PDA

View Full Version : How many FO titles can Justine rack up?

Down_the_line
06-08-2006, 10:12 AM
It seems that, with the exception of the FO 2004 when she was ill, Justine just dominates in Paris. I was actually wondering if anyone knows which woman has the most FO titles and how many. I'm reasonably sure it's Evert but I don't know how many times she won it. In addition, I wanted to ask if you think Justine can be the next dominant female claycourt player and come close to or beat whoever has the record for the most FO titles.

vkartikv
06-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Not only that, she also seems to dominate Kim in GS events. I wonder how its going to be for Kim given that she always loses to her in a GS and Henin ends up being the champion.

ACE of Hearts
06-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Evert has 7 FO titles.I dont know if Justine can break that.Depends how dominant she will be the next couple of years.She doesnt stay consistent enough.

BabolatFan
06-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't know...but I hope she can repeat it this year.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 10:32 AM
I think she has a chance to tie Evert with 7 French Opens. If she wins tommorow, that will give her 3. She has the work ethic, determination, and talent to compete at the top level until the turn she turns 30, which is another 6 years. She could win 4 of the 6 definitely, at her best nobody can touch her on clay.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Not only that, she also seems to dominate Kim in GS events. I wonder how its going to be for Kim given that she always loses to her in a GS and Henin ends up being the champion.

Kim is spooked by Justine. She looked very dissapointed today, not so much by the loss, but by her performance. She should be, this rolling over and playing dead every time she plays Henin must be hard on her emotionaly.

Down_the_line
06-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I also think if Justine can stay clear of injury, she will be the next woman to win the Grand Slam. The only one I can see beating her at Wimbledon when she's at her best is Venus Williams. This may be surprising to some people but with Venus somewhat regaining her form, she will continue to be a threat at Wimbledon.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I also think if Justine can stay clear of injury, she will be the next woman to win the Grand Slam. The only one I can see beating her at Wimbledon when she's at her best is Venus Williams. This may be surprising to some people but with Venus somewhat regaining her form, she will continue to be a threat at Wimbledon.

I agree with you that Venus is her biggest threat at Wimbledon, and that Justine has the potential to win at any of the slams currently. If she and Venus do play at Wimbledon in the future though I gaurantee you it will be their closest match yet there, it wont be a 6-3, 6-2 or a 6-0 3rd set ever again. She cant do the Grand Slam anyway this year since of what happened in Australia. She will have to wait until next year atleast anyway to try for it.

Moose Malloy
06-08-2006, 10:47 AM
You're dreaming if you think she can win 7 FOs or the Calendar Grand Slam.
She is too fragile physically to play that well for that long period of time. And she will be retired by 30, if not much earlier.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 10:57 AM
She has a much better shot of winning Wimbledon then Nadal will ever have; and she has a much better shot at the French Open record then either Venus or Serena have at Navratilova's Wimbledon record.

Moose Malloy
06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Did I say anything about Nadal or Serena? What do they have to do with Henin?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Well alot of people still talk about Serena or Venus's chances at the Wimbledon record. Considering Venus at age 25 is 6 away from tieing it, and Serena at 24 is 7 away; if there are actually some people that think they have a wing or a prayer of doing that; then I certainly can feel Henin at 24 and only 4 away has a shot at tieing Evert's French Open record.

Also alot of people doubt Henin's chances to win Wimbledon, yet talk about Nadal winning Wimbledon someday. Henin has a much better chance of winning Wimbledon this year then Nadal has of winning it in his entire career.

Moose Malloy
06-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Well alot of people still talk about Serena or Venus's chances at the Wimbledon record. Considering Venus at age 25 is 6 away from tieing it, and Serena at 24 is 7 away;

Who are these people? I've never heard anyone say they could equal Martina.
And I've never heard anyone say Henin could equal Evert(until today)

Condoleezza
06-08-2006, 11:22 AM
I think she has a chance to tie Evert with 7 French Opens. If she wins tommorow, that will give her 3. She has the work ethic, determination, and talent to compete at the top level until the turn she turns 30, which is another 6 years. She could win 4 of the 6 definitely, at her best nobody can touch her on clay.

We often make the mistake to extrapolate from present success into the future for far too long. The odds are extremely against Henin winning 4 more FOs (assuming she wins her third one on Saturday). Most great players suffer from injuries, off-court distractions, unexplicable loss of form, but especially from losing to new opponents. We don't know who the great clay-courters of 2010-12 will be.

Condi

Condoleezza
06-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Well alot of people still talk about Serena or Venus's chances at the Wimbledon record. ....

No-one does that. Not even the most twisted airheads.

Condi

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Well I think she has a shot to do it if she wins tommorow, I dont care what anybody else tells me to think. If she wins tommorow it will probably be out of reach. However 4 French titles in 6 years is possable for her, far from certain, but possable. As for future injuries or illnesses, she has had alot of phsyical problems the last 2 years(not counting this year), yet has managed(if she wins tommorow)to win 3 of the last 4 French Opens, while having physical problems 2 of the past 4years. Just because there are up and comers doesnt mean they will beat her on clay that often, or at the French Open.

While most greats do suffer from new opponents, loss of form, stagnation of their games, opponents figuring out their games; Henin seems different then alot of players in that she seems to have tunnel vision, singular to tennis. She seems like somebody without much life outside of tennis, not multi-faceted interests the way the Williams and Clijsters have for example, which is something one could criticize, but makes her more likely to avoid alot of those pitfalls.

3 years ago I said she would take over as the dominant women on clay atleast, and win some hard court slams(she has won 2 since that day)and everybody thought I was crazy as well. She did both.

Ripper
06-08-2006, 11:38 AM
"How many FO titles can Justine rack up?"

I think you could just erase "FO" out of your question. Considering, she's the best (technically) WTA player, it all goes down to her health and her mind toughness.

vkartikv
06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
The real question is, when is she going to get a 'rack'? :p

Ripper
06-08-2006, 11:47 AM
...if she wins tommorow...

:confused:

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
:confused:

Ok after she wins tommorow.

Ripper
06-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Ok after she wins tommorow.

After she beats who?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
After she beats who?

Whoever she plays in the final if she is in the final. :p

Ripper
06-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Whoever she plays in the final if she is in the final. :p

You do know that, hours ago, she won her semi and that, therefore, she'll be playing in the final (I believe not tomorow, btw)?

Condoleezza
06-08-2006, 12:01 PM

While most greats do suffer from new opponents, loss of form, stagnation of their games, opponents figuring out their games; Henin seems different then alot of players in that she seems to have tunnel vision, singular to tennis. She seems like somebody without much life outside of tennis, not multi-faceted interests the way the Williams and Clijsters have for example, which is something one could criticize, but makes her more likely to avoid alot of those pitfalls.

3 years ago I said she would take over as the dominant women on clay atleast, and win some hard court slams(she has won 2 since that day)and everybody thought I was crazy as well. She did both.

I thought the same as well 3 years ago, many expected a lot from Henin, especially on clay. And she has delivered. But to win FOUR more FOs seems very unlikely. Perhaps a 5 of 10 % chance.

Henin is my favourite player, she is perhaps the most complete player of the 21st century so far. But 7 FOs - no way.

Condi