PDA

View Full Version : Scud..... Just Give Up!!!

Manda_D
06-08-2006, 09:44 PM
As Reported in melbournes Herald Sun Newspaper...

New low for Scud
Leo Schlink
09jun06

MARK Philippoussis's career descended to a new low yesterday when he was beaten in the first round of a London Challenger by a man who has spent most of his life hacking around Africa.

South African Wesley Whitehouse, ranked 602nd in the world, added the once-valued Philippoussis scalp to his belt with a comprehensive 6-4 6-4 win at the Surbiton Trophy.
Boasting only one ATP level victory in an anonymous career mostly spread through Nigeria, Rwanda, Kenya and Reunion Island, Whitehouse contrived to embarrass Philippoussis.

Confident of a strong week at the third level of professional tennis, Philippoussis was quickly defeated.

It was his first match since April, with the dual Davis Cup winner sidelined because of chronic left knee soreness.

He had had a course of painful injections to foster cartilage growth in the knee he damaged while dominating Pete Sampras in the 1999 Wimbledon quarter-finals.

Visions of Philippoussis's past glories -- highlighted by two grand slam finals -- must have seemed light years away as the Victorian struggled on his cherished grass.

Philippoussis has been working with former US Navy Seal Markus Heon in a bid to regain fitness.

Heon was behind Philippoussis's surge to the 2003 Wimbledon final, and his win against Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero in the '03 Davis Cup final.

The Scud has wallowed since.

He won only 11 of 30 matches in 2004 and nine of 19 last season. This year, he is 3-5 at ATP and grand slam level and is yet to threaten in Challenger events.

Ranked 167th in the world, Philippoussis has received 17 wildcards in the past 18 months and has again applied for a Wimbledon wildcard.

But unless he is able to parlay his Queen's Club wildcard next week into at least a quarter-finals appearance, his hopes would appear dim.

haha! i seriously think its time for him to just give up and retire. Whats the point really. he should just quit and live off Alexis' trust fund.

arosen
06-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Embarassing. If he werent so rich and lucky with women, I would have felt pity for him. As it is, he is just miserable.

tennisadict
06-09-2006, 12:14 AM
what a waste, give the WC to the better player

Viper
06-09-2006, 12:14 AM
It's time to hang up the racquet.

vive le beau jeu !
06-09-2006, 12:55 AM
one word for giving some courage to you :

... goran !!! ;)

superman1
06-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Such a huge serve and he can't beat a challenger? He must have really hit rock bottom.

babolatPDstandard
06-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Well im pretty sure Whitehouse won US open juniors a while back so hes not unexperienced......or an "anonymous hacker"

J-man
06-09-2006, 04:05 AM
Wow that's to bad. I'm surprised he hasn't hung up the towel.

pound cat
06-09-2006, 04:11 AM
He can't quit. i think a big part of attracting women is that he's a Professional Tennis Player. No tennis groupie wants a has-been . His life really is screwed up.

Manda_D
06-09-2006, 04:25 AM
He can't quit. i think a big part of attracting women is that he's a Professional Tennis Player. No tennis groupie wants a has-been . His life really is screwed up.

haha!!! but he has alexis.. he doesnt need other chicks wanting him.

he should quit and become a tennis coach or open a tennis school. i think that would suit him very well actually.

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 09:15 AM
well hes won a tournament now, what do you say to that?

mavsman149
07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
and Whitehouse not only beat Scud but Gimelstob and Safin in the last two days.

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 09:25 AM
yes hahaha

Tennis_Goodness
07-20-2006, 09:36 AM
No matter how we view him and his dedication to the sport, he truly could love the game.

Hopefully he will find a place for himself once he retires. I think he will, he's still a young guy!