PDA

View Full Version : Mark Nielsen banned! (Kiwi Player)

omigod
06-09-2006, 06:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2472137

Quote:

Nielsen, ranked 413 in the world, tested positive for the banned steroid-masking agent finasteride at the Australian Open in January.

A statement on the ITF's Web site said the tribunal accepted Nielsen had taken the substance as part of a medical treatment for hair loss but that his failure to check if the medication contained a prohibited substance indicated a "serious dereliction of duty."

Rhino
06-09-2006, 06:53 AM
as if New Zealand tennis couldn't get any worse! He's an idiot. I'm a kiwi and I know people that know him. He has a really rich family and doesn't have to worry about making money. just goes around playing half-assed tennis for the 'glamour' of being a tennis pro.

we always used to have one player representing us at the slams (Brett Steven, Kelly Evernden, Chris Lewis), but for the last few years it's been dire.

omigod
06-09-2006, 09:01 AM
The dude could have just have hair implants ... if the medicine works, it would have been selling like hot cake around the world now!

ballplayer
06-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Nielsen provided evidence that he had been prescribed and using medication for premature hairloss since 2003. [Similar to the Mariano Hood case]

Finasteride only became a prohibited substance as of 2005. If Nielsen had checked the new PS list for 2005 and later for 2006 he could have known he was using a prohibited substance. He was negligent in his duty to do so. [Similar to the Mariano Hood case]

There was no evidence of enhanced performance here [Similar to the Mariano Hood case]

If Nielson and Hood had taken the right steps in acquainting themselves with the Prohibited Substances list and asked for a TUE for the use of their hair loss medication, they would never have faced a ban. In fact both requested a TUE as soon as they were informed of their respective positive tests, and both were granted one.

I could care less about the lame & old jokes about men and the loss of their hair. What I want to know is how this Nielson case supposedly significantly differs from the Hood case (where the player was not considered to be significantly at fault and for whom the period of ilegibility was reduced to 1 year) yet Nielsen ends up with the max. suspension of 2 years?

J-man
06-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Haha! Ranked so low and using steoids?! I doubt it. I mean I guy that lowly ranked would not want to jepdize his carrer.

Max G.
06-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Haha! Ranked so low and using steoids?! I doubt it. I mean I guy that lowly ranked would not want to jepdize his carrer.

There were steroids or other banned substances in hair-regeneration medicine he took. Nobody even pretended that they were performance-enhancing in those quantities - but they were on the banned substances list, and he was considered to have been negligent in not checking, and hence got the ban.

christo
06-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Should have gotten a toupee like Cliffy.

Court_Jester
06-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Should have gotten a toupee like Cliffy.
Not when you're trying to impress the ladies. :mrgreen: