PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert says Federer/Nadal is 3rd great rivalry of the open era

Rhino
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Great interview with Brad Gilbert today (podcast/audio).

He says that the Federer/Nadal rivalry is the 3rd great rivalry of the modern era after Borg/McEnroe and Agassi/Sampras, and that it's going to be a very difficult final to pick which makes Sunday so intriguing.
check it out:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/player?id=2476926

Also he talks about Jimmy Connors coaching Roddick.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Gilbert also said Nadal would win the French/Wimbledon double someday soon.
:rolleyes:

Moose Malloy
06-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Gilbert also said Nadal can win 7 FOs. I really hope someone hires him, he's really not made for tv.

Rhino
06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Gilbert also said Nadal would win the French/Wimbledon double someday soon.
:rolleyes:
link?

theJuniorACE
06-09-2006, 03:28 PM
link?

i dont think theres a link seeing as how he says most of this kind of stuff during matches and in between matches during tournaments

fastdunn
06-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Following their lengthy discussion on recent trend of retiring during
a match, I predict that one of these two will get some sort of injury
and retire during the final. This will hand the real conclusion over to
a sequol, coming soon, stay ture for the next episode kinda thing...

Rhino
06-10-2006, 01:57 PM
i dont think theres a link seeing as how he says most of this kind of stuff during matches and in between matches during tournaments
Then don't post.
No link, no proof.
Gilbert knows more about this than all the posters on this board combined.

Bring on Sunday!!

Rivalry part 7:) :) :)

Moose Malloy
06-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Then don't post.
No link, no proof.

You don't live in the US so you have no idea what he says on our tv coverage. Before he even beat Puerta last year, he said Nadal would be the 1st player since Borg to win Wimbledon/French Open back to back.
He also said that Roddick would win 7 slams(after he won '03 US Open)

Yeah, he's a regular Nostradamus.

Rhino
06-10-2006, 05:57 PM
You don't live in the US so you have no idea what he says on our tv coverage. Before he even beat Puerta last year, he said Nadal would be the 1st player since Borg to win Wimbledon/French Open back to back.
He also said that Roddick would win 7 slams(after he won '03 US Open)

Yeah, he's a regular Nostradamus.
I'm not trying to be funny, but Nadal has just turned 20 and has barely had a chance to show what he can do on grass. In a decade we may look on this as a reality, whose to know?
I admit that now that seems perhaps unlikely to some people but Gilbert could be right. How can you dismiss his predictions so early when Nadal may have 15 or so years left on the circuit?

Ztalin
06-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Then don't post.
No link, no proof.

Bring on Sunday!!

Rivalry part 7:) :) :)

People can say whatever they want. This is the intenet, not a court room. You don't need to present evidence with everything that you say. Get a grip.

You can choose not to believe it if you like.

Rhino
06-10-2006, 06:09 PM
People can say whatever they want. This is the intenet, not a court room. You don't need to present evidence with everything that you say. Get a grip.

You can choose not to believe it if you like.
OK then I say you're a dick, and Tim Henman is the best tennis player of the modern age, get over it fool

Ztalin
06-10-2006, 06:11 PM
OK then I say you're a dick, and Tim Henman is the best tennis player of the modern age, get over it fool

You're very childish.

slice bh compliment
06-10-2006, 06:11 PM

That was funny.
Wait a minute, Henman? AhHHHah! Who's the fool now, Rhino-san?

Ztalin
06-10-2006, 06:12 PM
That was funny.

He was being overly sarcastic in an attempt to make a point. He failed miserably.

Rhino
06-10-2006, 06:14 PM
That was funny.
What does Rhino-san mean?
Please I want to know.
And yes, oh ***** you got me, Tim is NOT the greatest, boo-hoo it's rusedski.
But you knew that.

Fool.

slice bh compliment
06-10-2006, 06:22 PM
He was being overly sarcastic in an attempt to make a point. He failed miserably.

Oh, yeah, man. I caught that, thanks, though. That's why I said it was funny.
Then I joked about his joke.

slice bh compliment
06-10-2006, 06:25 PM
What does Rhino-san mean?
Please I want to know.
And yes, oh ***** you got me, Tim is NOT the greatest, boo-hoo it's rusedski.
But you knew that.

Fool.

Yeah, I did know that about Rusedski. hahahah, good one!
Oh, and you might want to try decaf. Maybe a beer.
And it is at this point that I will refrain from ending my post with the word fool.

Oh, and Rhino-san is like Miyagi-san. Like Daniel-San. Sort of a Japanese martial arts reference. Nothing to get hung about.

