PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Poly on my dropweight .... no thanks!!!

thatballwas_IN
07-06-2004, 06:38 AM
So.... I tried stringing up some Kirschbaum Touch Turbo mains in a hybrid...

First, I usually try to tension the 2 mains at the same time.... Virtually impossible with this poly. The strings are so stiff, they did not want to bend around the tension head, they kept flying off. And as I say below tensioning 1 string seemed to be very difficult, 2 strings was impossible.

The worst part was trying to get my dropweight anywhere near level. Since there was no elongation of the strings, my dropweight would stop halfway and it was not because it was overtensioned. The string just refused to be tensioned it seemed like. So I had to gently force the dropweight down by applying pressure to the weight. I could see the letters on the string elongate as I did this. I know this can't be right, but it was the only way this string was going to be tensioned. I had to tighten my clamps to the max because so much stress was being put on them using this method.

Anyway, I suppose it finally was finished ok... but i have no idea what poundage the strings ended up at... and I realized that I enjoy the process of a more elastic string stretching as it is being tensioned, and then retensioning after the stretching has occured. I guess it makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.... but with poly there was definitely no joy. I cursed it several times!

If there are tips on stringing poly on a dropweight, I would like to hear them... but unless it plays like spun gold, I will probably be getting rid of my extra sets of poly.

My crosses with Gosen JC went much better!

TennsDog
07-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, don't go expecting great results from that string job. You pushed the dropweight down, that is the number one thing never to do, ever. I have done several poly jobs on my drop weight and I just have to give the tension head plenty of slack before wrapping the string around. You're right, there is no stretch, really, at all. Just give it a LOT of slack...never push it down. That is why you will not get good results. Poly strings are usually strung lower than syn gut because they are so stiff, but you strung it probably very tight which will feel very dead and powerless, not to mention you may get arm pains. I also don't suggest trying to tension two strings at once, that will not give consistant results in the stringbed or from stringing to stringing. If you have another set, try it again strung properly. I actually prefer stringing poly strings on my dropweight over, say, Prince Syn Gut because it is too stretchy and I have to really pull the string tight on my own before I can tension it so that I only have to tension once. It is easier to be exact with a poly string. Just remember, any time the weight doesn't go all the way down, keep the spot where the string it wrapped around, pull the weight back up, and give it a little more slack. I usually start with adding about 1/4 inch until I find the range needed to get it to drop level first time. And NEVER EVER push the weight down even a little bit.

Brent Pederson
07-06-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm guessing those mains are at about 90 lbs right now...

borisboris
07-06-2004, 01:09 PM
:o I love TT - just began string on 25 yr old drop weight w/ no clutch. You should prestretch the Poly = helps alot for stringing. The tension head will drop = maybe not perfectly @ 90 degres but close enought that it won't matter. I don't mind the TT that much = not in my top 5 strings to string worst = Gosen Bio-Gut Poly.

thatballwas_IN
07-06-2004, 01:56 PM
I agree that pushing on the tension rod is bad... however, no matter how far I lowered the tension from 56 to 53 to 50 the tension never seemed to adjust.
I suppose I will just have to try again sometime.
The end result, the strings do not seem overly tight, but i have not hit with it yet. Maybe I have found my perfect tension.. 90+ lbs!!!

bsandy
07-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Give it a lot of slack, and be patient !!!

. . . Bud

thatballwas_IN
07-08-2004, 07:42 PM
well, i played with my newly strung PC600 today with the Kircshbaum Touch Turbo. It played just fine and somehow the string job was adequate. It felt like it was @55lbs, but next time I will leave more slack so I dont put so much stress on my frame and the string.
I was able to wallop some winners especially on service returns, but my "touch" dropshots were all a bit off.
Anyway, I liked the strings and didn't have to adjust my strings once!!!! I was bored between points! :P

kreative
07-09-2004, 01:37 AM
not a good idea to force the dropweight head down. just give the string more slack.

a verrry large duck
07-09-2004, 02:57 PM
I got a drop weight with a ratcheting head, I'd upgrade to that. That way you do a pull and slight lift and you're done with that string no matter what kind it is. It would be like a car without air conditioning for me if I didn't have that.

Gaines Hillix
07-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Even with a ratcheting tension head, stringing poly on a drop weight requires leaving some slack in the string between the outside of the frame and the tension head AFTER the string is wrapped around the head. Do not pull the string tight by hand and then wrap it around the head and expect it to stretch enough to allow the arm to drop. It ain't gonna happen! And under NO circumstances push down on the arm to make it level!!

Steve Huff
07-10-2004, 11:18 AM
The last guy that wrote on these boards saying he pushed the dropweight bar down was under the title "Why do my frames keep breaking when I push the dropweight down to horizontal".

thatballwas_IN
07-10-2004, 04:16 PM
i have learned my poly lesson.. thanks fellas!!