PDA

View Full Version : Which is a better racquet, POG or Tour 90?

lenosucks
07-06-2004, 05:12 PM
i've been using a babolat pure drive plus for a year or two now, but am thinking about switching to a players racquet. Soooo I demoed a POG and a PS tour 90. I haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet, since they got here this afternoon AFTER I had played. So which one do you guys think is better, and why?

gmlasam
07-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Asking which one is better is really too general and a very subjective question. Only you can determine which racquet is better for "you" by demoing both and compare.

thatballwas_IN
07-06-2004, 08:56 PM
which one is being discontinued and which one has been around for 20+ years?????

Brent Pederson
07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
POG is a lot easier for a mortal to play with, the tour 90 has a sweet spot the size of a dime. The POG also has unbelievably awesome spin available.

jings
07-06-2004, 09:36 PM
About as opposite as you could find in terms of how they'll play - no easy answer there. Wouldn't give the T90 much of a chance given where you're coming from. As has been said T90 being discontinued, so unless you really like it, probably worth thinking about another frame.

Bo
07-07-2004, 06:48 AM
POG is one sweet racket to play with, but I also like my Tour 90 too!
I have both and knocking about with both of them recently. I love the POG for its solid feel (Live Wire 17XP @ 67 lbs) and its excellent spin potential, but find it hard to serve flat because of the headlight balance.
Tour 90 has a denser string pattern than my regular PS6.6 and PS6.0, but the spin potential is almost as good. It's excellent for my single hand backhand and volley. Flat serve is ok, kickers are better though. The real short fall is my forehand with the ball always land inside the service box and power is minimal (17XP @ 63 lbs) . After adding some lead tape at the tip my flat serve regained its weight and forehand goes much deeper but sometimes a little out of control. I have another one strung @ 66lbs but with only a few hits, still trying to find the right tension for my liking.

NLBwell
07-08-2004, 08:43 PM
I played with Wilson Pro Staff's (now 6.0 85) for years and liked the 6.1 a lot, but I hated the Tour 90 from the moment I picked it up. I doesn't flex quite right, the sweetspot isn't right, the weight isn't distributed right. There are some who love it, but based on the comments on this board, it is the least liked Wilson players racket ever (compare it to the almost all positive comments about the new ncode). The POG has survived for these many years because, although it isn't right for everybody it is a quality racket.