PDA

View Full Version : The Demo "Myth"

tennisguy17
07-06-2004, 01:49 PM
I have heard from some people that rackets marked "demo" are of less quality than the regular frame - this is hard to believe; others have told me that they are marked "demo" so retailers get special prices. I am considering purchasing a frame marked "demo" so i was wondering which is true :?:

brijoel
07-06-2004, 02:00 PM
ive never noticed any of the demos being of less quality really. its still from the same mold, same composition, otherwise itd be worthless to demo racquets because you would never get an actual feel for the racquet you were purchasing.......
i say if the demo is in good condition go for it.

PrestigeClassic
07-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Why would they be of less quality? It's the manufacturer's attempt to get their foot in the door.

Hal
07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
... others have told me that they are marked "demo" so retailers get special prices.

This part is true. They may be stamped with "not for resale", too, because the retailers do get them at a special price. Other than that, the racquets are the same quality. I suppose if a manufacturer were smart, the demos may have a minor cosmetic blemish, or something like that. Also, I'm not sure if demos come with warranty?

David Pavlich
07-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Demos are identical, except for demo or test racquet or something similar stenciled on it. However that's only a few of the manufacturers. As an example, a Babolat demo comes shipped the same as if it were a regular racquet...except it comes with a packet of string (usually Xcell 16).

Wilson's demos now have a red bumper guard and are shipped without a cover (thank the Lord!). Many of Prince demos have demo stamped on the throat somewhere.

Head will have Demo on the plastic bag covering the racquet/cover, but what's inside is no different than a regular racquet.

It makes sense that the demos are the same. If the things were of inferior quality, the "demoee" would be getting a false impression of the frame. Why do you think that Babolat sends Xcell with its demos? It ensures that you get a good feel with the frame.

David

Nikeman0092
07-06-2004, 08:25 PM
There are no differences. I own two Prince TT Warriors. One says demo on the neck and it plays no different than the other one.

baseliner
07-07-2004, 04:04 AM
I agree with David P. There are no structural differences in the demo frames. Different manufacturers have different policies. The store I am familiar with (worked there) always strung their demos with top notch string for the simple reason we wanted them to play as well with as much feel as possible. The slight increase in price of string was more thanoff-set by increased sales. On the second point regarding purchasing a demo, as long as the racket is in good shape without structural damage or excessive wear, go for it. In buying you realize you are getting a used frame for a reduced price. The demo may well have been used far less than a frame you buy from a buddy. If the price reduction is adequate you can get a good deal on the demo. One caution, check the grip size. Sometimes demos are 3/8 and may need to be built up with a shrink wrap.

thn7530
07-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Why would a racquet company make their demo's inferior? It would be a bait and switch if they did.

I believe demos are prestrung for dealers.

Steve Huff
07-07-2004, 12:17 PM
All of the demo's I've seen or played with were no different than the ones you could buy off the shelf. The main difference is that demo's don't have a warranty. David, I did notice all the Wilson demo's had a red bumper guard. I thought that was on the Triad series, and that even the regular ones had a red bumper. They all said "TEST" on the inside of the throat though.

David Pavlich
07-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Why would a racquet company make their demo's inferior? It would be a bait and switch if they did.

I believe demos are prestrung for dealers.

Prince strings most of their demos, however, most come unstrung. Dunlop demos come strung sometimes. I prefer the demos come unstrung so I know what tension at which it's been strung.

David

David Pavlich
07-07-2004, 06:49 PM
All of the demo's I've seen or played with were no different than the ones you could buy off the shelf. The main difference is that demo's don't have a warranty. David, I did notice all the Wilson demo's had a red bumper guard. I thought that was on the Triad series, and that even the regular ones had a red bumper. They all said "TEST" on the inside of the throat though.

Steve: Yep...all of the Wilson demos are coming with a red bumper now...even the n-codes. I did notice that "test" isn't on my demos. Why? I really don't know. I just get the red bumper and a wrap around throat sticker that says "demo".

David