PDA

View Full Version : WTA is a joke

Defcon
06-08-2006, 12:26 PM
All this talk of the last 8 slams won by 8 different players and the variety in the game is pure bs. Besides Justine and Hingis, almost everyone else is a mindless 1-dimensional baseline basher mental chokejob waiting to happen.

Most of the talk about the WTA centers around the next leggy blond sensation, whether or not player X will bother to play, the grunt/shriek noise level, the behaviour of their dads, and who can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory the fastest.

I wish someone, anyone else had anything approaching the all court game of JHH, or a mind like Hingis. The depth of the WTA in recent years has been vastly exaggerated. Most of their matches, and not just on clay, are contests to produce the most UE's. To a tennis purist, I doubt more than a few women's matches in a slam are memorable. And they have the nerve to demand equal prize money !!

Yet by all accounts, the WTA is quite popular. Go figure.

vkartikv
06-08-2006, 12:38 PM
The problems for us are:
1. ESPN is run by a bunch of p e r v e r ted buffoons who get off on the shrieks of Sharapova.
2. A large # of viewers tune in only to watch legs and t&a.
3. Women's tennis is thus popular and being shown on tv

shawn1122
06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
The problems for us are:
1. ESPN is run by a bunch of p e r v e r ted buffoons who get off on the shrieks of Sharapova.
2. A large # of viewers tune in only to watch legs and t&a.
3. Women's tennis is thus popular and being shown on tv

Exactly. Honestly which other woman's sport gets at much attention as woman's tennis?

Ripper
06-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't agree with the OP's comments. I think women's tennis is quite a bit different to men's. Men are men. And women are women. That doesn't make women's tennis a joke. Have you seen women's basketball or women's football (soccer)? Is it the same as men's? Of course not. So, just say you prefer men's tennis and don't go disrespecting women's tennis in that way, because you're not being fair.

Viper
06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm staying out of this one

Docalex007
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, and a bad joke at that.

ShcMad
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
I love the fact that ESPN gives a lot of coverage hours of the Grand Slams, but I laugh whenever ESPN commentators say stuff about the depth of the women's field.

The only times I watch women's tennis are when: 1) Sharapova's playing 2) Henin-Hardenne is playing 3) Mauresmo's playing. Henin and Mauresmo certainly have power, variety, and beauty in their strokes, and certainly go to the net whenever they get the chance. Sharapova is just cute and I like the fact that she acts kind of mature for her age (not throwing racquets, cussing, etc).

It seems like WTA is all about baseline-bashing, and who makes the unforced error first. It looks like they have no tactics, but just want to blow the cover off the ball in every single hit. It's just horrible to see the stats after the match, where the unforced errors usually double or triple the number of winners.

I have nothing against women playing tennis. However, the WTA is just painful to watch. On days when men are scheduled to play after the women, I just pray that the womens' match doesn't go beyond 2 sets.

ACE of Hearts
06-08-2006, 12:58 PM
They need a dominant player and some rivalries.

Egalite
06-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Women's tennis gets much smaller numbers paying to watch live matches, but tends to be scheduled on TV in preference to men's.

It's therefore clear that the aficionado prefers men's tennis because the standard is higher, but the casual viewer prefers women's tennis because the contestants look nicer.

The market has spoken. Why don't you all stop whining about how women are worse athletes than men - something called testosterone makes this inevitable.

Ripper
06-08-2006, 01:12 PM
The market has spoken. Why don't you all stop whining about how women are worse athletes than men - something called testosterone makes this inevitable.

True. Hey, Egalite, did you see this?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=103517

Defcon
06-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm not saying that women are worse athletes because they can't play as hard as the men. Hell, that's why they play best of 3. If anything, the men should play best of 5 in all matches.

But the women don't compete as well as the guys. They don't have the tennis skills, and they don't have the right mindset. For the men, you rarely see a blowout unless its someone like Federer. But its quite common to see a top ranked woman beat up on someone with 100+ errors. I just don't find that enjoyable. I like good looking girls as much as the next guy, and when they can really play, like Graf/Hingis, its a real treat.

I also feel if the 'casual viewers' were given a more balanced coverage, the networks would find they're not quite as dumb as they'd like to believe. But it seems they think the only solution to tennis' declining popularity is more t&a. Like always, sex sells.

trampchamp2003
06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
dude thats not even true!! how many matches have you seen venus and serena save match points or come back to win after being down and out, THAT is all mind and heart, of course they make a ton of errors but thats part of their game, davenport is excellent to watch as well. The womens game is personally more enjoyable for me because thats closer to my level and when i watch the men it makes me feel hopeless.

trampchamp2003
06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
and not only that but i think the main reason for the equal prize money issue is that the women generate a much bigger audience than the men. do you think more people were watching the womens 2004 wimbledon final or the mens? in fact I remember reading somewhere that Vee and Serenas DOUBLES match got much higher TV ratings than the mens singles final!

sureshs
06-08-2006, 02:44 PM
and not only that but i think the main reason for the equal prize money issue is that the women generate a much bigger audience than the men. do you think more people were watching the womens 2004 wimbledon final or the mens? in fact I remember reading somewhere that Vee and Serenas DOUBLES match got much higher TV ratings than the mens singles final!

That is why the "women should get less money" threads are so tiring. As Billie Jean said, entertainers are not paid by the hour, they are paid, period.

A CEO may be working less hours than a hotel maid, but he gets paid more. He has more to offer what people value more.

Mr. Blond
06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
ok....here is my only complaint.....espn has a bad habbit of switching away from men's matches to show women's matches and when they do, they have an even more annoying habbit of zomming in on parts of the woman's anatomy on their service stroke....it is so flagrant it is funny. The other day, they switched from the federer match to sharapova, which to me says that espn is a bunch of horny toads, and in their defense I said to the wifey, maybe they just wanted to get her match some air time cuz she is not expected to go far in the tourney. Just as I was giving ESPN the benifit of the doubt, BAM, zoom on sharapova's *****. The wife just laughed at how flagrant it was.

arosen
06-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Just as I was giving ESPN the benifit of the doubt, BAM, zoom on sharapova's *****. The wife just laughed at how flagrant it was.

Sex always sells well. That ***** is worth millions.

RiosTheGenius
06-08-2006, 10:55 PM
women should play best of 5 matches too

tennisadict
06-09-2006, 12:15 AM
forget about doubles