PDA

View Full Version : Everyone here seems to not even mention Ljubicic

Steven87
06-07-2006, 02:09 PM
When he could possibly take away Nadal? Probly be one of the biggest upsets in FO. I think he could, just look at the match he had today. Just buried the guy

Moose Malloy
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes, just buried the world #93.

WayneCM
06-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Ljubo out in straights r at a push 4.... He get an exceptionally easy draw...

caesar66
06-07-2006, 02:17 PM
The score would reflect said burial, but his play was rather shoddy throughout the match. I really think if he'd have faced someone with a higher ranking than Bennetau he might have been in real trouble, maybe even put out. I think he's had tough, close matches with Nadal before, so if the competitive, focused but relaxed Ljubicic shows up it could be close. You're right that it would be a huge upset, but I really see no way around Nadal winning it. Trust me, I'd rather Ljubicic win big time, but if he plays like he did today he will be stopped by Nadal in three, maybe four.

splink779
06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Ljubicic's ONLY weapon against Nadal is his serve. Other than that, he will have to go for broke a lot to stand a chance. If Ljubicic cannot beat Nadal on an indoor court while leading two sets to love, what makes you think he stands a chance on Nadal's turf? I predict Nadal will crush Ljubicic, straight sets.

jackson vile
06-07-2006, 02:51 PM
When he could possibly take away Nadal? Probly be one of the biggest upsets in FO. I think he could, just look at the match he had today. Just buried the guy

You are right, all the players that could take out Roger or Nadal all were in Nadals draw, strange that:rolleyes:

Ljubicic will test Nadal to the highest degree, making Nadal extremely ready and preped to play Roger, as Lju plays a simular game as Roger but more Andy like.

But IMO Lju would fold has he has done before when playing Roger

Viper
06-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Because this is how I see the ATP

01. Roger Federer
02 Rafael Nadal
-------------------
1. David Nalbandian
2. Ivan Ljubicic
3. Andy Roddick
so on and so forth

Roger and Nadal are just on a completely different level of play.

str33t
06-07-2006, 02:58 PM
well now he's at least in the semis

Chadwixx
06-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Ljubo out in straights r at a push 4.... He get an exceptionally easy draw...

Its called the roddick quarter

I personally wish they would have put the seeds in the right places. Nalbandian vs nadal would of been really good. Lube vs fed would of been nice as well on the slow clay.

caesar66
06-07-2006, 03:09 PM
You are right, all the players that could take out Roger or Nadal all were in Nadals draw, strange that:rolleyes:

Ljubicic will test Nadal to the highest degree, making Nadal extremely ready and preped to play Roger, as Lju plays a simular game as Roger but more Andy like.

But IMO Lju would fold has he has done before when playing Roger

Interesting...only real similarity I see to Roger's game is a one handed backhand...To Roddick, however, I guess I could see a resemblance in game style, as both rely on a big serve, but have only one groundstroke that could be called a "weapon" (Roddick's forehand, Ljubicic's forehand), with the other wing being a weakness in their game. I dont know if a game that is "sim[B]i[B]lar as Roger but more Andy like" is really possible at all, as Roger and Andy have pretty different games.

And about all the players who could test Roger being in Nadal's draw, who exactly do you mean? Nadal had no one in his draw that really provides trouble for Roger, besides Nadal himself. Federer had potential to meet Gasquet, Nalbandian, Davydenko, and did meet Berdych, all players who either have beaten Federer or have given him tough matches. Massu woke up in his and Fed's match and made it a tough one. Just because Federer has cruised through so far does not mean his draw was easy and Nadal's hard.

gts072
06-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Ljubi will be buried himself by Nadal, just watch and see. And no, he will never beat him (Nadal) on his best surface.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Ljubicic is:

1)Not a clay courter, his least favorite surface by far. Remember that he made his first slam semi on it.

2)Choked his last match away vs Nadal, giving up a 2-sets-to-0 lead and a ton of chances in the 5th set on indoor surface, which favors Ljubicic in the matchup.

3)Is not usually a grand slam performer, as not reaching a quarterfinal before this year shows, although with a quarter and semi of the first two slams of this year, that might be changing

AceYouVeryMuch
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Ljubicic has yet to play a ranked player at RO.

dewey2110
06-07-2006, 03:45 PM
he's got great serve, I like his kickers a lot, but that won't be enough to put away Nadal :D

splink779
06-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Ljubicic's weapon is definitely not his forehand. If anything besides his serve its his backhand. But on clay his game isn't going to be enough. He's just benefitted from a dream draw. He'll wake up against Nadal. But don't worry people, he will definitely get a ton of points at wimbledon I think.

Mikael
06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Ljubicic's draw so far looks like it's some challenger tournament in Mexico LOL
Berlocq, Hernandez, Monaco, Ramirez Hidalgo, Benneteau.

Respective rankings: 82, 131, 103, 79, 95

That's just got to be the easiest draw ever to slam semifinals.

jings
06-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Lube's weapons are serve and backhand. He gets his weight transfer mucked up on the forehand sometimes, this is where his errors come from (as against forced errors). He can and does play all court too - which is where you might see some similarity to Fed. Whilst his best results have been on faster courts, he actually grew up on clay and likes the stuff, enjoys point construction. He also fancies his fitness and is well up for a roll in the dirt with the Spaniard. I think this will be a very interesting match up. Notably the big spin into the r/h "weak" backhand won't be so much of a play for Nadal in this one. Good match up all round, potential to be a helluva scrap. Both semis look destined for 4 sets at least in my view. Next 4 days in the mens side is going to be a slug-fest, real last man standing stuff.

Feņa14
06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
I was thinking, what hasn't Nadal had to play much against on his wonderful run?

