PDA

View Full Version : GOAT (clay version)

matty p
06-09-2006, 08:18 AM
with all this talk of federer being considered as GOAT, where does everyone see Nadal in terms of best clay court players ever if he wins the french open to clock up 60 consecutive wins on clay?

Moose Malloy
06-09-2006, 08:27 AM
The 60 straight wins are irrelevant in judging great clay players. Vilas had the previous record & he wasn't even the best clay player of his time, let alone all time.
All that matters are French Open titles, & to a lesser degrees Masters Series titles(Rome, Monte Carlo have always been pretigious titles, going back to the 40s/50s)

If Nadal doesn't win on Sunday, his 59 straight wins will be meaningless, forgotten, etc. And he will have only one French Open title to his name, far less than Kuerten, Lendl, Wilander, Borg.

You need to win FO at least 3 times before even talking about being the best claycourter of alltime.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Nadal has 60 straight wins on clay and 2 French Open titles, and 4 Masters Series titles on clay at only age 20. An incredable feat, even in a horrable field of clay courters today, which he could not control. So I would say for his age anyway he is right up there.

Fedexeon
06-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Nadal has 60 straight wins on clay and 2 French Open titles, and 4 Masters Series titles on clay at only age 20. An incredable feat, even in a horrable field of clay courters today, which he could not control. So I would say for his age anyway he is right up there.

2 Roland Garros titles? Are you sure? So on Sunday he's trying to win his 3rd rite?
Pls, the match is not even started yet, stop making stupid conclusion. If so, then don't watch the Final, as you are so sure that Nadal would win it.

Grimjack
06-09-2006, 08:58 AM
with all this talk of federer being considered as GOAT, where does everyone see Nadal in terms of best clay court players ever if he wins the french open to clock up 60 consecutive wins on clay?

If he wins on Sunday, he will be exactly four French Open titles behind Borg in that debate.

matty p
06-09-2006, 09:08 AM
If he wins on Sunday, he will be exactly four French Open titles behind Borg in that debate.

so therefore if federer wins on sunday, he will be exactly 6 grands slam titles behind sampras for GOAT?

mfa81
06-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Nadal is the best clay player today ! but he isnt the best of all time... maybe he is on the way ! if federer wins on sunday, nadal will still be the best clay player of these days ! like federer is the best on hard, and remember nadal won dubai title ! only one match doesnt metter !

ksbh
06-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Until Rafael Nadal wins at least 3 or 4 French Open titles, he can't even be compared to Bjorn Borg.

But achieving what he has at just 20 is remarkable still.

oscar_2424
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
The GOAT on clay is Bjorn Borg, NAdal has along way to go before being at Borg's level

Docalex007
06-09-2006, 10:48 AM

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

You act like it's 100% sure to happen. Perhaps you act like this so that you feel prepared beforehand, so if Federer does lose, you can say I told you so and move on.

LowProfile
06-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Christ Evert. For the women's side at least.

For mens, I would be inclined to say either Borg or Kuerten. Borg during the primarily wooden racquet era and Kuerten during the modern technology period. Though Nadal is quickly catching up to Guga and Guga was never absolutely dominant like Nadal is right now.

Ripper
06-09-2006, 11:20 AM
goat (gōt)
n.

1. Any of various hollow-horned, bearded ruminant mammals of the genus Capra, originally of mountainous areas of the Old World, especially any of the domesticated forms of C. hircus, raised for wool, milk, and meat.

2. A lecherous man.

3. A scapegoat.

4. Goat See Capricorn.

matty p
06-09-2006, 05:48 PM
goat (gōt)
n.

1. Any of various hollow-horned, bearded ruminant mammals of the genus Capra, originally of mountainous areas of the Old World, especially any of the domesticated forms of C. hircus, raised for wool, milk, and meat.

2. A lecherous man.

3. A scapegoat.

4. Goat See Capricorn.

Exactly my point. Will nadal be known as a hollow-horned, bearded ruminant mammal if he wins?

Duzza
06-14-2006, 03:07 AM
I finally figured out what GOAT means. I kept thinking it had to do something with the meaning of Sheep: someone who is easily persuaded or led. As Federer has so many fans.. Ahh im so stupid

theace21
06-14-2006, 06:44 AM
The GOAT on clay is Bjorn Borg, NAdal has along way to go before being at Borg's level
Borg was amazing!!!