PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone find it disparaging that Roger refers to Nadal's game as "wierd"?

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Does anyone find it disparaging that Roger refers to Nadal's game as "wierd"? I do. A little off the court gamesmanship perhaps? I think so.

I don't think Federer means "wierd" in a good way, although it's possible to use "wierd" in a good way. For example: I think it's wierd that Federer can competently serve-and-volley and approach-and-volley, but is just as competent playing from the baseline. It's wierd in that it's unique.

When Federer calls Nadal's game wierd, I'm not getting that vibe. Maybe that's just me.

Nadal doesn't seem to be taking as many swings, minor as they are, through the press as Roger.

I'm still rooting for Roger though to win the final. I'm thinking he'll get it done in 4. We'll see.

BreakPoint
06-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Nadal's game is "weird" in that it's definitely unconventional. Whereas, Federer has a very "classical" game in the same vein as Laver, Sampras, etc.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-09-2006, 08:13 PM
True, BreakPoint. But again, that's not the vibe I'm getting from Federer. Federer could call Nadal's game unique or unconventional, but instead, he calls it "wierd". Get what I'm saying?

NoBadMojo
06-09-2006, 08:36 PM
I think it's just how Roger speaks as English isnt his first language..I bet he didnt mean weird in a degrading way...he likely meant it more like odd which also doesnt sound great...how about different? In any case..he's right..Nadals game is weird..he's lefty and people have lots of trouble with his spins, but yet he doesnt use his lefthandedness to the most advantage on the serve. his swing path on the forehand has to be the most abrupt on tour. he also plays from REALLY far behind the baseline to ralley and also return serves...very unorthodox but obviously effective on the dirt....weird....;O

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Pretty effective on the slower/medium-paced hard courts as well, Edo.

FedererUberAlles
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
He means unconventional, mostly as something he isn't used to.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Is it possible that his meaning is obscured by the fact that the word "wierd" carries a derogatory connotation?

FedererUberAlles
06-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Is it possible that his meaning is obscured by the fact that the word "wierd" carries a derogatory connotation?

Probably. Federer's starting to trash talk more, so I wouldn't be surprised if *that* was what he meant.

ACE of Hearts
06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, nobody has found a clue in 59 straight matches,Roger was close but not cigar.I will say Nadal in 4 sets until Roger proves me wrong, i am rooting for him of course.His game is indeed weird in a sense that he gets the job doned in an unorthodox way.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-09-2006, 09:06 PM
If Roger keeps coming close he will win the French someday. Nadal wont win it every year, nobody will although Nadal might come close. If Roger continues to play as well as he has on clay and improve he will win it even if he loses this year.

World Class Forehand
06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
In the US Open he called Santoro's and Rochus' style of play "cute."

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-09-2006, 10:44 PM
WCF--Did not know that. Thanks! That's pretty demeaning as well. Roger knows how to psyche out his opponents. Like I said in another thread--all the great ones use gamesmanship, on and off the court.

superman1
06-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Why would he use gamesmanship against people he routinely beats (Santoro and Rochus)??

BTW, it's "weird" not "wierd." And after he described it as "kinda weird" he went on to say how tough a player Nadal is. It's amazing that someone can say one word and have people spin it around on them.

David L
06-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Why would he use gamesmanship against people he routinely beats (Santoro and Rochus)??

If that was why he routinely beat them. Not what I think, but a logical explanation.

ATXtennisaddict
06-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Here we go, overanalyzing one word again.

Weird,unique,unconventional. Let the man pick his words, he doesn't have to frickin think about being politically correct everytime he speaks does he?

HollerOne5
06-09-2006, 11:54 PM
I think it's just how Roger speaks as English isnt his first language..I bet he didnt mean weird in a degrading way...he likely meant it more like odd which also doesnt sound great...how about different? In any case..he's right..Nadals game is weird..he's lefty and people have lots of trouble with his spins, but yet he doesnt use his lefthandedness to the most advantage on the serve. his swing path on the forehand has to be the most abrupt on tour. he also plays from REALLY far behind the baseline to ralley and also return serves...very unorthodox but obviously effective on the dirt....weird....;O

People also have trouble with Federer's many spins and variety of shots, so would you call his game weird? People never talk about it, but Federer puts a bunch of junk on his balls, and even mishits a lot (which land in), especially on the backhand slice, but no one ever refers to his game as weird. He throws tons of players' rythym off completely because he never hits the same shot twice in a row. But everyone praises his game for being so classical. He's greasy.

mileslong
06-10-2006, 12:00 AM
He's greasy. if you think fed is greasy then you must think nadal is a tub of crisco...

HollerOne5
06-10-2006, 12:16 AM
if you think fed is greasy then you must think nadal is a tub of crisco...

He's not greasy in the fact that he wins points accidentally or anything, he's greasy in the fact that has so much work on his ball and hits such variety, it takes people out of their game. You can't get in a rythym because he might hit deep shots, then short shots, might hit a topspin, then hit a slice. And the fact he strings his tension so low, it even puts more weird spin on the ball. All I'm saying is, if people say Nadal's leftiness is hard to deal with, try to go play against Fed's ball.

