PDA

View Full Version : Klip Legend Natural Gut

Jerry Seinfeld
03-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Anyone with any experience using this string? What were/are your impressions? How does it compare to Babolat, Bow, BDE and Pacific. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Match-Point
03-03-2004, 01:42 PM
You should have listed Bow Brand Championship IMO.

Match-Point
03-03-2004, 01:43 PM
My Bad I didnt see it. Sorry.

kalle
03-04-2004, 12:23 PM
I have tried all the natural guts on the market. If you combine price, playability and durability, I would say that the Klip Legend is the best overall value. If money is no object, than Bab VS is still tops but I would not put the Legend far behind.

bcaz
03-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Hard to go against the Bow, given its wonderful price and performance. I have it (16L) in a hybrid right now and it's great. I'm apprehensive about the remaining piece, tough. Some Bow sets are a few feet shorter than other brands, making a two-piece or a hybrid job problematic. Also, I may have kinked the second piece a bit -- we'll see ...

I've also used Pacific Classic 17g (very powerful and soft, moved around a lot), BDE 16g (great stuff, but ruined it in the rain), and Klip Legend 16g. Overall, the Klip was the best. It was a bit firmer and stiffer than the others, but very crisp and still powerful and really bit the ball, loaded with feel held tension and playability very well.

I still have Bow 16g, Bow 18g, and BDE 17g that I haven't tried yet.

BC

NoBadMojo
03-05-2004, 06:16 AM
bcaz....i was able to hybrid 1/2 the bow stringset in my cheesy drop weight stringer in a midplus w. 18 mains by using a starting clamp and scrap piece of string to make an extension. since the bow is only 37.5' and the tensioner on my machine is far away from the mount, i had to do this on the last main on each side. hoping this helps . ed

bcaz
03-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Ed. I'll be attempting to string that piece of Bow within the next 10 days or so. I think I did a decent job of measuring the first time, so I should be okay. I'm doing it in and Estusa PBB, 92-inch head, wide-not-so-long, 16 mains. If I run short ... hey, after only seven lifetime self-stringing jobs, there's a first time for everything.

BC

NoBadMojo
03-06-2004, 08:11 AM
bcaz you will be fine if you have precisely 1/2 left w. a 92 head and 16 m's. no worries. ed

joe sch
03-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Hard to top $17.99 for a quality natural string. Cheers to TW !

Gaines Hillix
03-07-2004, 06:21 AM
I've used BDE Performance, BOW Championship and KLIP. I would rank them in that order. The Klip string was not as easy to string as the others(was much stiffer) and I didn't think it played as well as the others(also played stiffer). I prefer a string with a minimal amount of PU or other fillers/coatings.

NoBadMojo
03-07-2004, 09:32 AM
I just tried the Klip Legend for the first time after using BowBrand for a while hybriding w. OGSheep in the x's. Actually, I was sent the Klip XPlosive and the gut mains went in fine, but a KBoom X broke on me out of nowhere, so I had to use my normal OGSheep crosses. I like the play of the Klip better than the BowBrand, and the gut was easier (for me) to string than the nasty KBoom in my cheesy drop weight stringer that I like. The weight wouldnt pull even close to parallel. I dont think stiff strings like poly's work very well in drop weight stringers, and you cant force the weight to close to parallel because that will just stress the frame too much. I was doing the mains as 60 and x's at 56. Anyone have a feel for if this type of string is hard on frames in general? Back to the Klip, as Gaines said there is more coating on the string and the 17ga looks thicker than the Bow17. The strings slide less w. the Klip for some reason, and the Klip performed more powerfully <for me> than does the BowBrand and felt so sweet. I dont know about duraility, but w. the coating it may last pretty well. Anyway, to each their own and feel is subjective and diff strings play diferently at diff tension for diff players, so I dont think my opinion so important. Ed

bcaz
03-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Ed,

Glad you liked the Klip Legend, I agree. Sorry the poly hybrid didn't work out. I have a set of that stuff, but I won't be stringing it right away -- I'll post when I do.

BC