]I'll get flamed from Federer fans for this: it actually sounded
like Federer.

Hey, don't let those posting terrorists (the so called "fans" of the weeping wuss) keep you from expressing your viewpoint. :D

I agree with your statement, - Federer can say something like that simply because he HAS beaten Nadal.
BTW, Nadal himself is the last guy to dispute that he's beatable.
:mrgreen:

slice bh compliment
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Rookie mistake to talk like that after a breakthrough like this. Refreshing, though.
He could have left well enough alone....saved the angst for his next match with a top guy like Nadal. The kid's going to be verry, very good. Already is. Maybe he wanted to put a little doubt in Nadal's head (and others). What a Djoke!

[couldn't resist]

SB
06-07-2006, 06:49 PM
...I think you have to hit behind Nadal rather than hit to the open court. Nadal baits his opponent to hit to the open ourt but he chases it down and rips it back.

Soooooo true -- I have been saying this for months. Why can't the pros figure it out? What's so hard about it?

Gemini
06-07-2006, 06:58 PM
I think Djokovic definitely has the potential to do a lot of damage on tour including beating Nadal. Before retiring, there was only one break of serve in each set. Djokovic lacks the necessary consistency and pyschological maturity that Nadal currently has. Nadal is amazingly mature for a player that's just 20. It's a testament to his commitment to and focus on being the best.

slice bh compliment
06-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Soooooo true -- I have been saying this for months. Why can't the pros figure it out? What's so hard about it?

Hhhhyeah!
Duh, Rochey. Get yer head out of yer a$s, Lundgren. All you tour coaches need to simmer dahn now...and take a one minute clinic from Wondertoy and SB. ASAP.

sandiegotennisboy
06-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Djokovic=Chokinbeeyotch

nuff said. he is a poor man's lleyton hewitt. nothing special. just another baghdatis story. yawn.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-07-2006, 09:16 PM
His comments are not a reflection of what happened out there. He's very arrogant and unacknowleding of Nadal's clear superiority over him.

However, all athletes to one extent or another can find themselves in denial. I see it as a common coping mechanism for top athletes.

ShooterMcMarco
06-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I hope they play against each other again and Nadal crushes him

monologuist
06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I think it is not uncommon for attacking player to feel like they are "in control" of matches when they play counterpunchers...they are after all the ones that are taking most of the risks, so in that regard, they ARE the more pro-active of the two players....so in a way they are in more control of the outcome of the match b/c it is their decisions to attack that are the turning points of each point, for better or worse. Problem is that Nadal is not really a true counterpuncher like a Monfils or Hewitt...he is something else. Perhaps for a player who is facing him for the first time, they might be lulled into believing that they are controlling the match. Given how many tennis fans seemed to (and still do) think that Nadal is nothing more than a glorified pusher, I think it's safe to say it probably wasn't the first time this deception occurred. Come to think of it, not entirely dissimilar to the way I think I am controlling matches that I lose to really really good recreational pushers (Just do a search for "pusher" on the Tips forum...you will find a littany of posts that sound a lot like Djokovic's press conference)

Viper
06-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I know how to beat every ATP player, but have I? no. Bluffing is a kewl thing to do.

SB
06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Hhhhyeah!
Duh, Rochey. Get yer head out of yer a$s, Lundgren. All you tour coaches need to simmer dahn now...and take a one minute clinic from Wondertoy and SB. ASAP.

Exactly!! ;-)

crosscourt
06-08-2006, 01:18 AM
I like Djokovic a lot and pretty much agree with Monolinguist about his game.

Yesterday, what seemed to let him down was execution on his backhand. If he is going to beat Nadal next year he needs to get stronger and improve his backhand. If he does that I can see him winning some big games.

HyperHorse
06-08-2006, 01:26 AM
I like this kid.. he's got guts...
goes for his shots... i think he'll definitely be one to challenge Federer in a couple of years... he needs to say something interesting controversial to keep his spirits up...
and you forget he's yugoslavian, these guys dont mind a good fight...
oh and he wrote the same thing on his shoes as Nadal did? very very funny...

urban
06-08-2006, 01:44 AM
To me it looked, that Nadal was pretty much cruising before Dojkovic started to get injured. Nadal got upset, because he didn't knew, whether the opponent was playing possum. This happens quite often. Of course, Nadal is beatable, nobody is unbeatable. Federer is beatable, too. Lost 3 important finals this year already, if i am right.

