PDA

View Full Version : Good Defensive/Net Racquet

tennisfan21
07-06-2004, 03:20 PM
I am looking for a raquet that:

1. Is a good defensive raquet, that can hit back power shots nicely.
2. Good at the net

Any Racquet sugestions would be appreciated.

Stormwolf
07-06-2004, 03:52 PM
You probably are looking at some of the heavier racquets for more stability. Though I've never tried it, a lot of people are saying good things about the Slazenger X1. Other options are the Head Prestige series or even the Babolat Pure Controls. Also, you can't go wrong with the Wilson Pro Staffs, the classic 85 is a good choice (if you can supply your own power) or maybe even the new nCodes.

NLBwell
07-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I would go the other way, (I think I'm interpreting your situation differently than Stormwolf) toward a little more powerful racket if you are looking to play retriever and want quickness at the net. Certainly not a very light racket, where a hard-hit ball will rip the racket from your hands, but maybe closer to a tweener where you can just get your racket on the ball and still get some depth on the shot. Maybe a Dunlop 300G? If you can add more information about you we can get a better idea of what might help.

tennisfan21
07-06-2004, 07:55 PM
I totally agree with you NB. A too light of a racquet will almost fly from my hands if a hard ball is coming my way...thats why Im having problems with my TT Warrior. Its just too light for any kind of defensive play it seems like. Iv'e heard that the dunlop 300g's grip length is way to small...and it doesnt work well if you have a 2 hander..which i do. So, any other advice would be appreciated.

Stormwolf
07-06-2004, 10:51 PM
If you're having trouble with two-handers I suggest the Babolat PControl Plus. It's almost 12oz and has some extra length to help with the backhands. I find the length VERY useful on my serves & backhands (using PD+).

ismashall
07-07-2004, 11:44 AM
BPC+ = fat slimy slug at net

AAAA
07-07-2004, 12:46 PM
If you don't care for 'image' then try some of those game improvement 110"+ head size racquets. The Head Ti S6 can easily block back heavy pace and you can't miss at the net with that thing. It's so light you'll often be able to take a full swing at volleys for a virtually guaranteed putaway.

Kick Serve
07-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Volkl Tour 8 or go the other way with the Estusa Power Beam Braided.

Stormwolf
07-07-2004, 08:24 PM
The MP version of the Pure Control + is NOT a "fat slimy slug" at the net. It's basically a Pure Drive+ with a bit more flex. I recommend you demo it.

Greg
07-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Wilson ROK
Wilson HPS 6.1

I swear, those two rackets are good for everything.

tennisfan21
07-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Cool....any other recommendations would be awesome!!!

Just to recap.....

Needs to be nice and flexible at the net and needs to handle pace well from the baseline.

Thanks

Stormwolf
07-08-2004, 05:47 PM
"Needs to be nice and flexible at the net and needs to handle pace well from the baseline."

^^^^

Babolat Pure Control Plus - Midplus :)

Flexible + handles pace well but isn't too cumbersome to swing.
It's really worth a demo. If I wasn't so into my pure drives I would switch to the PC+ MP...but.. since my serve is just so forceful, I'll stay on board with my 2x4 for a little bit longer 8).

netman
07-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Pro Kennex 5g or 7g. 5g is better at the net, 7g is better from baseline and for serving. Its also 27.5 in length. Each weighs about 11.5 - 11.7 oz and the Kinetic tech gives great shock protection. They can also be customized to a heavier weight or different balance. Great all around frames.

tennisfan21
07-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Thank you stormwolf...your job is done my friend in posting on the topic...haha..i get that you're passionate about that racquet...and i respect that...im just looking for some other viewpoints.

Thanks