35ft6
06-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Here we go, overanalyzing one word again.

Weird,unique,unconventional. Let the man pick his words, he doesn't have to frickin think about being politically correct everytime he speaks does he? And you don't have to participate in this thread. This is fun for some people. You don't have to treat it like it's WW3.

I think Federer knows what weird means, and he is slyly trying to trivialize Nadal's ownership of him, but it's funny to me, not offensive. Federer is pretty cocky, I've noticed that he says stuff like this on a semi-regular basis and a lot of what he says jumps out at you simply for being so blunt and truthful.

kooyah
06-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Does anyone find it disparaging that Roger refers to Nadal's game as "wierd"? I do. A little off the court gamesmanship perhaps? I think so.

English isn't his first language, so it's possible you may be reading more into his words than he intends.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-10-2006, 07:56 AM
kooyah--Yeah, NoBadMojo was making this point as well, and it's possible.

Holler--I agree with you. Federer's game is just as "wierd"--in the way you described it and in the way I described it in the OP.

ATX--Saying someone's playing style is "wierd" is not an issue of political correctness, so I have no idea what you are talking about. We're talking about tennis, not politics. Noone is infringing on his freedom of speech--I'm just trying to get to why he described Nadal's game as "wierd".

superman1--He beats Rochus and Santoro, but it's well-known he has trouble with both players. Perhaps this is his way of getting that pre-match mental edge to psyche out these opponents? The same would apply for his "wierd" comment about Nadal.

35ft6--Good points.

DX_Psycho
06-10-2006, 08:10 AM
what the hell is wrong with callign someone's game weird? sounds like you're making problems out of little things. calling people's gameplay cute is more degrading, but it's not like it matters. he can say what he wants. i hate how people try to find faults in federer like you've never talked badly about someone before. if you played someone with crazy spin who was a lefthander, you'd probably describe his playstyle as weird.

Tennis_Goodness
06-10-2006, 08:47 AM
I like Federer because he does not trash talk and lets his raquet do the talking. I've never heard him once say anything bad about a player! Nadal does have a wierd style!

The author of this thread sounds like a fanboy or fangirl of Nadal's!

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-10-2006, 08:50 AM
These last two responses to these threads are plain off the mark--so much so they are comical. But keep the contributions coming.

Rickson
06-10-2006, 08:51 AM

I don't think Federer means "wierd" in a good way, although it's possible to use "wierd" in a good way. For example: I think it's wierd that Federer can competently serve-and-volley and approach-and-volley, but is just as competent playing from the baseline. It's wierd in that it's unique.

When Federer calls Nadal's game wierd, I'm not getting that vibe. Maybe that's just me.

Nadal doesn't seem to be taking as many swings, minor as they are, through the press as Roger.

I'm still rooting for Roger though to win the final. I'm thinking he'll get it done in 4. We'll see.Maybe he means weird as in ugly because that over the head followthrough of Nadal's is damn ugly.

fastdunn
06-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I found Roger's comments are beginning to go somewhere between
straight-forwardness and arrogance. He seems to talk more and more since
he won his 1st slam and became #1. People listen to what #1 says.
IMHO, he'll need to be careful and conservative in his wordings, especially
about other players. As a top dog, a little careless wording can get get
back to him and cost him in some way(mentally or something),IMHO.
He is not quite yet like Hingis who used to have no clue, who got really clueless
and made stupid comments about other players and past champions,
but his comments are getting more and more a little "wierd" recently...

Tennis_Goodness
06-10-2006, 09:41 AM
I couldn't dissagre more, I think everything Federer has said has been spot on and a I respect him because he actually speaks up about the wrongs and faults of other players, and coaches, and himself.

He tells it how it is and he is not arrogant about it, he's just being himself!

fastdunn
06-10-2006, 09:51 AM
I like his straight-forwardness too but I just think he
should be careful about what he says, especially as #1 in the world.
It would be ideal if everyone is straight-forward but
I think this world just doesn't always work that that way.

Tennis_Goodness
06-10-2006, 10:05 AM
His straight forward attitude is well liked by all the players. They all love Federer and have agreed with pretty much everything he has said. They respect him for it. The media is trying to make a big deal out of it but everyone knows what type of person Federer is and everyone around tennis applauds him for it!

I don't think it will cause many problems at all.

skip1969
06-10-2006, 10:37 AM
like none of us have been at the park or the club and said, "that dude on court three's got a weird game." what's the big deal?

federer is just a tennis player. not the king of switzerland (yes, i know they don't REALLY have a king) or the the king of the world (er . . . i mean, the president of the united states). he's just a guy who makes his living hitting a ball over a net. it's always silly to take too much stock in what an athlete says.

federer seems like a very intelligent guy. let the man say what he wants. JEEZ, he has a mike thrust in front of his face every time he stops swinging his racquet for five seconds. reporters are always asking him the same thing over and over. media are always looking for some new story or angle (cos it's just sooo boring that he's just sooo nice - can't have THAT).

for a guy at the top of his field, i don't think he's very controversial. and what if he was?? i get tired of hearing athletes say the same thing to the same questions . . . one soundbite after another. i wish more athletes would express themselves in an honest, and thoughtful way.