Aykhan Mammadov
06-08-2006, 11:23 AM
To post 1.

He is not Djokovic, it is why he is "Joke"vic".

stoneagle
06-08-2006, 12:07 PM
is anyone annoyed by djokovic's serving? those endless bouncing of the drive me mad, i am suprised that the umpire did not give him warning, what a liberty!

i noticed those long bouncing too, it annoys me alot. i felt like
the reciever and i had to wait too long for him to serve
the ball. i felt like he was taking my concentration away.

i heard dick enberg counting his ball bounces 1,2,3,all the
way up to 18 bounces. i think that will put the reciever into
sleep.

tlm
06-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Anyone can be beat,but jokodick sure isnt going to beat nadal what an *******.He actually thinks he can beat nadal on clay,he is dreaming.

Its always the same bs,he had more winners,he broke him twice,what do they give you for that?You lose 2 straight sets+ you talk **** that you were going to win.

Ivanišević
06-09-2006, 12:48 AM
I like this kid.. he's got guts...
goes for his shots... i think he'll definitely be one to challenge Federer in a couple of years... he needs to say something interesting controversial to keep his spirits up...
and you forget he's yugoslavian, these guys dont mind a good fight...
oh and he wrote the same thing on his shoes as Nadal did? very very funny...
yugoslavia dosn't exist for a long time... and, what other "yugoslavian" player do u know?

pound cat
06-09-2006, 03:24 AM
yugoslavia dosn't exist for a long time... and, what other "yugoslavian" player do u know?

I had the idea he's from Montenegro.

JCo872
06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Djokovic is not being delusional...he's right....Nadal is not unbeatable...and he's right, he has the tools to beat him if he plays to his considerable potential. However his conditioning and strength are not nearly at the point at which he can pose any sort of consistent threat against the likes of Nadal. Djokovic still has the body of a teenager...if he trains hard, builds his endurance, puts some meat on his scrawny frame, and gets some more quality wins under his belt to fortify his confidence, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be able to be Nadal.

His whining character and questionable mental toughness on the other hand could prove to be insurmountable obstacles to his ever reaching his potential....it's too early to tell...he has had some impressive results in just a season and a half on the tour...but it's hard to judge before players become familiar with his game and figure out how to play his weaknesses...which doesn't start to happen until more like season three, assuming he progresses and keeps himself afloat in top tournaments. From watching him play, his weaknesses are not all that obvious to me; he has a lethal forehand, a very solid backhand (better than Nadal's), a powerful serve, is comfortable operating out of the backcourt, moves well for a tall lanky guy, has excellent court sense, uses angles well, can change pace and rhythm in rallies, has good instincts and hands at the net, is comfortable in the forecourt, and plays a game that is essentially attacking but isn't forced. Pretty well-rounded game really for a guy his age...anyone disagree?

Great post. I totally agree. The guy is awesome. To take out Haas and Gonzalez in a grand slam is unbelievable. And I think he is starting to realize he deserves to be ranked at the top of the game.

On the same note, I agree with the mental toughness comment. I don't know if you guys remember, but in last year's US Open he took this enormously long time out, looked like he was going to have to retire, then comes out and whoops up on his opponent. I don't know if it was gamesmanship or what, but I was kind of ****ed at him for that. And the comments about Nadal are true and not true. Yes Nadal is beatable. But so is Federer. It's just that the odds of winning 3 out of 5 sets over either one of those guys is pretty low.

I do love his game though. Very aggressive.

JCo872
06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=fastdunn]I'll get flamed from Federer fans for this: it actually sounded
like Federer.

Hey, don't let those posting terrorists (the so called "fans" of the weeping wuss) keep you from expressing your viewpoint. :D

I agree with your statement, - Federer can say something like that simply because he HAS beaten Nadal.
BTW, Nadal himself is the last guy to dispute that he's beatable.
:mrgreen:

Yes, Nadal is extremely humble. I like him a lot for that. An interviewer asked him once if he thought he was going to win the French easily. He said "Of course. All I have to worry about it is...Federer, Coria, Gonzalez, Ferrero, Nalbandian...". It was a good answer.