PDA

View Full Version : Federer-Nadal = Sampras-Agassi ?

djedi
06-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Guys do you think Nadal vs. Federer rivalry going to be as big as Agassi vs Sampras since, well from my point of view, Federer has the same quality as Sampras if not more and for me Nadal = Agassi ( baseliner, flashy clothing, etc ? )
So are they going to be the next Agassi-Sampras thing in the future ?

BabolatFan
06-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Absolutely not!!! Nadal is nowhere near Agassi in prime coz Agassi won all 4 slams. He won his last FO back in 1999. Federer is also closing in and may claim the FO this year. He's gonna be a true legend without a doubt. Nadal on the other hand...um...he's great on clay but not consistent on hardcourt and he got knocked out by James Blake at the 2005 USO and 2006 pacificlife. Slams' draws are fully loaded with a ton of talent. Maybe the FO is Nadal's only road to the slam contest.

johnmcc516
06-09-2006, 07:59 AM
James Blake is no slouch. I look for him to do well at Wimby.

yonex90
06-09-2006, 08:23 AM
No, not unless Nadal gets a lot better on hard court. Right now he is clay only. He will have to get some grand slam wins at the US open, Aus, or Wim before we can compare to that rivalry. I grew up watching Sampras and Agassi. I think some of these other young players may surpass Nadal before too long on hard court. I think Baghdatis, and Gasquet may have give Nadal some competition. I really think that Baghdatis is the new hard court player to watch.

kicker75
06-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Depends where you are too. I can't speak for other geographic locations, but in the US, Agassi vs Sampras was huge...fittingly so, since both were Americans. I don't think Nadal vs. Federer is even close to that rivarly in the US. However, maybe it is in other countries? I don't know.

Think about it...IMO, Blake and Agassi from last year's US Open might have more hype to it than this years FO final...in the US that is.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Definitely not. Federer has to start beating Nadal more often for it to be a rivalry. Right now Federer isnt doing enough to make it a rivalry. That is the truth.

Grimjack
06-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Definitely not. Federer has to start beating Nadal more often for it to be a rivalry. Right now Federer isnt doing enough to make it a rivalry. That is the truth.

Neither is Nadal. Sampras - Agassi was a rivalry because both players were good enough to contend in every slam. Nadal contends in one per year, and even then, only on the off chance he's healthy for it.

Fed - Nadal = Sampras - Kuerten, except Fed is better than Sampras on clay, so gets more chances at the ends of clay tournaments.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Neither is Nadal. Sampras - Agassi was a rivalry because both players were good enough to contend in every slam. Nadal contends in one per year, and even then, only on the off chance he's healthy for it.

Fed - Nadal = Sampras - Kuerten, except Fed is better than Sampras on clay, so gets more chances at the ends of clay tournaments.

I agree, both need to do more. Nadal needs to get far enough to lose to Federer at Wimbledon and the U.S Open, and Federer needs to win some matches vs Nadal on clay and normal hard courts. Neither are doing enough to make it a good rivalry.

oscar_2424
06-09-2006, 08:55 AM
I dont know if they are at the sampras-agassi level, but this rivalry is great to tennis

federerhoogenbandfan
06-09-2006, 08:58 AM
It is a non-rivalry. It should not even be called a rivalry. Federer has to win the final Sunday for it to not become an even more bogus rivalry. If Federer does not win the final people should stop talking about it as a rivalry for good.
I wonder if people thought Graf-Tauziat and Federer-Roddick were great rivalries.

fastdunn
06-09-2006, 09:00 AM
In terms of game style dynamics,
Federer - Nadal = Agassi - Chang

federerhoogenbandfan
06-09-2006, 09:02 AM
In terms of game style dynamics,
Federer - Nadal = Agassi - Chang

I assume you are paralleling Nadal and Chang. If so I agree, just Nadal at a way higher level then Chang was. Federer is not a similar style player to Agassi at all though.

Brettolius
06-09-2006, 09:22 AM
I assume you are paralleling Nadal and Chang. If so I agree, just Nadal at a way higher level then Chang was. Federer is not a similar style player to Agassi at all though.

He's referring to the fact that he believes Federer is a baseliner like Agassi, not so much all-court like Sampras. Which in my opinion is just not the case, but hey, everybody is entitled to think what they will.