PDA

View Full Version : Brad Gilbert is the clown prince of ESPN

dmastous
06-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I lived in Northern California for about 10 years. Brad Gilbert also lives in that area (San Rafael last I heard). He was a fantastic player in a way frustrating his opponents despite having a game, and a serve that was devoid of power even in his day. I watched him lose to David Pate at the LA Open and sat there thinking I could tee off on his second serve.
He was a fantastic coach for both Andre Agassi, and Andy Roddick. He was an infrequent caller on KNBR the San Francisco all sports station up there where he would bend an ear about any sport you wanted to talk about. He would talk baseball, football, basketball and hockey as well as golf or tennis.
I figured he'd be a natural in the broadcast booth. He loves his sports so much and is talkative to a fault.
So why does he annoy me so much in ESPN's booth?
He constantly repeats what he thinks are catchy prhases. He tries to sound with it, but ends up sounding dorky. He looks uncomfortable, and doesn't seem to know when to talk, and when to shut up.
I think he needs to get back to coaching and calling KNBR once in a while.

D-Bomb
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I agree, it almost seems like ESPN put him in the booth to have some weird crazy guy who sometimes has something smart to say. It's too bad, considering what a great mind he is.

FEDEXP
06-09-2006, 09:45 PM
And all those damn predictions; so many of them are wrong, so what's the point?

dmastous
06-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Maybe they thought they had the next Mary Carillo.
I think he has a good tennis mind. I think he is a very smart cookie. However he spends too much time being a clown.

JayxTheKoolest
06-09-2006, 10:27 PM
They probably thought he'd be entertaining. However, I'd like to see if he's coming back for Wimbelton.

framebreaker
06-10-2006, 03:11 AM
gilbert rules!!
just because he doesn't have the primitive hockey ego that doesn't make him less of a serious and smart expert.
he is modest and can poke fun at himself because he is confident and knows what he can achieve if he wants to.
and people can't help but like him.

theace21
06-10-2006, 06:37 AM
dmastous - I used to love when he called KNBR...He is a huge sports fan, unlike most tennis players that don't follow anything but themselves.

dmastous
06-10-2006, 06:44 AM
dmastous - I used to love when he called KNBR...He is a huge sports fan, unlike most tennis players that don't follow anything but themselves.
I agree. I'm not sure why, but I can't watch him on ESPN. I think the whole commentator thing has stilted him somehow. He's not himself, he's some kind of freaky talking head spouting gibberish.

skip1969
06-10-2006, 07:34 AM
I agree. I'm not sure why, but I can't watch him on ESPN. I think the whole commentator thing has stilted him somehow. He's not himself, he's some kind of freaky talking head spouting gibberish.
i mute him. and pray for the day when i can mute the announcers altogether, and still ba able to hear the sound of the ball coming off the racquet, and the noise of the crowd. not THAT would be technology for the greater good of humanity!

i wonder if gilbert talks at the cinema, too . . . while the movie is playing? SSSSHHH!

DashaandSafin
06-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Here is the problem guys.

He looks WAY too uncomfortable in that suit.

Hes like a freakin zombie.

ta11geese3
06-10-2006, 12:17 PM
hehhe gilbert is funny