JayxTheKoolest
06-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Rhino is being a fool, but I highly doubt Gilbert said Rafa would win Wimbelton. Gilbert isn't an idiot.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm not trying to be funny, but Nadal has just turned 20 and has barely had a chance to show what he can do on grass. In a decade we may look on this as a reality, whose to know?
I admit that now that seems perhaps unlikely to some people but Gilbert could be right. How can you dismiss his predictions so early when Nadal may have 15 or so years left on the circuit?

LOL! You are an idiot, Nadal with his game style will be lucky to have 5-6 more years on court. 15 years, with his game style playing pro tennis at the top level until he is 35, you are out of your mind!

Rhino
06-10-2006, 06:58 PM
LOL! You are an idiot, Nadal with his game style will be lucky to have 5-6 more years on court. 15 years, with his game style playing pro tennis at the top level until he is 35, you are out of your mind!
ROGER FEDERER(quote): "I think that Nadal has been so strong these last few years. He's shown also on other surfaces, not only on clay. So a number of persons are saying that he can only play on clay, but they have absolutely no idea of tennis, in particular those also who say I can't play on clay, they don't understand tennis either.

You've got to be aware that he's won Madrid indoor, Toronto outdoor against very good players. So in the end, it's being consistent that makes a difference. This is probably our great strength, his and mine. He has a little bit of difficulty on grass, but maybe he hasn't had too many opportunities. We'll see what he does this year."

slice bh compliment
06-10-2006, 07:00 PM
ROGER FEDERER(quote): "I think that Nadal has been so strong these last few years. He's shown also on other surfaces, not only on clay. So a number of persons are saying that he can only play on clay, but they have absolutely no idea of tennis, in particular those also who say I can't play on clay, they don't understand tennis either.

You've got to be aware that he's won Madrid indoor, Toronto outdoor against very good players. So in the end, it's being consistent that makes a difference. This is probably our great strength, his and mine. He has a little bit of difficulty on grass, but maybe he hasn't had too many opportunities. We'll see what he does this year."

Whoa, whoever wrote that knows his shtuff.

Rhino
06-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Whoa, whoever wrote that knows his shtuff.

No no, don't get sucked in, apparently this Fedra character is a bit of a fool

Eviscerator
06-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Great interview with Brad Gilbert today (podcast/audio).

He says that the Federer/Nadal rivalry is the 3rd great rivalry of the modern era after Borg/McEnroe and Agassi/Sampras, and that it's going to be a very difficult final to pick which makes Sunday so intriguing.
check it out:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/player?id=2476926

Also he talks about Jimmy Connors coaching Roddick.

I did not read the article posted, but if that is what he said, I think he is just talking for talks sake. While Federer and Nadal may become a great rivalry, it is way to early to compare it to the ones mentioned.

slice bh compliment
06-10-2006, 07:30 PM
...he is just talking for talks sake....

Brad Gilbert? Brad Gilbert talking for talk's sake? Hmmm.
Well, let me ask you experts this: What do you think Brad Gilbert thinks of his own voice? Does he like the sound of it, you think?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-10-2006, 07:42 PM

That quote has NOTHING to do with how long he will be able to go at it at the highest level, it does not speak to how long he will be able to be on tour, as a top contender, in anyway. It speaks of his ability to play on some surfaces other then clay, something totally different. You said 15 years which would take him until he is 35. With his game style he will be lucky to be a the top level until age 25 or 26 like every past player who has played the way he does. Nadal playing the way he does on the tour as a contender at age 35? :rolleyes:

If I was referring to specific surfaces and not the age-issue, which I was not, talking about him playing well on surfaces other then clay, does not neccessarily mean grass either, so even in that case that quote would be worthless.

Marius_Hancu
06-10-2006, 07:47 PM
I did not read the article posted, but if that is what he said, I think he is just talking for talks sake. While Federer and Nadal may become a great rivalry, it is way to early to compare it to the ones mentioned.

I agree.

FEDEXP
06-10-2006, 08:02 PM
In any case Gilbert's predictions are mush; he's gotten so much wrong at the last two Slams that they laugh at him on ESPN. He also predicted that Hingis was going to take the FO.

Gilgamesh
06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
3rd great rivalry? Not yet.

The Connors/Borg rivalry was more epic than this. What about McEnroe/Connors? McEnroe/Lendl?

Anyways, Gilbert is just creating hype so that people would tune in.

I just hope this match gets the attention of casual fans but alas it is happening in the midst of the World Cup.

This rivalry has the potential to reach Sampras/Agassi heights.

Nothing can touch McEnroe/Borg IMO.