PDA

View Full Version : Nadal is the "Mary Pierce" of the Men's Tour

SteveI
06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Man oh man... Nadal's match time was just under 3 hours. Could have been about 1.5 hours if he did not pull on his pants... get a drink.. walk in circles.. etc.. make the serving wait... etc. It is no wonder he is not spent after each match.. guy takes a 300 - 45 sec breaks each match. BTW... how many times do we have to see his shoes and watch UNCLE TONY coach from the stands.. talk about "The Jordan Rules". Just get to the line and play the points.

Note to Dick Enberg.. shut your pie hole while the ball is in play. Guy needs to retire... hurry back Cliffy.

I am out.
Steve

ACE of Hearts
06-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I am sure Mary Pierce loves Nadal's style:mrgreen: , anyway, i hope we see some warnings in the final.Its irritating at best.It breaks the rhythym of the match.

JayxTheKoolest
06-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Note to Dick Enberg.. shut your pie hole while the ball is in play. Guy needs to retire... hurry back Cliffy.
Steve

Is that that old guy with a soft, creepy voice?

sureshs
06-09-2006, 06:50 PM
He didn't get a full stretch massage or towel all over to cool down or adjust his hair after every point, so he can't be Pierce.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Does Nadal use gamesmanship? Yes. But so do ALL great athletes--in ANY sport. ALL of them do.

conjunctivitis
06-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Mary Pierce is a million times more annoying and she doesn't play lf as well as Nadal!

christo
06-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Does Nadal use gamesmanship? Yes. But so do ALL great athletes--in ANY sport. ALL of them do.
That's why they have rules, sport. Gamesmanship is bending of the rules, hoping nobody will call you on your bull****. The top players can get away with murder if they so choose, look at Mac and Connors. The best thing that ever happened was when Mac got defaulted at Oz Open, he finally got called on his crap. it cost the Tournament ref his career I believe.

mileslong
06-10-2006, 12:08 AM
not true, if youre truly great you dont need gamesmanship to win, fed doesnt use it, neither did sampras or laver etc...

superman1
06-10-2006, 12:12 AM
If no one ever used gamesmanship in the history of tennis, it would be a very boring sport. If all we had were Federer's and Sampras's and Borg's, tennis would put most people to sleep. You need a McEnroe on the other side of the net pointing his racquet at the umpire and scowling.

ppw350Zunit
06-10-2006, 02:40 AM
If no one ever used gamesmanship in the history of tennis, it would be a very boring sport. If all we had were Federer's and Sampras's and Borg's, tennis would put most people to sleep. You need a McEnroe on the other side of the net pointing his racquet at the umpire and scowling.
+1 ;)

pound cat
06-10-2006, 02:52 AM

I don't know if Tim Ryan has a creepy voice, but he's a lousy commentator..and when you have him on with Mary...yikes!

pound cat
06-10-2006, 02:58 AM
It's not gamesmanship that Nadal uses..it's an extended ritual, his compulsive behaviour. Psychologically he has to do it before he can serve, but I wish he'd put it on fast forward.

SteveI
06-10-2006, 02:58 AM

Yes.. that is him.. and he is very scary.

Steve

travlerajm
06-10-2006, 03:14 AM
Nadal is usually playing more defense than his opponent. He knows this.

Defense taxes you more cardiovascularly than offense. He knows this.

Slowing down the match favors the more defensive player. He knows this.

Nadal is a smart player.

Slowing down the match also favors the player in worse cardiovascular shape. Mary Pierce knows this. She is a smart player.

SteveI
06-10-2006, 03:21 AM

Nadal is a smart player.

Slowing down the match also favors the player in worse cardiovascular shape. Mary Pierce knows this. She is a smart player.

I am smart.. I get it. I just do not think it is fair to bend the rules and it sucks to watch!

Regards,
Steve

Manda_D
06-10-2006, 06:41 AM
[QUOTE=travlerajm]

Slowing down the match also favors the player in worse cardiovascular shape. QUOTE]

soooo you could say that djokovic was just 'slowing down' the match when he took 21 bounces of the ball before serving.. ohh yes, i can definitely see the smart playing there.. maybe thats how he felt he had the match under control

Koaske
06-10-2006, 08:02 AM

Nadal is a smart player.

The rulemakers also knew this all and that's why they forbade taking more than 25 seconds between points!