PDA

View Full Version : The word "Deuce" derives from French; so, why do the French prefer to say "Egalité"?

Ripper
06-08-2006, 11:37 AM
From Wikipedia:

"According to most tennis historians, modern tennis... borrowed both the name and much of the French vocabulary of royal tennis...

Deuce comes from à deux le jeu, meaning "to both is the game" (that is, the two players have equal scores)."

Edit: In case you don't know about Real Tennis ("Real" should be translated into "Royal", but isn't for some reason... maybe, since it existed before, they left it that way to make a statement):

http://www.realtennisonline.com/rto

sureshs
06-08-2006, 11:44 AM
They want to be a more egalatarian country, to contrast with the US.

Ripper
06-08-2006, 11:53 AM

I forgot to say, this is not a "Let's bash the French" thread; I really want to know. However, if that's the answer, well, what can I say? Is it, is that the answer?

Edit: Btw, this should have, probably, been posted somewhere else. KKPD ("Kaptain Karl Police Department"), please feel free to move... Not that you need my permission, I know.

exruda
06-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Deuce comes from à deux le jeu, meaning "to both is the game" (that is, the two players have equal scores)."

I thought it came from an old english word that had had a meaning of "two" when playing cards or something

Ripper
06-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I thought it came from an old english word that had had a meaning of "two" when playing cards or something

Really? If so, someone should consider editing this at Wikipedia?

exruda
06-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Really? If so, someone should consider editing this at Wikipedia?
perhaps, but I myself
1. do not have "proof"
2. am an anti-Wikipedist :)

nickybol
06-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Egalité became very popular after the french revolution, together with fraternité and liberté

sureshs
06-08-2006, 01:38 PM
égalité Noun, feminine (a) equality (of chances, men), equability (of a climate), evenness (of a surface); (Math) identity

French Sports Vocabulary - Vocabulaire de sports
Tennis | Le Tennis

tennis player joueur de tennis
men's singles simple messieurs
men's doubles double messieurs
women's singles simple dames
women's doubles double dames

equipment matériel
tennis ball balle de tennis
court court
net filet
racket raquette

to keep the score tenir le score
advantage in avantage service
advantage out avantage dehors
call décision
deuce égalité
double fault double faute
error, fault, out faute
fifteen quinze
fifteen all quinze-A
forty quarante
game jeu
game point balle de jeu
let filet, let
love zéro
match point balle de match
on the line sur la ligne
point point
thirty trente
tie-breaker jeu décisif

choice of service, sides choix du service, côté
second serve second service
backhand revers
forehand coup droit
to hit frapper
to serve servir
serve service
server serveur
stroke coup
volley volée

golden chicken
06-08-2006, 04:41 PM
From Wikipedia:

"According to most tennis historians, modern tennis... borrowed both the name and much of the French vocabulary of royal tennis...

Deuce comes from ŕ deux le jeu, meaning "to both is the game" (that is, the two players have equal scores)."

Edit: In case you don't know about Real Tennis ("Real" should be translated into "Royal", but isn't for some reason... maybe, since it existed before, they left it that way to make a statement):

http://www.realtennisonline.com/rto

I thought "deuce" referred to the fact that you had to win two points in a row to win. a two (2) in playing cards is "a deuce" so that makes sense.

I thought egalite meant "equal" which represented the tie score at 40-40

you could say 40-all instead of deuce and then egalite would make more sense.

does anyone know if they say "igual" at the masters in Barcelona? what do they say in Rome?

Pomeranian
06-08-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't think there is a particular reason why. Maybe it's just outdated. We don't say "thus", we usually prefer to say "therefore". That's a bad example but you get the idea. Maybe during the time of kings, the upperclass would play tennis and use the word deuce. But after the revolution as nickybol said, it become popular to say "egalite".

diegaa
06-08-2006, 07:02 PM
does anyone know if they say "igual" at the masters in Barcelona?

Almost! First, the masters series is held in Madrid. But there r more than one "spanish speaking" tourney, so it isnt just there.
Anyways, they say "cuarenta iguales" as in 40-all.

nickybol
06-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Barcelona is catalan-speaking, right?

AndrewD
06-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Ripper,
As you said, it is 'derived' from the French so, instead of using a derivative, (what the French would, no doubt, consider a bas-tar-disation of their language) they use a French word. Egalite is a much better choice as it means, among other things, that there is an equal chance for both.

dmastous
06-09-2006, 05:54 AM
][/B]

I forgot to say, this is not a "Let's bash the French" thread; I really want to know. However, if that's the answer, well, what can I say? Is it, is that the answer?
That wasn't a bash the French comment, it was another cheap shot at he US.

Ripper
06-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Ripper,
As you said, it is 'derived' from the French so, instead of using a derivative, (what the French would, no doubt, consider a bas-tar-disation of their language) they use a French word. Egalite is a much better choice as it means, among other things, that there is an equal chance for both.

This makes sense.