PDA

View Full Version : Federer's break point conversion play this year-a troubled spot.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-09-2006, 05:55 AM
One thing that has hurt Fed all year vs Nadal, in all 3 of his losses to Nadal in fact, is very poor break point conversion, and very poor play on those break point. However it is something he is having trouble with this vs most opponents, not only vs Nadal it seems. I wonder what his stat for the year would be, I suspect not high since every match I follow of his it is a problem. The only difference is vs Nadal he does not get away with it, and it costs him matches, or made the likelihood of him losing the match that much greater. If he had even played decently as far as his break point play this year he would have won atleast 2 of his 3 matches vs Nadal so far, that hurt him in all 3 of their matches. Has anybody else noticed his trouble of playing break points effectively so far squandering two match points vs Nadal in Roma were not only match this year, especialy for a #1 standards? It is no small irony that Federer points, but break points. Snyonymous of his year so far, alot of great tennis, but difficulty of playing break points well.

TheSneakerologist
06-09-2006, 06:02 AM
to bad he just won.

dozu
06-09-2006, 06:12 AM
That is part of Fed's greatness.... he gets too many BPs because he put so much pressure on opp's service.

the rest of the field gets few BPs and therefore may concentrate more on them... for Fed, it's just another point in the match.

the 2 FH MP he missed against Nadal, I think there is psychological effects involved.. hopefully he solves the Nadal problem on Sunday.

highsierra
06-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Nadal's break point conversion at the FO is a much bigger concern. He converted 29 of 87 through the quartrfinal. That's not a good stat going into the final.