PDA

View Full Version : Spoiled by my stringing machine

Brad Smith
07-06-2004, 09:33 AM
I've been stringing my own frames (PC 600) for a little over a year now, and I rarely play with a string job longer than 6-8 hours. I never break strings any more because I always cut them out long before then. I just love the first couple hours of a fresh string job. Back when I was paying someone else to string them, I wasn't anywhere as picky as I am now. I'd use the same strings for weeks or months before breaking them or cutting them out.

So my question is -- am I crazy or not? Has the ability to restring whenever I want opened up my eyes to the fact that strings lose their tension/playability far too quickly, or has it turned me into an egotistical perfectionist who thinks a fresh string job will solve all of my problems?

rich s
07-06-2004, 10:00 AM
---

rich s
07-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Other than having a stringing business, why else would you have a stringing machine?

stevens
07-06-2004, 10:21 AM
:D To answer your question = yes to both. I just started w/ my stringer 2 months ago and prior my poly would go dead within 6-8 sets and I'd still play with it until it broke. But now I always have fresh strings for tourney's or league matches. I use the cheaper strings for practice and the premium for play. Having your own stringer is the best way to go for someone playing 2 + times a week. You can experiment on a braod scale to suit your game.

David Pavlich
07-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Na...you're not egotistical. I would say you answered your own question when you mention that you like a fresh stringbed. I have a lot of customers that get their frames done because they enjoy the great feeling of a fresh stringbed.

Besides, as many racquets as I string, I still enjoy the process. Good stringers tend to be that way. I know of at least one other stringer that posts now and then that either does or used to reload his own ammunition, which I used to do. It's a process very similar in nature to stringing. If it's done correctly the results can be very rewarding. If not, well...

David

Proud Pusher
07-06-2004, 12:54 PM
I've been stringing for about 3 years now, and like you I string often, probably on average once a month. I enjoy experimenting with various strings and tensions and thoroughly enjoy stringing. My only concern is the stress put on my frames from all those stringings, and wonder how long they will perform well at this rate?

Anyone out there know what kind of life expectancy to expect out of a frame being strung every month? I have my Volkl V-1s three years now and haven't noticed any difference.

bigserving
07-06-2004, 02:06 PM
I feel ya Brad. One of the things that I learned is that fresh strings play better that old ones. At least nylon strings anyway.

When I want fresh strings, I string fresh strings.

gregraven
07-07-2004, 06:20 PM
(snip) I rarely play with a string job longer than 6-8 hours. I never break strings any more because I always cut them out long before then. I just love the first couple hours of a fresh string job. Back when I was paying someone else to string them, I wasn't anywhere as picky as I am now. I'd use the same strings for weeks or months before breaking them or cutting them out.

So my question is -- am I crazy or not? (snip)

I think that many synthetic strings go dead long before they break, and therefore long before they are normally replaced. If you like your strings, like the feel of them when new, and have the time and money to restring whenever you want, I don't see a problem.

Stinkdyr
07-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Welcome Brad, you have discovered the nirvana of owning your own machine. Indeed, a fresh poly job feels far superior to a 3 months old job. When in doubt, cut em out!

a verrry large duck
07-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah cut them out. I am similar to you except I don't really enjoy stringing. I only do it because it makes me play so much better with nice, fresh, resilient strings.

Proud Pusher
07-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Can someone tell me how many stringings a racquet will take before there is a noticable difference in playability???? I have my frames about 3 years and string about once a month. Can I expect to get another 2 years out of them?? Thanks, Ken

TennsDog
07-12-2004, 12:26 PM
I have heard and personally been told that rackets should be replaced about every 2-3 years between stringing and hitting balls, especially if you are a hard hitter. I haven't had a racket for more than a year for about 5 years, so I don't really know when they tend to go dead, I just know they do. I don't think you will get 2 more years out of your rackets, but if you don't notice a difference or a slump in your game, then no need to buy new rackets.

fastdunn
07-12-2004, 05:02 PM
I wish I could do a new string job for every 5-10 hours.
I just could not find time for those string jobs.
There is no string that maintain playability of 1st 5 hour or so.
What I compromised is to find strings that maintain tension
reasonably well and limit myself to about 2 string jobs per month (I play about 40 hours per month).
That I can afford, time-wise....