A big server! All the players that he plays serve decent but certainly not in Ljubicic's league. Nadals crosscourt forehands also goes into another of Ljubicic's strenghts in the backhand.

Ljubicic poses questions that Nadal hasn't had to face on a claycourt before. Certainly don't under estimate him for this match by any means.

jackson vile
06-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I was thinking, what hasn't Nadal had to play much against on his wonderful run?

A big server! All the players that he plays serve decent but certainly not in Ljubicic's league. Nadals crosscourt forehands also goes into another of Ljubicic's strenghts in the backhand.

Ljubicic poses questions that Nadal hasn't had to face on a claycourt before. Certainly don't under estimate him for this match by any means.

there is only one other person that serves as fast as Ljub, Andy Rodick so that goes with out saying, Nadal faced the most feirce competition in the FO.

All 1hbh have the same issues so that is not a problem.

Feņa14
06-07-2006, 04:58 PM
there is only one other person that serves as fast as Ljub, Andy Rodick so that goes with out saying, Nadal faced the most feirce competition in the FO.

All 1hbh have the same issues so that is not a problem.

Yep I'm going to interested to see how he deals with a big serve, especially as Ljubicic can back it up fairly well with a decent all court game. He can finish points of at the net and uses slice a lot more than most clay court players that Nadal has encountered in the past.

Ljubicic is also very used to taking risks on opponents serves as he is so used to holding his own so he could cause a few problems that way too.

I'm sure Nadal was wanting Benneteau to upset Ljubicic today, Nadal will certainly need to play a consistent level to not giving Ljubicic a sniff.

I feel Ljubicic's style matches up quiet well to Nadal, all of their previous matches have gone the distance and although they were all on hard i'm sure Nadal knows he is going to be in a fight.

BabolatFan
06-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah I'd be one good and fun semi, I hope, to watch. I hope that Lub's game doesn't bomb Friday. Lub's also #2 ace leader at RG rightnow. As much as I like Lubi to oust Nadal, there's nothing more spectacular and fantastic than watch Federer vs. Nadal in the finals. I look forward to it and Roger will make a remarkable history to claim RG slam. Then he will become one of the true classics like Agassi who has won all slams...oh also the last top hardcourt player to win the French Open back in 1999.

siber222000
06-07-2006, 07:17 PM
ljubicic cannot overcome nadal rally... so he have to try to get many aces he can

superman1
06-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Ljubicic has a shot. If he serves out of his mind, and follows those serves with volleys or with big forehands, he could take out Nadal and give Federer an easy ticket to the title.

arosen
06-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Ivan has a great game and he believes in it, too. However, he looked really awkward chasing dropshots, and Rafa will give him plenty of those. Bottomline: Ivan MUST serve exceptionally well to have any kind of shot at upsetting Rafa. Even then, it's nearly impossible.

Moose Malloy
06-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Respective rankings: 82, 131, 103, 79, 95

That's just got to be the easiest draw ever to slam semifinals.

Hmm, now I'm curious. Anyone know of any other easier draws to a slam semi?

Fischer76
06-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Ljubicic can surely beat Nadal if he's "on" but I'd really hate that, as it would be sure that Federer would win the FO. At least with Nadal-Federer in the finals, we would all be treated with a very interesting match. With Ljub-Federer finals, we might as well be watching some golf match.

Matthew
06-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Ljubicic can't stay consistent enough throughout the match to stay with Nadal. Rafa is going to break him down eventually, the first set may be close but after that its gunna go something like 2 and 2.

tangerine
06-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Perhaps because Ljubicic's run at RG this year is a complete fluke thanks to one of the weakest draws any player has received in quite a while.

Eviscerator
06-08-2006, 10:04 AM
People will be talking about him much more if he knocks off Nadal.

He is one of the few players right now that can beat either Nadal or Federer. However his odds to beat Nadal on slow clay are not that good.

inyourface
06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
federerhoogenbandfan:it is not true that Ljubicic not like the clay , he say that he like a lot,more, he like to play vs nadal, and I think that he have the game to win,very dificult but he can

LeftyServe
06-08-2006, 11:57 AM
The big serve isn't going to make a difference unless it's got pinpoint accuracy. Federer's serve with his uncanny placement is a more dangerous clay court weapon than Ljubicic's. And if his serve is neutralized by the clay, Ljubicic is going to be defending a lot of break points.

tonysk83
06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
As much as I like Ljubicic he just is slow and clay isn't his surface. He has gotten really lucky to get this far and his draw has been far easier then easy. I think if Ljubicic can control the game he has a chance. He needs to run Nadal, if Nadal starts running him, he is finished, just because he is pretty slow. In his last match there was an easy drop shot to get to and he didn't even have a chance. Plus he doesn't slide very good.

I would love to see him win though.

monologuist
06-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Ljubicic has proven time and time again that he does not have the mental toughness to win on the ATP's biggest stages. Last year's loss to Nadal in Madrid as well as this year's loss to Baghdatis at the AO are perfect examples of the kind of chokejob that has become the norm rather than the exception for him in big time matches. It is possible that he could turn the corner one of these days, but it's rare for players to break through mentally like that so late in their careers.

Somehow, in Davis Cup play, he does not seem to get tight. It's difficult to say why this is...but over the last couple of years he has risen to the occasion time and time again in these settings. Perhaps the pressure of earning money is what gets to him?

tennis life
06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Ljubicic beating nadal would be a huge upset, but i could see it happening. If he runs him around and plays agressive then i will give him a chance, but if he gets caught in those long Nadal favoring rallies then i give him 3 sets

rooski
06-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I'd like to see Lubi take a lot of his first serves right at Nadal's body. Should be worth a few extra cheap points :)