PDA

View Full Version : Murray gets to hit with Agassi

BaseLineBash
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2006260413,00.html
Murray, 19, said: “It was great to play against Andre. He hits the ball so hard and it was a real test to face him.”
Oh, and apparently Andre is using the LM instinct for practice.

ShcMad
06-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Agassi using LM Instinct...interesting! I know he used it for a claycourt season sometime in the past. I don't think it's a paintjob either since the Liquidmetal line got replaced by the Flexpoint line. But, after all, it was a practice session with Murray, so who knows? Perhaps he's just experimenting with different racquets for the heck of it.

BaseLineBash
06-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Now that I think about it, it's more than likely it's the LM Instinct Tour XL because of the weight and extra length(with clay and grass, the little extra wouldn't hurt). We know from the '05 clay season he had lead tape in the head...possibly to adjust the head-lightness since stock is 10 points.

superman1
06-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Agassi looks huge. While everyone else has been grinding it out in the dirt, I think he's been in the gym.

ShcMad
06-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Is he also sporting a mean-looking goatee?

BabolatFan
06-07-2006, 07:56 PM
very cool to see Andre in good shape.

BaseLineBash
06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Is he also sporting a mean-looking goatee?
Kinda looks like it.

ACE of Hearts
06-07-2006, 08:06 PM
This will probably be Andre's last go around.I hope he makes a run in wimbledon.

superman1
06-07-2006, 08:48 PM
I wonder if it will be his last. To me it seems that as long as his back doesn't collapse on him, he is going to continue to play. He's fitter and stronger than most of the players so he sees no reason why he should retire. I hope he goes out with a bang, though, and that he doesn't leave tennis because he has another first round French Open-type experience that leaves him crippled.

OrangeOne
06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
It's also good to see that the 'old guard' are still hitting this way with the younger players. I remember that Lendl reportedly invited Sampras (I'm pretty sure, anyways) for a hitting session / training week 'back in the day'.

As for Andre at wimbledon - i too hope he goes as far as possible!

hoosierbr
06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Bill Scanlon talks about the week Sampras spent at Lendl's house and all the "torture" Ivan put the young Pete through. It's incredible how hard Lendl worked 15 - 20 years ago and it's still pretty incredible even by today's standards, although a lot of his regimen is pretty commonplace these days. Seems unfortunate that as hard as Lendl worked he was still forced to quit by back problems. But it goes to show how much abuse the body takes over the years. Andre has had one of the best, if not the best, physical trainer in Gil Reyes for more than 15 years and yet no matter how fit he is the back is still his undoing these days.

All the talk about this being Agassi's last such and such goes on every year and every year he does something that defies all expectations and comes back for more. My guess is that if he can find a balance of being able to play as much as possible and still keep the back in check he'll keep going. Nothing I've read, seen or heard indicates he's ready to hang it up and it seems his injury troubles may even serve as motivation to get back on the court. It's obvious he wants to win one more Slam before he quits. He came awful close last year. Maybe he'll find magic in London again.

OrangeOne
06-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Bill Scanlon talks about the week Sampras spent at Lendl's house and all the "torture" Ivan put the young Pete through. It's incredible how hard Lendl worked 15 - 20 years ago and it's still pretty incredible even by today's standards, although a lot of his regimen is pretty commonplace these days.

Thanks for confirming that, hoosierbr, I was sure I'd remembered it correctly that a young Sampras did spend a week at the Lendl house.

It's fantastic to compare the similarities in the approach to the game of Lendl, Sampras, the latter-years Agassi and Federer. Sure - different styles, but similar professionalism, approach and focus. It seems that each of them recognise that to play the game at the highest of high levels, well, there's just a way to do things...

Seems unfortunate that as hard as Lendl worked he was still forced to quit by back problems.

Yeah true, but he didn't 'leave anything on the court' though - gave it his absolute all for over a decade, I bet he doesn't have too many regrets. There's a lot to learn in that approach for anyone playing seriously - especially any up & coming juniors. The racquet balance & the shoe colour & the cheering yourself on - all mean nothing without hours & hours of training & practice.

RadekStepanekTheKing
06-08-2006, 12:55 AM
thanx for the article!

J-man
06-08-2006, 03:38 AM
Agassi using LM Instinct...interesting! I know he used it for a claycourt season sometime in the past. I don't think it's a paintjob either since the Liquidmetal line got replaced by the Flexpoint line. But, after all, it was a practice session with Murray, so who knows? Perhaps he's just experimenting with different racquets for the heck of it.He used the INstict last years FO where he retired against Jarrko Niemien.

Brettolius
06-08-2006, 04:23 AM
The best part of the Sampras staying at Lendl's for a week story is the fact that Lendl said Pete didn't have what it takes to make it in the pro's. Something about he didn't have the heart. Whoooops!

guernica1
06-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Andre is looking toned, but about the same as usual I think. Still though, being big or cut in the upper body won't help him with his sciatica which is what I worry will do him in by the time the summer hardcourts are wrapping up heading into the US Open.

hoosierbr
06-08-2006, 11:07 AM
He used the INstict last years FO where he retired against Jarrko Niemien.

HE DID NOT RETIRE AGAINST NIEMINEN. He should have b/c he couldn't move in the last two sets but he wanted to give his opponent a clean win. A lesson that JHH, Andy Roddick, Djokovic and others should have taken.

Jonas
06-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Will someone post the pic of AA from the article in this thread? My filter at work won't let me view it (for some reason)??
thanks a lot,