PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic's ball-bouncing: most bizarre thing I've seen

ferrari_827
06-08-2006, 05:33 AM
I was watching Djokovic bounce the ball before serving 10, 13, up to 18 times, and thought this is the strangest thing I've ever seen. There's no fixed number of bounces, anything from 7 to 18.

At one point, I thought he was going to bounce the ball forever, but it stopped at 18.

Apart from that, Djokovic is a *very* talented player and a joy to watch.

Return_Ace
06-08-2006, 05:39 AM
i think i read somewhere that Jelena Dokic bounces the ball like 8 times before each serve... just a superstition thing.

skip1969
06-08-2006, 05:47 AM
if that's the most bizarre thing you've ever seen, then you are a very lucky man, indeed!

does anyone remember that lendl guy? he had a few little ticks before he served.

Feņa14
06-08-2006, 05:51 AM
I was watching Djokovic bounce the ball before serving 10, 13, up to 18 times, and thought this is the strangest thing I've ever seen. There's no fixed number of bounces, anything from 7 to 18.

At one point, I thought he was going to bounce the ball forever, but it stopped at 18.

Apart from that, Djokovic is a *very* talented player and a joy to watch.

Yes it is a bit unusual and does seem to take forever, it reminds me of Sergio Garcia and his constant re-gripping before taking his shot. Sergio I seem to rememeber re-gripped nearly 40 times before hitting around about a 7 iron.

The more nervous he got the more he did it, I don't see this as the case with Djokovic though as it's just totally random as you say. No real correlation between the situation and the number of bounces.

I suppose it's no different to Nadal takes ages between points like he has been doing alot of recently ;)

AndrewD
06-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Wasn't there another player in the past who was famous for their pre-serve routine as regards bouncing of the ball? Can't remember if it was Raul Ramirez but I do recall opponents saying that waiting for him to serve was a form of torture. Possibly a dozen bounces but nowhere near the 18 for Djokovic. How in the world does he manage to do all of that in the 25 second limit?

MagicMT
06-08-2006, 08:10 AM
although incredibly annoying, i think it might be a good strategy. think about it, you're across the net waiting for his serve and you're used to waiting for him to bounce the ball around 15 times. what if on the next serve he only bounces it once, then bam! ace! he could mix up the bouncing of the ball.

has there ever been any player who did not bounce the ball at all before serving? just walked up to the line and served?

croatian sensation
06-08-2006, 08:20 AM
i think i read somewhere that Jelena Dokic bounces the ball like 8 times before each serve... just a superstition thing.

I noticed his ball bouncing a long time ago..at first I also thought that it's a fixed number, a superstition thing..and then after counting it a few times, like Ferrari I realised as well that it has no pattern.
It is kinda annoying..but if it helps him concentrate..well I'm always for ball bouncing over butt-picking, that's for sure ;)

Guevin
06-08-2006, 09:59 AM
has there ever been any player who did not bounce the ball at all before serving? just walked up to the line and served?

Good question. Anyone know?

Ripper
06-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Good question. Anyone know?

Me! :mrgreen: I hardly ever bounce the ball before serving.

Anyway, back to the pros, I think Djokovic bounces the ball until his mind is free of all thoughts; sometimes it takes more times than other. Man, as long as he doesn't take more time than he, legally, is supposed to, I don't have a problem with this (not that i play him that often :rolleyes: )

Colpo
06-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Two words: Mark Dickson. He was the Michael Jordan of pre-serve ball bouncers. Another quirk about Dickson: he was an American, from Florida I think (?), and he played a Volkl Servo Soft on tour, back when you couldn't get a whiff of Volkl on US shores. His deal must've had him playing every single event on German-Austrian soil, plus German semi-pro league events, to get the most bang from having the local "volks" seeing him use this nifty racquet (great frame - heavy and flexible).

sharapovalover
06-08-2006, 10:58 AM
it's insane if i played him i'd get so unpatient that i bet i would end up yelling at him

Jonnyf
06-08-2006, 12:08 PM
during the davis cup the most i saw him bouncing the ball was an incredible 21 times.!!!!!!!!!, i was counting to see it their was a relation between bounces and area of his serve (even though that would be idiotic)

Defcon
06-08-2006, 12:28 PM
He is annoying, but he's not even in the same league as Pierce!

Her prima-donna pre-serve ritual of adjusting her hair, 20s pause, regal look around, readjusting the hair and every article of clothing, then finally getting ready to serve, will never be equalled :)

J-man
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes it is one of the most annoying things I've seen. I don't mind Kiefer's touching of the doubles line, wanting the same ball or stare downs. But bouncing the ball 10+ is just annoying and I think unneeded.

Juggernaut
06-08-2006, 05:19 PM
didn't Boris Becker serve without bouncing the ball?

dmastous
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Sampras bounced onces usually. Just walk up, toe the line, bunce once, rock the front foot back and fire!

dmastous
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
didn't Boris Becker serve without bouncing the ball?
I'd have to dig out some video, but I think he bounced on the first serve, but not on the second.

LowProfile
06-08-2006, 05:53 PM
I think Kiefer's and Conchita Martinez's routine of asking for the same ball before each point is pretty damn annoying.

And I'm not sure if varying your pre-service routine in order to take your opponent by surprise is very sportsmanlike.

~RoWE~
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I hate Djokovic, did any of u guys see the interview after his match against Nadal ? He actually said that he thought he was in control of that match ! And he said that if he wasnt " hurt " he would of won ( he didnt exactly say it in thoose words but that is what he meant ). YA RIGHT ! It would be a miracle for him to even come close to Nadal. Nadal is very talented and he will end up winnin the French Open, the only person he really has to worry about is Roger Federer but Federer isnt no wear near as good as Nadal on clay.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I think most player's pre-serving pattern and rhythm is: bounce- 1, 2, 3, pause into ready position . . . then toss.

My rhythm is only: bounce- 1 & 2, pause into ready position . . . then toss.

It's hard to imagine establishing any sort of beat with the dribbling!