View Full Version : Roddick+Connors and now Murray+Gilbert

sureshs
06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
From BBC Sports

Gilbert in talks to coach Murray
By Jonathan Overend
BBC Five Live tennis correspondent in Paris

Gilbert is a former coach of Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick
American Brad Gilbert could become Andy Murray's new coach after holding talks with the British number two and the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA).

Gilbert, who used to coach Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick, met Murray's agent Patricio Apey and LTA boss Roger Draper in a Paris hotel on Wednesday morning.

Murray, 19, needs a new coach after parting with Mark Petchey in April.

The LTA also needs someone to head its performance programme after sacking David Felgate last month.

The three-way meeting has fuelled speculation that a possible joint arrangement, for the benefit of both the LTA and Murray, has been discussed.

Murray ideally needs a full-time advisor, but the chance of getting help from Gilbert, one of the most successful and respected coaches on the tour, would be appealing.

After his successful partnership with Agassi, Gilbert linked up with Roddick in June 2003 and coached him to the US Open title and the world number one ranking.

Likewise, the LTA is looking to build a team of coaches to take British tennis forward.

Murray parted company with coach Mark Petchey in April

The one stumbling block could be money.

Gilbert was one of the highest paid coaches in the world and now has a lucrative contract with the TV network ESPN.

Draper has said he is willing to pay what it takes to get the best coaches in the world, but Murray may not be able to afford the salary required to tempt Gilbert back on the tour full-time.

After Wimbledon, the LTA will review the funding of all its leading players, including Murray, and Draper might decide to invest heavily in Britain's one world-class prospect for the long-term benefit of British tennis.

A joint arrangement would spread the cost, although there is no suggestion that an offer has been made at this stage.

The LTA says Gilbert is one of many figures in world tennis to have met Draper as the new chief executive searches for the right structure to take the sport forward.

Moose Malloy
06-09-2006, 02:14 PM
but Murray may not be able to afford the salary required to tempt Gilbert back on the tour full-time.

Typical BG. Only hitches himself to the stars.

Volly master
06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
wow..

amazing

sureshs
06-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Was Gilbert waiting to see if Andy would have him back, and then when he hired Connors, decided to go with the other Andy?

Moose Malloy
06-09-2006, 03:19 PM
No. That ship had long sailed. No one ever rehires someone after firing them. Not in tennis, not in any sport.

sureshs
06-09-2006, 03:21 PM
No. That ship had long sailed. No one ever rehires someone after firing them. Not in tennis, not in any sport.

Tommy Haas and the red-haired guy. Tommy fired and rehired him several times.

hoosierbr
06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't think Murray could afford Gilbert's salary - if the Roddicks were complaining about how much he was paid with all of Andy's endorsement money I can't imagine how the Murrays would feel. Plus, Andy Murray is just a teenager with no major contracts, Fred Perry and Head, neither one is paying him the big bucks. At least I wouldn't think.

If Murray needs a full-time advisor I don't understand why he hasn't taken John McEnroe up on his offer. I'm sure Mac would try to accomodate Andy in terms of money b/c he said he wouldn't travel full-time anyway, just would work with him for big tournaments.

I don't see this happening. Even if the LTA were to split Gilbert's salary with Murray their new director is demanding results after years of spending tons of money with little to show for it. With Murray's injury problems and the weight of expectations in the press that's just more pressure he doesn't need and might not be able to handle.

snoflewis
06-09-2006, 03:49 PM

dunno what sports you're watching. LA Lakers and Phil Jackson? George Steinbrenner fired and rehired some guy like 19 times in 5 minutes or something like that.

Moose Malloy
06-09-2006, 03:57 PM
dunno what sports you're watching. LA Lakers and Phil Jackson? George Steinbrenner fired and rehired some guy like 19 times in 5 minutes or something like that.

My bad. But didn't Phil quit, not get fired, from his 1st stint with lakers?

J-man
06-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Finally maybe Gilbert can use his smarts for some real purpose

Court_Jester
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
George Steinbrenner fired and rehired some guy like 19 times in 5 minutes or something like that.
LOL! You're talking about Billy Martin (rest in soul). First hired by Steinbrenner in 1975, fired, came back in 1979, fired again, re-hired in 1983, fired, hired again in 1985, fired and hired and fired for the last time in 1988.

You've gotta love wikipedia! :cool:

CJ

snoflewis
06-09-2006, 04:25 PM
My bad. But didn't Phil quit, not get fired, from his 1st stint with lakers?

there's several views to that story but i believe he was fired. the lakers (mainly jerry buss) was given a choice to stick w/ either shaq or kobe...they chose kobe, and had to trade away shaq and let go of phil jackson because he didnt get along w/ either of them. also, there's the issue of the lakers not being able to win the championship w/ 4 future hall of famers.

snoflewis
06-09-2006, 04:26 PM
LOL! You're talking about Billy Martin (rest in soul). First hired by Steinbrenner in 1975, fired, came back in 1979, fired again, re-hired in 1983, fired, hired again in 1985, fired and hired and fired for the last time in 1988.

You've gotta love wikipedia! :cool:

CJ

lol...i wasnt sure about the guy's name. there was that one press conference where the coach or GM or w/e the guy's position was, said that he'd lead this team and guide them the right way, and steinbrenner said that it was his team and that he was fired and hired and fired and hired like 20 times :)