PDA

View Full Version : TAKE BACK ON GROUNDSTROKES CONTINUOUS OR NOT???

Printer099
03-03-2004, 12:53 PM
wHEN i TAKE BACK MY SWING on a groundstroke, I pause it and keep it still until I am ready to bring it forward. Unfortuntatly this makes me feel like I have to create a lot of momentum on my own and it seems to be causing a hitch where when I get ready to go froward i drop my wrist and then go forward.....Is it better to keep my take back SLOWLY and constantly moving instead of bringing it back and freezing it??????

Bungalo Bill
03-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Printer,

This might be a problem especially if your PAUSE is longer then it should be. The pause should be breif and in a way a continuous motion with a bit of a slow down (for lack of better terms).

However, I find that takebacks of the racquet can very to an individuals style and preference. I am not a proponent of getting the racquet back right away while you get in position. However, there will be a point during your movement to the ball that the takeback will need to happen, otherwise you will be late for the ball. I think taking the racquet back while you move into position can inhibit your footwork and balance moving.

There is definetly rythym involved with the racquet takeback. If you have a loop take back their should be a brief pause before the exection of the forward swing. Gravity and your ability to time the ball will help the racquet smoothly fall as you bring it forward.

If you do not have a loop and you bring it straight back then forward. You will have to recruit more muscle to bring the racquet into the contact point as you do not have the luxury of gravity helping you.

Nothing wrong with the takeback, you just have to realize its limitations. Many players and coaches think the loop in the swing is better - I am one of them. But it doesnt mean the straight takeback is wrong.

When you pause it and keep it still you will have to exert more energy to get the racquet moving forward. If you dont you will have poor racquet head speed and a mediocre shot. Your probably dropping your wrist to get some sort of "snap" on the ball or extra speed on the racquet head. If we are talking about a twohander...I could agree with you. Most of the groundstrokes I recommend keeping a fixed wrist position throughout the stroke.

YOu will need to loosen up your grip a bit, and have relaxed arms as your hitting shoulder drives the racquet forward. I hope that helps otherwise provide some more insight as to how you feel when you hit the ball etc...

To remove a hitch, the best way is to hit balls coming to you very slow. It doesnt seem like much and it is easy to correct a stroke with slow moving soft balls. But what your doing is getting the brain to learn which muscles to recruit and with how much tension. It also provides the brain the racquet path it needs to maintain a good stroke at higher speeds. Obviously, we havent brought up the fact that the hips and your lower body playa roll in this. But if you hit slow balls, easy balls, you will get the feel of how your legs, hips, torso, and shoulders help feed power into the shot.